no telnet on 2006.1 live-cd??? why???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnkurzke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: no telnet on 2006.1 live-cd??? why??? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am note sure if i am missing the point, but - i am using the 2006.1 live CD, and i cannot believe there is no telnet (client) on the disk?
No, this is not the minimal CD.

i am surprised. it has all kinds of other goodies, and NO telnet?

am i just not looking in the right places?

and if so - can i PLEASE suggest to include it in the next version of the CD!

- christian
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably know, telnet isn't a secure application/protocol. It transmits in clear text.
On the other hand ssh doesn't. If you haven't started learning to use ssh I would highly suggest it. Basically what you can do with telnet and ftp you can do with ssh. If you haven't ever used ssh before here are a couple links to get you started.

I personally haven't looked at the 2006.1 disks, but I suspect it isn't a case of you haven't found telnet yet, it is probably just not there as you suspect. And if that is the case I suspect it will never get added, particularly since there is no need for it with ssh.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/SSH

http://www.openssh.com/

DM
cnkurzke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree with you on the "issues" of telnet compared to SSH.

On the other hand, I believe the live CD is intended as a "tool" to fix/install/diagnose systems.

Telnet, because it is such a low level rudimentary tool should be a piece of this.

e.g. the problem i am having right now is i try to install a brand-new gentoo box, and my corporate firewall/proxy is a bit acting up.

if i had a telnet, i could simply do a telnet to port 8080 of the proxy, and see whats going on. (yes, i do "speak" HTTP/1.0 fluent)
same is true for e.g. a quick diagnostics of my mail server should i need it (Yes, i also speak SMTP).

so, for me, telnet is not a "remote login" tool. it is a network diagnostics.
all those things are not possible using ssh.

i STRONGLY urge to bring telnet back to the CD. possibly in a "obscure" location, so the noobs dont screw up, but the live CD should be more of a "tool" for admins than a sandbox for newbies. (why else would it have stuff like nmap on it then??)

- christian
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humm, interesting point. Never thought of using the Gentoo liveCD that way. Only for install and rescue of the local box. Maybe this is something the Dev's should discuss if they haven't already. In the mean time there is always knoppix.

DM
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: