Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anachranerd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and after shooting the burglar you see, that it was your 15 year old daughter... and then?

Or not shooting the burglar out of fear for his life and your fifteen year old daughter gets raped right in front of you.
Brainfart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
and after shooting the burglar you see, that it was your 15 year old daughter... and then?

Then you've forgotten one of the first rules of using a gun: to know exactly what you're shooting at. If you shoot at a sillouette, yeah, things wont necessarily be what you expect. You can still have a person identify themselves in the dark before you pull a trigger. I've freaked my dad out a couple times 'cause I used to be up really late, and every now and then he'd hear me going into the kitchen for a 2 am snack. All it takes is to call out to the person, whether to warn them or somehow invoke an IFF response of some sort.

Now, if you see a someone creeping through your house and you have a frying pan, do you sneak up and bash their head in instead? That won't be too much better for your 15 yr old daughter. So you call out to her. Turns out it's not her but instead an armed burglar, and you're screwed.

Oh, and as for police response, check this out. A couple months ago, some kid was driving way too fast through the neighborhood (probably doing about 60mph, judging from the skid), lost control of his car, and hit the sidewalk (totally messed up his frontend doing it). So one of the neighbors called the police down to take care of the incident. City police came, decided that since the street was the edge of city limits, it must not be in their jurisdiction. So they passed it on to the county sheriff's deptartment, who took about 20 minutes to get someone to swing by. Needless to say, my house was on the county side of the line, where the issue to arise. And we'd seen similar response for students climbing on the school next door. I'll acknowledge that it's not exactly top priority, but you still gotta wonder... (at least the fire department gets there pretty quick, but they're only about 5 blocks away).
anachranerd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then you've forgotten one of the first rules of using a gun: to know exactly what you're shooting at. If you shoot at a sillouette, yeah, things wont necessarily be what you expect. You can still have a person identify themselves in the dark before you pull a trigger. I've freaked my dad out a couple times 'cause I used to be up really late, and every now and then he'd hear me going into the kitchen for a 2 am snack. All it takes is to call out to the person, whether to warn them or somehow invoke an IFF response of some sort.

Exactly. Owning a gun carries with it the responsibility of knowing how to use it(and I dont mean just going to the range and learning to hit the bullseye). It means knowing WHEN to use it. My trainin dictated NEVER blindly firing at a shadow. Gun ownership, IMHO, at least for handguns(something clearly designed for shooting people, not hunting) should have a training requirement. A gun in the hands of someone who has no instruction on armed combat more than likely makes that person less safe, not more. If you are not SURE what you are firing at, dont fire!
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all keep a few canisters of tear gas and a gas mask under the bed lol, problem solved :P
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Brainfart

as I said, something is inherently broken with your country. Get rid of the politicians and elect some, that are able to set up an effective police force.

I also stayed up late in the night as a teen. And I met my dad several times in the kitchen. Turning on the lights really helps.

No guns needed.

There were several cases of burglary in the neighbourhood. The people slept, and the burglars stole expensive stuff - and they were really good. Never woke anybody up.

If the burglar is a good one, you won't know until you miss something or you see the damage to the lock.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
anachranerd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We should all keep a few canisters of tear gas and a gas mask under the bed lol, problem solved

Indeed, id much rather give someone a face full of pepper spray than shoot them anyday. That stuff HURTS!!!
Brainfart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anachranerd wrote:
Quote:
We should all keep a few canisters of tear gas and a gas mask under the bed lol, problem solved

Indeed, id much rather give someone a face full of pepper spray than shoot them anyday. That stuff HURTS!!!

And being shot is like a needle prick? :o
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainfart wrote:
anachranerd wrote:
Quote:

Being shot can kill you though, something like tear gas won't but will still take the person down...
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

School Shooting #23 was 20 minutes up the road from where I was, and they locked down the school I was in. I was administering the network there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_High_School_(Cazenovia%2C_Wisconsin)

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
Brainfart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
Brainfart wrote:
anachranerd wrote:
Quote:

Being shot can kill you though, something like tear gas won't but will still take the person down...

Point, but what can I say. I'm not gonna be in an ideal society. I figure, if you wanna risk taking my shit, good luck. And if that doesn't deter people, well, they get what they deserve. And more likely'n not, they've been warned one way or another. (I'm not in a very nice mood atm :P)
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainfart wrote:
Zepp wrote:
Brainfart wrote:
anachranerd wrote:
Quote:

Point, but what can I say. I'm not gonna be in an ideal society. I figure, if you wanna risk taking my shit, good luck. And if that doesn't deter people, well, they get what they deserve. And more likely'n not, they've been warned one way or another. (I'm not in a very nice mood atm :P)

So having guns isn't about protecting yourself and loved ones it is about vengeance?
Brainfart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
Brainfart wrote:

So having guns isn't about protecting yourself and loved ones it is about vengeance?

I guess I forgot to mention loved ones along with belongings. Then the case stands even more. It's not like I'd hunt someone down for taking stuff... I'm just keeping them from taking it in the first place. Protection, yes. Vengeance, not really.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xglad wrote:
It is scary. Sort of makes you think twice about breaking into a house, mugging someone, or car jacking someone doesn't it?
no it doesn't, it just makes me want to carry a gun also if i am going to do it

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xglad wrote:
Oh boo hoo. The argument goes both ways. Maybe we value human life enough that we allow lawful citizens to protect their own lives lawfully against those that do not value it at all.
I think that statement has been proved false by the statistics. We have a population of 60 million and we had 60 gun related deaths, you have a population of 300 million and you had 30,136. If you are correct that guns save lives and are good for society then your record should be better than our's, that is less than 300 deaths

hmmm 300 deaths to over 13,000...

I rest my case 8)

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: WTF!!! 24th School Shooting This Year? Reply with quote

sirdilznik wrote:
If that isn't an advert for gun control i dont know what is!
Gun control only stops(slows-down) people purchsing guns through "legitimate" means. It does nothing to curb the black market trade.[/quote]well that was proved wrong here in the UK, we are virtually gun-less but maybe our police do a better job

Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go look at Canada please they have plenty of guns and it isn't as bad there as in the states gunless societies mean absolutely nothing if the populace is fearful and feel as though things are just collapsing around them. If you didn't have guns you would have various other violent crimes its not exactly that difficult to kill someone without a gun. Let's also not pretend that every death involving a gun is an act of mass murder which is what guns excel at volume killings.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard there were 3 recent school shootings, and I thought to myself, what was the 3rd. Apparently the 1st 21 weren't done with enough pizazz to deserve much media attention.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
skyfolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with guns, non-outlaws become outlaws with quick sanity.
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's one for you.

Violent crime has been sharply increasing in the UK recently, and according to this the UK is at number two on the list of industrialised nations' violent crime rate(Behind Australia). The US isn't even in the top 10.

You'd think that with stats like that, Britain should also have a much higher homicide rate than the US. You'd be very wrong.

According to the graph here the US comes in at number 24, while England and Wales are at 46 and Australia(violent crime central) is at 43.
Quote:
Murder rates in Japan and Iceland are among the lowest in the world, around 0.5; the rate of the United States is among the highest among all developed countries, around 5.5 (2004, [1]), with rates in major cities sometimes over 50 per 100,000[2].

Surely the statistics contradict themselves. If people in the US are on average much less violent per capita, then how come there are many more murders per capita. Could it be anything to do with gun culture?

Last edited by pitcrawler on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Tekel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just that here is America we are efficient
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekel wrote:
Its just that here is America we are efficient