Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Whither XMMS? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nirax wrote:
Quote:
The hell? XMMS kicked out for bugs? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why not kick out Xorg, KDE, the nvidia binary drivers too? They have bugs. Not only that, XMMS has over 5 years of accumulated plug-ins. Nothing else comes even close.
When did Gentoo get so ideological? My distro does not get to tell me which media player is in my best interests.

i second to that, and im concerned.
I've softened my stance since then remember. Audacious' a direct XMMS descendant so will do what we want, if not now, then soon.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:
I've softened my stance since then remember. Audacious' a direct XMMS descendant so will do what we want, if not now, then soon.

I only faintly hope we won't have to start all over again in 3-5 years. And life is short.
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nirax wrote:
01mf02:

i understand that xmms was developed using gtk1 and an older glibc and that no one is porting it to gtk2 from the old dev team. There is a movement creating xmms2, but it seems that this could become some kind of completely new product + its not there yet.

There is a ton of ppl who actually thinks xmms would exactly fit their needs.
In the dev newsgroup i couldnt find much of a discussion about possible choices for the user.

can it be made static for those who like continuing using it?
is there a problem holding also gtk1 for backward compatibility ?

with glibc there may be actually a problem and some more patching needed, but this point was not discussed at all so far.

I think that if you want a static version (seems like a quite good solution to me), you could try to make one yourself. Hey, once I've also written my first Ebuild, so why shouldn't you? :wink:

Quote:

i was surprised to find that xmms is being taken out of portage for bugs and such. but i never found any bugs and xmms works perfectly on my desktop.

As I said before, the description "bugs" doesn't really describe it perfectly. Calling it "unmaintained" or "abandoned" would have been better.
gian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: midi capable player Reply with quote

is one of the suggested players capable of playing MIDI files like xmms (+midi plugin... rather poor, but working) ?

(there should be a special category for sw like xmms, something like "saveware" gentoo developers should seriously think about: a sort of "unsupported" class of ebuilds, so that people wanting to keep using their xmms, maybe with user designed, never released skin (and understanding that no one will ever listen to any bug report and no guarantee is given cregarding safety, and "if your computer blows up we told you"... etc) can still do it.... just plain hard masking is a bit to hard for xmms, I believe.... (and... yes, I am convinced that no credibility would be lost if an action like the xmms hard masking was retracted)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gian,

The option you want is called your local overlay. There is no herry to act. Even when the xmms ebuilds have been removed from the portage tree, you can still find them in the gentoo CVS.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: midi capable player Reply with quote

gian wrote:
is one of the suggested players capable of playing MIDI files like xmms (+midi plugin... rather poor, but working) ?

(there should be a special category for sw like xmms, something like "saveware" gentoo developers should seriously think about: a sort of "unsupported" class of ebuilds, so that people wanting to keep using their xmms, maybe with user designed, never released skin (and understanding that no one will ever listen to any bug report and no guarantee is given cregarding safety, and "if your computer blows up we told you"... etc) can still do it.... just plain hard masking is a bit to hard for xmms, I believe.... (and... yes, I am convinced that no credibility would be lost if an action like the xmms hard masking was retracted)

AMidi-Plug in audacious can use a hardware synth, or play via fluidsynth.
Eddward
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasketCase wrote:

Con: I have found a few old style module songs that do not work in audacios but worked fine in xmms with both players using the modplug plugin. The ones that don't work are mostly .669 files (in fact I had only 1 .669 file that worked). I went through my entire collection (788 songs) and posted the 15 that don't work here: http://www.sanitarium.net/stuff/tracker/audacious_problems/

Con: I still haven't found a skin that I really like (yes, I know this isn't really audacious' fault). I am currently using the old x11amp (dbase) skin which came with xmms. I would actually be perfectly happy with a port of the default xmms skin but this one is tollerable.

The lack of 669 is a problem for me. I still haven't figured out what all isn't recognized. The window that shows unregonized files only shows 2 or 3 files at a time and my directory is full of valid missed. I wish the dialog that shows unrecognized files could be grown or that the list could be saved. I have a lot of files from the hornet archive and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other files that mikmod could play that modplug and dumb doesn't.

However, modplugplay can play 669 files. I'd think the modplug plugin ought to be able to handle 669 files too if audacious would let it.

I don't care for the themes either, but I'd prefer to do as I did with XMMS. Double size the window and shade it so I can put it at the bottom of the screen.

Between audacious and gstreamer, anyone care to guess which is less likely to be pushed off the face of the earth xmms style? At the moment, I don't know which one I trust more, but if I have to change, I think I'd be just as happy to write my own media library in wrapper scripts for gstreamer.
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked with the Audacious devs (Chainsaw) on IRC on the 669 problem. Turned out it was a bug in their magic number detector. That should be fixed in the next version.

Yes, I still want doublesize too but it doesn't look like they are interested. They have talked about a future scaling option that will make it bigger but not as big as doublesize :(
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you have module files that modplugplay can play but audacious can't (other than the 669 files) you should jump on the audacious IRC channel and send a copy to Chainsaw. He can look at them and figure out why they won't play like he did for my .669 files.
Eddward
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks.
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me there is still the issue with my no-X music box. NoXmms and the Xmms control API worked like a charm.

And now? Switch to Mplayer in slave mode (control by command\n on standard input)? But what about Mplayer's ability to use Xmms plugins?
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's a shame that xmms isn't developed anymore. It always was THE musicplayer for all folks coming from windows, that where used to winamp. All other players (besides mpd, which rules them all) have one or more problems.

Audacious doesn't support resizing of the main window, doulbe-size got removed, well...if they think that's a great idea, they shall go for it. They'll be dead in 5 years, more or less, when people get even bigger monitors with resolutions like 2000x4000 or something. Then audacious will be 1/16 inch on the screen and everone needs a magnifier to press a button.

But well...muine, rhythmbox or banshee, the other players that were suggested as an alternative, need about 75 dependencies for a non-gnome system. BMPX needs about 28 dependencies. A little too heavyweight, if you ask me. Amarok "only" needs 8 deps, but with kdelibs under those, which takes hours to compile ;)

Sure, maybe some of those deps could be avoided by restricting some useflag, but well...i got a fully functional multimedia-capable fluxbox system up and running for years now, why should i change everything for some halfbaken audio-app?

Ok, nuff said. Aren't there any great gui-audioplayers with low deps out there for the times in live you want a nice gui to look at? Please tell me some if you can ;)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
gian,

The option you want is called your local overlay. There is no herry to act. Even when the xmms ebuilds have been removed from the portage tree, you can still find them in the gentoo CVS.

It surely is a solution, but so is getting xmms tar.gz from xmms CVS (which, BTW, has versions as young as of August 2006) and installing with ./configure, make, make install in /usr/local. Which is, in a way, a cleaner strategy since it keeps the results of your exprimentation separate for a (stable) system. And you don't have to rely on unmaintained hacked (perhaps by yourself) e-builds that can mess your system if buggy.

Suggestions to use things as overlays and injects become more and more frequent recently which, I'm afraid may be a sign of Gentoo unraveling as a distribution.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo,

You don't do any ebuild hacking at all. You preserve (or fetch) the xmms ebuilds in your local overlay, where they will work the same as they always have. Of course, over time, everything else that xmms depends on will move on and eventually they won't build any more.
Meanwhile you have the same version of xmms as you have today.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
DeliciousT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been using audacious for a week or so now, and I have to say that I'm already quite fond of it. I especially like the playlist transparency as well as playlist font control. The popup album art is a beautiful feature as well. What is the status of the libvisual compatibility? The audacious FAQ says "temporarily removed" - how temporarily? I look forward to being able to use projectM (Milkdrop,) the greatest visualization for any os, and crowning achievement of my "my gentoo media center can do everything and mroe than your windows box" claim. Audacious is already the better player, but I can't get rid of xmms until I've got my visual fix - thanks in advance for all the hard work!
DeliciousT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, didn't see the extra thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-510532.html
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
dmpogo,

You don't do any ebuild hacking at all. You preserve (or fetch) the xmms ebuilds in your local overlay, where they will work the same as they always have. Of course, over time, everything else that xmms depends on will move on and eventually they won't build any more.
Meanwhile you have the same version of xmms as you have today.

Right, but what do I gain by having an extra layer of scripts that I'll have to maintain versus ./configure, make ??
The point of portage is that there is an alive community behind which encorporates ongoing changes and which maintain its presentation to the users as ebuilds. If I have a static setup that I have to maintain myself with no hope that the next emerge --sync has the solution,
a pure ./configure, make seems much easier.

Ebiuilds are good for distributing ready packages and patches, not for maintaining them. So I'd advice - if something is not a part of portage,
don't pretend it is, bite the bullet and maintain it as cleanly separate as possible. Overlays are short term bandaids which will be just in your
way in the longer run.

Actually as we speak I just went and compiled CVS xmms - needed just 3 lines patch to get compiled with gcc-4.1 which took 6min of research
- not too bad for buggy unmaintained software :) Just for fun - will see how it works :)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to troll and if developers do not want to maintain the package it is their decision.
The reasons are, as I undrestand is that with no upstream delepment it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain and overall
xmms is buggy, perhaps has to be coerced to be even compiled and takes too much time. Are they ?

Today I just decided to compile the original xmms from xmms CVS just to see how problematic it is and was a bit suprised.
With all its inactivity

1) It has a version as late as of August 2006
2) It compiles almost cleanly under gcc-4.1.1. One needs 3 liner patch
3) Patch is readily available from the xmms-bugzzilla
4) The patch is actually confiined to 2 lines in in header files in infrared plugin and 1 line in the headers related to 'esd'

I thought I need to check if this sufficient or, perhaps too simplistic.

So I look at the 2.3.0 gentoo patch of my stable xmms-1.2.10-r15 set to see if they did something else. And I see

5) The latest xmms main body stable Gentoo patchset is over a year old, of May 2005.

So for this buggy, difficult to maintain, software nothing had to be done in over a yea to keep it running with the bugzilla not getting overflown,
and it compiled cleanly through major (3->4) gcc upgrade, which happens once in several years !

What a piece of junk with a broken codebase ! :lol: Surely needs to be urgently purged out of sight !

Yes, I realize that one of the plugins (xmms-ir) perhaps hit the need for this two-liner patch to compile, and that plugins are perhaps more
buggy. But hats off for XMMS developers, and I hope the developers of the current players willl not have to hear
similar evaluation of their work from some distributors in 5 year time. Good luck to them. :!:
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you with the fact at it is a tarball from august 2006 and at gentoo don't even try to incorpore it in portage. That's for the short term.

But on the long run xmms is not a viable option. Just read the comment about xmms on the xmms2 website. Xmms is so hard to modify at when you do a modification on a component, you break something else.
zsitvaij
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
I really don't want to troll and if developers do not want to maintain the package it is their decision.
The reasons are, as I undrestand is that with no upstream delepment it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain and overall
xmms is buggy, perhaps has to be coerced to be even compiled and takes too much time. Are they ?

GTK+-1.2*.

'nuff said.
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stahlsau wrote:
Actually it's a shame that xmms isn't developed anymore. It always was THE musicplayer for all folks coming from windows, that where used to winamp. All other players (besides mpd, which rules them all) have one or more problems.

Audacious doesn't support resizing of the main window, doulbe-size got removed, well...if they think that's a great idea, they shall go for it. They'll be dead in 5 years, more or less, when people get even bigger monitors with resolutions like 2000x4000 or something. Then audacious will be 1/16 inch on the screen and everone needs a magnifier to press a button.

Actually, we put it back. See: http://viewsvn.atheme.org/audacious?rev=2833&view=rev
(and it's been improved since that initial commit, don't worry. :P)

Thanks.
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha

I especially like the part about it wanting us to die in fire :)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsitvaij wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

GTK+-1.2*.

'nuff said.

There are other packages still on gtk+-1.2. Not many, but some. Like fvwm.
But even more, I have a list of internally written applications/GUI's forourscience projects which use gtk+1.2 .
So I'll have to have this library installed forever (whatever forever means) anyway
(and a distribution that supports it :D )
BasketCase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
There are other packages still on gtk+-1.2. Not many, but some. Like fvwm.
But even more, I have a list of internally written applications/GUI's forourscience projects which use gtk+1.2 .
So I'll have to have this library installed forever (whatever forever means) anyway
(and a distribution that supports it :D )

Not my version of fvwm :P It predates gtk+ by several years.

However, you are right. There are other packages that depend on gtk+-1.2 (xscorch!, flac, ee). Of course I have only looked at this list with revdep-rebuild. It is possible that those programs only linked to it because it was there and that they would happily use gtk+-2 instead or would even work fine without gtk at all.

It sure seems like these other minor programs should have been eliminated before the exteremely popular xmms.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
I agree with you with the fact at it is a tarball from august 2006 and at gentoo don't even try to incorpore it in portage. That's for the short term.

But on the long run xmms is not a viable option. Just read the comment about xmms on the xmms2 website. Xmms is so hard to modify at when you do a modification on a component, you break something else.

I do not disagree with that. Is is just that I from this forum I was left with impression that xmms is already falling apart.
While my experience have shown that its problems are still in the future, perhaps not that remote one, of course.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: