Unimplemented SPARC system call on boot of 2.6.17r8
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Unimplemented SPARC system call on boot of 2.6.17r8 Reply with quote

I have been running into the same problem for a few days now with both the 2.6.17-r8 gentoo-sources and the 2.4.33-3 gentoo-sources.

I get an unimplemented SPARC system call 211 on boot. Snip of the last few kernel messages when booting the 2.6.17-r8 kernel"

Code:
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
Mounted devfs on /dev
INIT: version 2.86 booting
Unimplemented SPARC system call 211
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
hub.c: new USB device 00:0c.3-2, assigned address 2
INIT: input: USB HID v0.01 Keyboard [0430:0005] on usb1:2.0

The messages from the kernel are exactly the same from teh 2.4.33-3 kernel as well.

I cannot even find a list of system calls that includes a 211. Highest I can find is 190 - vfork.

This is on a SunBlade 150 workstation. This is on a new installtion of 2006.1. I have followed the Gentoo SPARC Handbook up to step 10c. Rebooting.

Thanks,

P.S. I didn't state above, but you never get a login prompt from the system. The INIT: input: line above is the last thing I see (excepting for the respawn messages from getty about the virtual consoles)..

Thanks
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are using a serial console. Try editing /etc/inittab and uncomment the line for /dev/ttyS0 and comment out the lines starting with c0-c6 in the TERMINALS section.

Once you've done this, you can run the command /sbin/telinit q which will make init re-read /etc/inittab and give you a login prompt and make those respawn messages go away.
timmgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I understand the getty respawning calls, I have dealt with that problem many times. However I am not going in on the serial console here, real VGA and montior on this one.

The real issue is that init never really does anything here. No login prompt ever comes up, none of the services start up, nothing. I know there is more to come after the messages above, the install CD starts up fine, just not anything I have compiled on this box during the install. This is a brand new installation.
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're half-way migrated between 2.4 and 2.6, probably using a 2.6 kernel with a 2.4 profile.
IIRC that syscall is devfs which probably means you lack udev for the 2.6 kernel.
timmgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I might be lacking udev, I'll check that. But it doesn't explain why the 2.4 kernel will not boot either. It gives the same errors on boot and no login prompt either.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found a solution to this? I'm having the same problem using a 2.4 kernel with a 2.4 profile (checked before install), the manual then suggested to remove udev and install devfs, which I did and now I'm getting this...
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using 2006.1 stages for a 2.4 kernel installation you need to re-emerge linux-headers and glibc besides emerging devfsd and unmerging udev.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure to change the /etc/make.profile symlink to point to a 2.4 profile.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really like the idea of having to recompile glibc so I instead downloaded a 2.6 kernel (vanilla-sources-2.6.19-rc2 to be exact), but now I'm getting this on boot:

Code:
boot:
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Loaded kernel version 2.6.19

Remapping the kernel... done
Booting Linux...
NVRAM: Low battery voltage!
CLOCK: Clock was stopped. Kick start

And then it stops. I find it hard to believe the battery turned faulthy in the hour between my 2.4 exploit and this run, so I'm guessing I missed something essential somewhere, I've been searching all over the kernel config for clock and timing related stuff but I couldn't really find anything that seemed relevant, searching these forums turned up naught either.

If anybody has an idea, or a working 2.6 config for a Blade 100, please share. In any case I'll try to dig further into this tomorrow (hmm, by now that would be 'later today')

PS, I didn't know if I should keep it in this thread or start a new one, please split if you feel it's more appropriate to separate this out.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you are seeing shows up in kernels 2.6.18 and above. There is a patch that just came out for this but it is still being tested. Once it appears to work OK, it'll show up in gentoo-sources.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: