[Solved] Installing without LiveCD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
________
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Installing without LiveCD Reply with quote

This is my first attempted Gentoo Installation. It is the Gentoo 2006.1 Minimal CD/Install CD. My predicament is thus: I cannot find any guides that involve installing Gentoo without either internet connection OR LiveCD. Could anyone please point me to one?

Last edited by ________ on Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any. You use an install cd to install. Other installation methods are possible, but not supported.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing Gentoo without a Gentoo CD is fairly easy, almost any other LiveCD (like Knoppix or Ubuntu) will do the job.

Installing Gentoo without an internet connection is much more difficult, not to mention that once you have it installed, updates and installing additional software will be a real pain.
________
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not without a CD. Without a LiveCD.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean ?
Is the CD you are trying to use dead ?
________
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. My problem is that all the guides I have seen either involve using a LiveCD, wheareas my CD is a Minimal CD/Installation CD, or require an internet connection. I have neither. What I was asking was if anyone could point me to a guide concerning how to install Gentoo Linux without a LiveCD or an internet connection. (But still with a perfectly functioning CD)
lma1980
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

________ wrote:
No. My problem is that all the guides I have seen either involve using a LiveCD, wheareas my CD is a Minimal CD/Installation CD, or require an internet connection. I have neither. What I was asking was if anyone could point me to a guide concerning how to install Gentoo Linux without a LiveCD or an internet connection. (But still with a perfectly functioning CD)

You'll need the packages CD and the MinimalCD is a LiveCD but not a full packaged presentation... only what it takes to install Gentoo with an Internet connection or a packages CD. You'll have to set the path to the packages within the second cd and to do so you'll have to fully load the first cd into memory... I think you have enough info to enlighten your self with some web search... :twisted: You can do it!
________
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would indeed explain a lot. Hmmmm.... suddenly those guides start making perfect sense. The installation page specifically names some CDs LiveCDs, whereas the rest are not specified as such. I did not think of the possibility that those CDs not specified as LiveCDs were LiveCDs after all. Well, it seems I made my first major Gentoo mistake simply by being inattentive. Shame on me.

Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated. I shall trouble you no longer... on this subject at least.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: