Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Best compilation flags (CFLAGS, LDFLAGS)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Best compilation flags (CFLAGS, LDFLAGS) Reply with quote

Hi,

I think this is a crucial issue for any Gentoo fan - how to tweak the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS for the programs to run faster?
This is such a basic question but I found contradictory reports concerning the use of -Ox, in particular some recommend -O2, some -O3 and some -Os. I have never gotten myself to do a real benchmark of the difference, maybe one of you have?

As far as my system goes, I am using CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -Os -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -ffast-math"
(apart from python and openoffice, where -ffast-math breaks things) and am wondering if this is the optimal flag set for my processor.
For the LDFLAGS I use "-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--hash-style=both" and prelinking, but I can't say that the result is spectacular. Maybe I am missing something?

I was also wondering which packages it is possible to compile with Intel C/C++ Compiler, as this one seems to give a ~20% boost in typical algorithm run time. bzip2/gzip and perl might be a good starting point, I guess it's impossible to compile KDE or OpenOffice that way. Has anyone tried ICC with any bigger packages? Yes, I have read the wiki.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Portage & Programming.

[mod]As you're asking some support questions, I've moved this thread to P&P.[/mod]

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
synss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briefly, I believe all pentium-m have a large cache (mine has 2MB L2 cache) so -Os is useless and -O2 is better. For the rest, "-pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" is enough.

leaving
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Rice in a chroot if you want to and benchmark, results obviously vary from computer to computer.
RoundsToZero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone speak on the performance/stability issues with -mfpmath=sse? On the one hand, the gcc manpage doesn't describe it as an "experimental" feature, but on the other hand, it's not automatically enabled with -march=pentium3 and higher, or with -mssex, which seem like the only things it depends on.

Edit: That looked less like "sex" when I typed it originally.

Last edited by RoundsToZero on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not set the -mfpmath option. It's best to let the compiler figure it out by itself.
bubbl07
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-fomit-frame-pointer is redundant (at least in GCC 4) when using the -O* flags.
Code:
-fomit-frame-pointer
    Don't keep the frame pointer in a register for functions that don't need one. This avoids the instructions to save, set up and restore frame pointers; it also makes an extra register available in many functions. It also makes debugging impossible on some machines.

On some machines, such as the VAX, this flag has no effect, because the standard calling sequence automatically handles the frame pointer and nothing is saved by pretending it doesn't exist. The machine-description macro FRAME_POINTER_REQUIRED controls whether a target machine supports this flag. See Register Usage.

Enabled at levels -O, -O2, -O3, -Os.

(http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options)
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-fomit-frame-pointer does not appear to have changed from previous versions of gcc.

it's always had an effect on x86 beyond the -O's, because it breaks debugging
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-O also turns on -fomit-frame-pointer on machines where doing so does not interfere with debugging.
from the same link.

On x86 it interferes with debugging, so it is not included in any -Ox flag. On amd64 it is included.
geekounet
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoundsToZero wrote:
Could someone speak on the performance/stability issues with -mfpmath=sse? On the one hand, the gcc manpage doesn't describe it as an "experimental" feature, but on the other hand, it's not automatically enabled with -march=pentium3 and higher, or with -mssex, which seem like the only things it depends on.

Edit: That looked less like "sex" when I typed it originally.

Never had a problem with -mfpmath=sse,387, both on a pentium3 and a pentium-m computer.
tboloo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some time of playing with C/LDFLAGS you'll try some Ubuntu or other distro and you'll that it's only maybe 10percent slower and hell more stable. I used to experience a lot with various flags and ended with -O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe which is quite sufficient and what's more everything comiles flawlessly.
stahlsau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After some time of playing with C/LDFLAGS you'll try some Ubuntu or other distro and you'll that it's only maybe 10percent slower and hell more stable. I used to experience a lot with various flags and ended with -O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe which is quite sufficient and what's more everything comiles flawlessly.

ACK, except for the other distribution. Screw it, you can change every damn cflag out there and you wouldn't even notice the difference. Leaving alone measure it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: