PCMCIA problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: PCMCIA problems Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to Linux but not exactly clueless. I've been using RedHat Linux for more than a year but I'd like to try Gentoo (Portage sounds so nice).
After a couple of days I figured out how to make my PCMCIA card work during installation so that I could setup my networking. I load the modules pcmcia_core, i82365, ds, orinoco_cs, everything works and so on... I don't know if I'm configuring the kernel right, I never did it before. It is so complicated... :oops:
After installation when the system reboots, it freezes after loading the PCMCIA modules.
As I said, I'm running RedHat Linux and it used to freeze my system too until I learned to edit /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and set a memory window that only allowed one of my two sockets to be used. Mandrake 8.0 works on my computer without my having to edit /etc/pcmcia/config.opts but Mandrake 8.1 doesn't...
I'd like to know what's the explanation for this, what's done in a different way when it works and when it doesn't. Does anyone know? Do you need more info about my computer, card, Cardbus Controller etc?
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem for ages...I finally fixed is by removing the 0x800-0x8ff range from /etc/pcmcia/config.opts...it was specific to Dell Laptops I think tho, so I don't know if this helps or not. What hardware are you running?
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think it helps. My computer is an IBM desktop, Pentium III 750 MHz, 512Mb RAM, old but it's enough for what I do (I don't play games).
Mirrorball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case this is useful for someone: when I don't enable PCMCIA support in the kernel my computer doesn't freeze. It's when I enable PCMCIA support that things don't work.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrorball wrote:
Just in case this is useful for someone: when I don't enable PCMCIA support in the kernel my computer doesn't freeze. It's when I enable PCMCIA support that things don't work.

For pcmcia you have to uncheck pcmcia support in kernel. Compile it and "emerge pcmcia-cs". If you already emerged pcmcia-cs before compilation you have to reemerge it again. :!: Sounds strange but for pcmcia support you do not need pcmcia support in kernel :idea:

Without network it looks like this:
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/sys-apps/pcmcia-cs/pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.ebuild unpack

ebuild /usr/portage/sys-apps/pcmcia-cs/pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.ebuild compile install qmerge

pcmcia-cs compiles all pcmcia drivers for you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: