MySQL upgrading (init.d scripts failure) [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: MySQL upgrading (init.d scripts failure) [solved] Reply with quote

I started upgrading MySQL following the guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mysql-upgrading.xml

I was upgrading from 4.0.24 so I emerged mysql-4.0.27.

However, dev-perl/DBD-mysql was pulled in and it attempted to pull in myqsl-5.0.26 so I had to use
emerge --nodeps "<mysql-4.1"

It merged okay, but it removed the init scripts, which I found and...

emerge mysql-init-scripts

Went Okay.

However....

/etc/init.d/mysql restart

Killed the old server, failed to start a new one.

I did a etc-update and replaced my.cnf and edited it to listen on eth0 address again.

Still now when I run /etc/init.d/mysql start|stop|anything I get no output. None. No server starts, no log entries, nothing.

I marked this post urgent, as a lot of my network relys heavily on MySQL and it's borked, hundreds of warnings and no email, Cacti, Amarok playlists, websites etc.

I'm going to see if I can manually start the server for now. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

**EDIT: Panic over, I got the server to run manually as root. I realise I will need to fix perms on the datadir when I'm finished, but the database server is functional for now. Still can't figure out the init script problem. Should I upgrade Python and fix it's modules???

Last edited by venquessa2 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted.

All the init.d scripts where failing. mysql, postfix, apache2 and so on. All just returned to the prompt with no output.

After some hair pulling and reading through some of the init.d stuff I found that all these init.d scripts had been linked into /var/lib/init.d/failed/

Removing these links and the init scripts started working again.

Also I continued upgrading to MySQL-5 and imported my backups and it appears to be working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: