Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Install with modem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Install with modem Reply with quote

I'm trying to install gentoo 1.2 with the 16mb iso using my modem to get to stage 3. However, I can't wvdialconf to detect my modem.
I can modprobe my modem with isapnp, but I'm not sure what to do next. there is no /dev/ttys0 or /dev/modem. Can someone give me the steps up to using wvdial.

Thanks,
Princess Firefly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: eeks Reply with quote

wow, that's going to be a long download...

On my system there is a /dev/ttyS0 (note capital s not lowercase). The way devfs handles this is it creates the device in /dev/tts/ and then makes a symbolic link from /dev/tts/0 to /dev/ttyS0 for programs not used to devfs.

Try using /dev/tts/0 as the modem or /dev/ttyS0 with the capital S if you haven't already done so.

If that doesn't work, it probably has something to do with your devfsd.conf file. Try looking around the net for help with this *shudder* devfs is a great idea but the config file for it is the messiest pile of crap I've ever seen.

Hope that helps,
The Princess
anony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya the download sucks, but that's all I have right now - I'll leave it over night if I can get the modem to work.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a /dev/tts/ so I guess I have to make those somehow ...???

Thanks
bob5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: eeks Reply with quote

[quote="Princess Firefly"]wow, that's going to be a long download...

On my system there is a /dev/ttyS0 (note capital s not lowercase). The way devfs handles this is it creates the device in /dev/tts/ and then makes a symbolic link from /dev/tts/0 to /dev/ttyS0 for programs not used to devfs.
<snip>
Thanks for the DEVFS info its the best how-to i have seen, and it got this up and running!!
bob
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: