Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
sun-jdk 1.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: sun-jdk 1.4 Reply with quote

I have a problem with installing Sun's JDK 1.4; I've searched the forum but can't find any mention of this problem.

I've followed the instructions from the Docs (Downloaded the shell script from Sun, copied it to /usr/portage/distfiles, "emerge sun-jdk...), but it still refuses to install....

The ebuild looks for j2sdk-1_4_0-linux-i386.bin, but the file downloaded was j2sdk-1_4_0_01-linux-i586.bin. In my infinite wisdom :roll: I simply edited the ebuild to look for j2sdk-1_4_0_01...; this resulted in successful unpacking but an error in the checksum. I tried again by renaming the actual file. I also downloaded the file again, just to be sure it wasn't corrupt.

I am definitely a n00b with both linux and Gentoo, but it seems the ebuild checks for the file then prints the shell script to install.sfx beginning with the 295th line. It then chmods the script, executes it, and deletes it.

Since the error occurs during checksum, I assume that unpacking is successful, and that the script is executed. However, that's as far as I can get because the merge will quit with an error about the file being corrupt.

I assume a possible reason could be that the script checksums itself, and the check fails because the license agreement has been stripped out. However, the earlier jdk versions do merge, so this might be a new "feature."

Are there any ideas on how to fix this?

Maybe write an identical ebuild that doesn't strip out the license agreement?
jdc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the original poster...but forgot to login.

Anyhow, I read a little more into the shell script, and it looks like it the error is because the script checksums itself. There are probably more elegant solutions, but I'm going to try and simply rename /usr/bin/sum so that the script won't be able to find sum to do the checksum...looking at the script, it should just skip checksumming and continue installing.

Hopefully, this thread might help someone else with the same problem.
Saphlyx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiyas.

I have answered this question in the following post:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5114

Steve
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: