Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why would anyone port this shite??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
plbe
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 661

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Why would anyone port this shite?? Reply with quote

Clippy from MS Office that is....

http://vigor.sourceforge.net/screenshots/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 4791
Location: 2 exits past crazy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that site a while ago. I believe that he did it because he was bored and mostly as a joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that I read - somewhere - that somebody had come up with a kernel patch (or perhaps it was userspace I don't know. Most likely this) to add random crashes to a *nix desktop, for a more Win like feel. Now where did I did see that ? Going to bug me like heck now ..
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LD
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Posts: 336
Location: Middle of No-Where Granbury, Tx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUt Clippy is an important and advanced feature, something we NEED to port so we can compete with the awesomeness that is windows.... 8)


8) :lol: :) :? :( :cry:


...I'll be washing MY mouth out with acid tonight, I can just feel the contamination like a cancer in there now on my tounge.

I feel so dirty.
_________________
[Owner/Operator: Dhampir Dreams]
Last.fm profile
Netflix Profile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cp_tar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 94
Location: /home

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
I saw that site a while ago. I believe that he did it because he was bored and mostly as a joke.
It was done because of a UserFriendly comic, actually... IIRC, Pitr decided to put Clippy into vi.

Ah, yes... linky!

Enjoy.
_________________
Do not feed the elephant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 4791
Location: 2 exits past crazy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp_tar wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:
I saw that site a while ago. I believe that he did it because he was bored and mostly as a joke.
It was done because of a UserFriendly comic, actually... IIRC, Pitr decided to put Clippy into vi.

Ah, yes... linky!

Enjoy.

Illiad should consider this (side effect) the next time he has Pitr do something evil... :D
(which from the current storyline, looks like it might be soon)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LD wrote:
BUt Clippy is an important and advanced feature, something we NEED to port so we can compete with the awesomeness that is windows.... 8)


8) :lol: :) :? :( :cry:


...I'll be washing MY mouth out with acid tonight, I can just feel the contamination like a cancer in there now on my tounge.

I feel so dirty.


Use hydrochloric. You should feel ashamed. I would hit you wiht a newspaper if I had one!

Clippy should be added to Linux, though. "Shoot the Clip". You see Clippy, and shoot at him and hit the "exit" button, but he keeps dodging, and anytime you hit HIM, your system goes to sleep for (10^(hits)) seconds.

That would emulate the look and feel quite well. Trying to remove him is about like trying to kill off the cockroach: Forget it. Its so simple and stupid it'll outlast us all.
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 4791
Location: 2 exits past crazy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
LD wrote:
BUt Clippy is an important and advanced feature, something we NEED to port so we can compete with the awesomeness that is windows.... 8)


8) :lol: :) :? :( :cry:


...I'll be washing MY mouth out with acid tonight, I can just feel the contamination like a cancer in there now on my tounge.

I feel so dirty.


Use hydrochloric. You should feel ashamed. I would hit you wiht a newspaper if I had one!

Clippy should be added to Linux, though. "Shoot the Clip". You see Clippy, and shoot at him and hit the "exit" button, but he keeps dodging, and anytime you hit HIM, your system goes to sleep for (10^(hits)) seconds.

That would emulate the look and feel quite well. Trying to remove him is about like trying to kill off the cockroach: Forget it. Its so simple and stupid it'll outlast us all.

Sounds sort of like an old shareware game I used to play. It was called "Prarie Dog Hunt". Quite challenging with the BB-Gun, but the splatter you got with the 12 Gauge was more fun... :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
onlinepancakes
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 274
Location: Surprise - AZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6821/02oct2006183230cu8.png

lmfao! Good o'l clippy!
_________________
Onlinepancakes --
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlinepancakes wrote:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6821/02oct2006183230cu8.png

lmfao! Good o'l clippy!
OMG, they actually did it...
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
LD wrote:
BUt Clippy is an important and advanced feature, something we NEED to port so we can compete with the awesomeness that is windows.... 8)


8) :lol: :) :? :( :cry:


...I'll be washing MY mouth out with acid tonight, I can just feel the contamination like a cancer in there now on my tounge.

I feel so dirty.


Use hydrochloric. You should feel ashamed. I would hit you wiht a newspaper if I had one!

Clippy should be added to Linux, though. "Shoot the Clip". You see Clippy, and shoot at him and hit the "exit" button, but he keeps dodging, and anytime you hit HIM, your system goes to sleep for (10^(hits)) seconds.

That would emulate the look and feel quite well. Trying to remove him is about like trying to kill off the cockroach: Forget it. Its so simple and stupid it'll outlast us all.

Sounds sort of like an old shareware game I used to play. It was called "Prarie Dog Hunt". Quite challenging with the BB-Gun, but the splatter you got with the 12 Gauge was more fun... :)


I used to play that game! It owned!
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atrus123
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 339
Location: Annapolis, MD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clippy ftw.

I never really got why everyone hated him so much. Yeah, it was annoying and was always asking pointless questions, but he was sorta cute, and his heart was in the right place.

Poor guy. It's not his fault he was programmed to be stupid.
_________________
"I cannot support a movement that exploded spending and borrowing and blames its successor for the debt."
-Andrew Sullivan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doubleagent
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 444
Location: 127.0.0.1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
clippy ftw.

I never really got why everyone hated him so much. Yeah, it was annoying and was always asking pointless questions, but he was sorta cute, and his heart was in the right place.

Poor guy. It's not his fault he was programmed to be stupid.
For all the generally funny things said today...this actually did make me laugh out loud. 8O
_________________
shickapooka wrote:
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LD
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Posts: 336
Location: Middle of No-Where Granbury, Tx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not bad,, he was just coded that way.

ALL HAIL YOUR TRUE GOD CLIPPY! NON-BELIEVERS IN CLIPPY'S AWESOME POWERS SHALL BE IMPALED ON THE MEMO SPIKE! :twisted:
_________________
[Owner/Operator: Dhampir Dreams]
Last.fm profile
Netflix Profile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
floffe
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 414
Location: Linköping, Sweden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about XBill?

Edit: Fixed link, had an extra r in there.


Last edited by floffe on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atrus123
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 339
Location: Annapolis, MD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floffe wrote:
How about XBill?


404 here.
_________________
"I cannot support a movement that exploded spending and borrowing and blames its successor for the debt."
-Andrew Sullivan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[joke]One night after a night of scotch, heroin, and cheap women, I sat at my computer, opened up Word '97 and wrote a suicide note. I put the .45 in my mouth and moments before pulling the trigger, Clippy pops up and says, "Can I help you?" To make a long story short, I cried, and we made love for hours.[/joke]
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atrus123
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 339
Location: Annapolis, MD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
[joke]One night after a night of scotch, heroin, and cheap women, I sat at my computer, opened up Word '97 and wrote a suicide note. I put the .45 in my mouth and moments before pulling the trigger, Clippy pops up and says, "Can I help you?" To make a long story short, I cried, and we made love for hours.[/joke]


haha!
_________________
"I cannot support a movement that exploded spending and borrowing and blames its successor for the debt."
-Andrew Sullivan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jamiethehutt
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Oct 2004
Posts: 66
Location: Scotland!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
[joke]One night after a night of scotch, heroin, and cheap women, I sat at my computer, opened up Word '97 and wrote a suicide note. I put the .45 in my mouth and moments before pulling the trigger, Clippy pops up and says, "Can I help you?" To make a long story short, I cried, and we made love for hours.[/joke]


8O You made love for hours with Clippy??
_________________
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other forever from our living rooms. That way we won't even have to go outside." - A Scanner Darkly By PK Dick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vigor I think originally started as a joke on Userfriendly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 4791
Location: 2 exits past crazy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
Vigor I think originally started as a joke on Userfriendly

Yes, the fourth reply in this thread already pointed that out. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
playfool wrote:
Vigor I think originally started as a joke on Userfriendly

Yes, the fourth reply in this thread already pointed that out. :)


Wow.. I must be more tired that I think.. I thought I read every single reply.

Regardless that part of the strip was always amongst my favorites..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 4791
Location: 2 exits past crazy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:
playfool wrote:
Vigor I think originally started as a joke on Userfriendly

Yes, the fourth reply in this thread already pointed that out. :)


Wow.. I must be more tired that I think.. I thought I read every single reply.

Regardless that part of the strip was always amongst my favorites..

I've always enjoyed the strips that focus on Pitr. The current storyline has me intrigued...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cwest
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Location: Oslo, Norway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitr FTW =)
_________________
freelight wrote:
Any society that can be destroyed by the free flow of information probably should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwest wrote:
Pitr FTW =)


My current account used to be named Pitr actually but nobody got the reference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum