CDRW Problems revisited
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guiver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: CDRW Problems revisited Reply with quote

Hi,

I have 2 ide cdrw(s), one of which is also a dvd player. I have both working great in Slackware 9, but I am having a devil of a time getting them to work in Gentoo.

I emerged cdrtools and could only get a result when I passed dev=ATAPI (scsibus 0,0 and 0,1). without, it just says that there is nothing in /dev/pg*

I have ide-cdrom compiled directly into the kernel and sg and ide-scsi and scsi emulation as modules. Yes, I checked to see if they are loaded and they are.

The problem is that I don't know what to call the cdroms in fstab. In Slack 9, they are /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1. They show during Gentoo boot as hdc and hdd (just like slack). There are, however, no such devices in /dev (scd0 and scd1, that is).

I don't know how to identify the two cdroms to fstab in a way that xmms (and other programs) can use them. There is a /dev/cdroms directory, but I don't see what that is used for. I can get nothing to see the drives (xmms or KDE's cdplayer).

I have tried most of the solutions that are in the forum, to no avail.

Thanking you for your patience with a Gentoo newbie.
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CDRW Problems revisited Reply with quote

guiver wrote:
I have ide-cdrom compiled directly into the kernel and sg and ide-scsi and scsi emulation as modules. Yes, I checked to see if they are loaded and they are.

This won't work. If ide-cd is compiled in then ide-scsi won't work. It is sort of a first come first served never to be parted kind of thing.

I've got ide-cd compiled in and I can run cdrecord with dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdX. The line in my fstab starts with
Code:
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom

This didn't have to change when I migrated from scsi to ide. The new devfs system can be a little confusing at first. Devices spring into existence when they are required so it is not unusual to be "missing" devices under /dev before they are used. This should be enough info to get you started (unless something is broken :) ).
guiver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the problem is that I am used to "heavy" distros that tell you EVERYTHING that is going on. Both cdrws (dvds) are working great. KDE's cd player does not have any sound with alsa. With some much appreciated help in the IRC chatroom, I got xmms working great, xine is also perfect, as is grip, although I don't know how to tell it (in graphical mode) how to read the music cd faster than 1x.

Appreciate the reply, sorry, I am not used to having a really compact, customized distro...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: