No sound since gentoo reinstalled & compiled without xmms
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: No sound since gentoo reinstalled & compiled without xmm Reply with quote

After portage message came out that xmms would be deprecated 23 Nov, I reinstalled Gentoo without xmms.

Now I have no sound after logging into KDE. Alsamixer is configured properly with alsasound installed in the default runlevel. I compile my own kernels and have had zero problems prior to reinstalling without xmms in anticipation of it being pulled later this month.

Do I need to install an alternate player such as audacious or amarok to be able to hear the .ogg files? I know I would need one for video, but I'm not sure if one is needed for the other files, including .wav files. All other media plugins were installed as I did the old monolithic emerge kde, so I'm pretty sure, absent a player, everything else (including the kitchen sink!!) is there.

Thanks,
Gary :o
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I read a thread somewhere where they determined that KDE *has* to have xmms for sound support. The people were very impressed with the Gentoo devs after they discovered that... Try searching the forums using Google. (since you will never find it using the forum search... :()
glowworm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post your emerge --info.

In particular I would be looking to see arts is enabled. If not there it could be your culprit. If it is then sorry I can't help more.

As far as audio/video programs I have xine-lib/xine-ui, amaroK and mplayer, no xmms on my system at all.

Both the xine and mplayer engines can do .ogg fine (plus about anything else that is reasonable), the frontend is up to your preferences.

Here is flameeye's blog post: http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2006/10/23/tiredness-2

Just to make sure can you confirm you have done an emerge -puDNv world to see it's clear?
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glowworm,

How do you check to see if arts is enabled?
Here's the output of emerge --info:

gentoo ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.1-r1 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0, 2.6.19-rc4-mm1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.19-rc4-mm1 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Last Sync: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 17:00:01 +0000
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-java/java-config: [Not Present]
dev-lang/python: 2.4.3-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache: [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache: [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.60
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils: 2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r4
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.22
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.17-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -s"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X alsa apache2 apm arts berkdb bitmap-fonts cli cracklib crypt cups dlloader dri eds elibc_glibc emboss encode esd foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 iconv imlib input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog jpeg kde kernel_linux libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl oss pam pcre perl png pppd python qt3 qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session spell spl ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev userland_GNU video_cards_apm video_cards_ark video_cards_ati video_cards_chips video_cards_cirrus video_cards_cyrix video_cards_dummy video_cards_fbdev video_cards_glint video_cards_i128 video_cards_i740 video_cards_i810 video_cards_imstt video_cards_mga video_cards_neomagic video_cards_nsc video_cards_nv video_cards_rendition video_cards_s3 video_cards_s3virge video_cards_savage video_cards_siliconmotion video_cards_sis video_cards_sisusb video_cards_tdfx video_cards_tga video_cards_trident video_cards_tseng video_cards_v4l video_cards_vesa video_cards_vga video_cards_via video_cards_vmware video_cards_voodoo vorbis xml xorg xv zlib"
Unset: CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

and the system is up to date as seen below:

gentoo ~ # emerge -puDNV world
Portage 2.1.1-r1 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0, 2.6.19-rc4-mm1 i686)

Thanks,
Gary :(
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How do you check to see if arts is enabled?

You do a emerge --info | grep arts. That has the effect that the output of the command "emerge --info" is searched for occurrences of "arts" - if that word appears anywhere, it is shown then.

In your case the "arts" USE flag is enabled.

I would recommend you to check if sound is enabled by doing a "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp". If sound is enabled, you should hear something. :wink:
SlackwareInAZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no output with /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp (hangs in console)

Just to summarize, never had any sound problems with Gentoo and KDE until xmms removed.

Since the reinstall, no sound. Alsa seems to be configured properly. A full monolithic KDE install didn't seem to emerge what I need.

Do I need a player to replace XMMS to play .ogg files, etc, or should the existing plugins do the job?

Running out of ideas so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary
glowworm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlackwareInAZ wrote:
no output with /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp (hangs in console)

Then this should probably be looked at, I know it sounds obvious but is your ALSA volume set? Having no volume would cause what looks like a console hang on that command and would mean KDE wouldn't play audio while xmms used to. alsamixer is the program from the alsa-utils package. From the console, before starting X are you able to aplay anyaudiofile.ogg or speaker-test? (both in the alsa-utils package)

Quote:
Just to summarize, never had any sound problems with Gentoo and KDE until xmms removed.

Since the reinstall, no sound. Alsa seems to be configured properly. A full monolithic KDE install didn't seem to emerge what I need.

Do I need a player to replace XMMS to play .ogg files, etc, or should the existing plugins do the job?

Arts should do it for you, and you have it compiled in, you don't need an external audio player as KDE will play through arts - although you can emerge things like picoxine and use them if you like.

Once you can get sound from the console I would probably check the audio settings in control centre to ensure they were back to defaults.

KDE does work without a trace of xmms.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand a word of what is being discussed here :P

KDE can work perfectly without xmms. Even more, no kde program that I can think of right now, do support xmms unless explicitly compiled to do so. And, in any case, the support is always optional. Even the arts support is optional, except for a few freakin' programs like noatun and kboodle.

Even if the thing worked before, you *should* check that ALSA is working fine. Just do "play <whatever.mp3>" for example to check that. Check also alsamixer, in case your config has been altered and there is a mute somewhere.

Even more, kde does not even need arts since the -r3 release to play the system sounds. You can just go to kcontrol and specify an external sound player to play the system notification sounds, like the commandline tool "play".

If you can make any sound using play in command line, then we can start looking elsewhere, but the first thing to look at is ALSA.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
I'm pretty sure that I read a thread somewhere where they determined that KDE *has* to have xmms for sound support. The people were very impressed with the Gentoo devs after they discovered that... Try searching the forums using Google. (since you will never find it using the forum search... :()

I think they must be mistaken. I have never had xmms on my system ever, and sound has always worked. (KDE)

glowworm wrote:
In particular I would be looking to see arts is enabled. If not there it could be your culprit. If it is then sorry I can't help more.

With latest kdelibs arts isn't required.

Did you really reinstall just to remove xmms? doesn't make a lot of sense.

Either way, follow what 6thpink said. Test sound from command line and work yourself up to KDE to narrow the real culprit.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

I think they must be mistaken. I have never had xmms on my system ever, and sound has always worked. (KDE)

Yes, I forgot that. I am a kde (also fvwm, but I do use kde a lot) user since quite some years ago, and the last time I had xmms installed it was in a Debian woody box, some years ago as well, and the sound has always worked without a single trace of xmms on any of my machines.

So... :P Unless someone patched kdelibs with a builtin -and of course, Qt-ized version- of xmms, I can confirm that no xmms is needed at all in Kde. No arts is needed either.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
Headrush wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

Yes, I forgot that. I am a kde (also fvwm, but I do use kde a lot) user since quite some years ago, and the last time I had xmms installed it was in a Debian woody box, some years ago as well, and the sound has always worked without a single trace of xmms on any of my machines.

So... :P Unless someone patched kdelibs with a builtin -and of course, Qt-ized version- of xmms, I can confirm that no xmms is needed at all in Kde. No arts is needed either.

As with anything you read, my posts should always be taken with a grain of salt. (which is why I told them to search for the post ((so that they could decide for themselves)))
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: