Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Error Collection [Part 6]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcreech110
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help please. I did a clean install then rebooted. Grub tries to boot and I get a message about "unable to mount root fs" I went back on the cd and mounted the partitions, then did a manual install of grub, and it still happens... tells me to insert boot floppy. Impossible since I don't have a floppy drive. Does anyone know what I've done wrong?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcreech110,

Whats the rest of your error message ?
Quote:
"unable to mount root fs"
Does it mention kernel panic and/or unknown-block (x,y) ?
If so, what are x and y ?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: grub-install: /dev/root: Not found or not a block device Reply with quote

i had an x86 Gentoo running fine, but out of disk space. This is a multi-boot system using System Commander 8. Grub is installed in the root partition (/dev/sda6) on an all SATA system.

I used System Commander to move disk space around. All the partitions stayed the same order and same type, but I shifted space from the Windows partiton (sda2 I believe) to the Gentoo ReiserFS partition. SC8 has support for ReiserFS. It did warn me during the process that Linux would not be bootable after this, but I didn't sweat it because I had a LiveCD.

Sure enough, when I was all done, Gentoo wouldn't boot. Just displayed "GRUB" and nothing. After searching these forums, I booted the 2006.0 LiveCD and

mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo
mount -t proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev/ /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys

chrooted /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile.

When I try to run "grub-install /dev/sda6", it says "/dev/root: Not found or not a block device." Yes, I typed that right, /dev/root, lowercase root. Couldn't find anything like this reported on the forums. Any ideas how to get this working again? All my files appear to be intact. Thanks.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[mod]Merged the above post here[/mod]

Hi guyr.

Have you updated /etc/fstab. Do you have a /dev/ROOT or /dev/root entry? Have you tried using grub instead? Do you have another boot loader that you want to use? If not, you need to install GRUB into /dev/sda.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto, thanks for your reply. I'm using the System Commander bootloader, so I have grub installed in /dev/sda6. This has all been working fine for about 8 months. No, I do not have a /dev/root or a /dev/ROOT, but I do have a /dev/sda6. No, I haven't edited fstab, and I don't have any reference to /dev/root in there.

I booted up a different box (laptop) running Gentoo AMD64. This box has many OSes, and the one that has grub on it is 32-bit Mandrake. I booted that and I do see a /dev/root node, which is a "b" node (block device). So I guess I need one. How do I put one back?

(edit) Ok, I rebooted the laptop back into Gentoo. Looking now in the 32-bit Mandrake /dev directory, the b node for /dev/root is no longer there. So I guess it must be created dynamically? I guess it I just need to create it long enough for grub-install to work. But what should I symlink it to? I suppose it has to eventually resolve to a b node, potentially through a series of symlinks.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's where I am now. I chrooted and emerged grub again. No errors. Brought up the grub command prompt and set root to (hd0, 5) and setup (hd0,5). No errors. When I reboot, grub gets control and says "grub loading stage 1.5" and then just reboots.

This boot/root partition is sda6, i.e., number 6 on the first SATA drive. It was 17 GB on an 80 GB drive, and I've now increased that to 27 GB. Is it possible that the boot sector is now on a partition that is not totally within the 1024 cylinder limit? Do I even have that limit? This is a Dell Dimension 9100 with a Pentium 4 630, only about 8 months old. A google search on "grub loading stage" didn't produce any posts about spontaneous rebooting.

(Update) Found a post on these forums that claimed Stage1.5 is optional, and if boot is tripping on this stage, to just remove it. I tried that, and I'm still getting the same result: "grub loading stage 1.5" followed by a spontaneous reboot.

Also, due to lack of sleep, I wasn't thinking clearly about the cylinder being past the 1024 mark. That can't possibly be it. The top end of this partition is where it always was. After claiming space from the NTFS partition, I moved this partition down, then expanded the top end back to where it was originally, when the system was booting fine. So in effect, I expanded my Linux partition down to fill the 10 GB I freed up from Windows. So it can't possibly be that the top end of the partition is at too high a cylinder. Could be that the entire partition is now too large (27 GB), though I've never seen a limit mentioned.

[SOLVED] Well, worked around at any rate. I gave up trying to get it to work with everything in one partition, so I fired up System Commander again and shrunk my root partition (which held everything but swap) by 100 MB. I then moved this root partition up, leaving a 100 MB hole beneath it, which I made /boot using ext2. That boot partition was now sda6, root became sda7 and swap sda8. Got back into LiveCD, emeged grub, copied my kernels over from my orginal boot diretory (renamed boot-bak), adjust grub.conf and fstab to reflect the change in partition numbering, edited grub.conf to remove /boot from each of the kernels listed, since they are now not in a directory but in a separate boot partition (phew!), crossed my fingers and rebooted. Now typing this in my rebooted system, everything where I left it.

Moral of the story: you're going to experience less grief if you have a dedicated /boot partition. I normally do, but I didn't intend on installing more than this one instance of Linux on this box, so I didn't bother.

Last edited by guyr on Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:40 am; edited 2 times in total
snakeo2
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: error 17 cant mount selected partition Reply with quote

i just completed installing gentoo and im getting error 17. here is some info on my box, i have two HDD, one IDE and one SATA. on the IDE drive i have windows XP (hda), on the sata drive i have gentoo (sda).I dont know where i went wrong, but right now im using links to get online. i chroot into my systems and tried emerging links but i got an error. can someone tell me how to emerge links once i chroot so that im able to work within my system. also, i know there is a program that allows you to copy and paste from the console, can someone tell me the name of it. here is my partition layout
/sda
/sda1 /boot
sda2 /swap
/sda3 /root
/sda4 /extended
/sda5 /home

grub.conf
default o
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)_/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=gentoo server
root_(hd0,0)
kernel_/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.16-gentoo-r13

initrd_/boot/initramfs-kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.16-gentoo-r13

title=windows xp
root_(hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader_+1

please note that "_" is for spaces between words
250GB SATA Drive
4GB Corsair DDR2
bdm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

And is that an 'o' instead of a zero in your default lines in grub.conf?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: error 17 cant mount selected partition Reply with quote

[mod]Merged above two posts here.[/mod]

Hi snakeo2.

There seems to be a few issues with your grub.conf file.
snakeo2 wrote:

Code:
default o
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)_/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=gentoo server
root_(hd0,0)
kernel_/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.16-gentoo-r13

initrd_/boot/initramfs-kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.16-gentoo-r13

You need to have default 0. You have an extra space on the splashimage line. You should have splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz. You don't need the extra line between the kernel and the initrd, but that won't cause problems. You need however to complete the initrd line. You should have initrd /boot/initramfs-kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.16-gentoo-r13 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/sda3.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Problem installing new kernel Reply with quote

Alright here is what I've done:

I've gone through, compiled kernel *-r13, and moved it to /boot.

I made a new entry into grub-config

I rebooted

I selected the new kernel

I got an error 15.

This has happened before (with r11), and I'm fairly sure its a problem with my grub-config.

I followed the guide to upgrading, might have missed something, but on making the entry I did it like I had previously, so, wtf?

Anyone got any idea on what could be wrong, or is there more info needed?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu,

Moved to the grub sticky, since its a grub issue.

Error 15 means that the filenames in /boot and in grub.conf are not identical.
If your old kernel still boots, look at the new kernel filename and (if you have an initrd) the new initrd file name.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Dralnu,

Moved to the grub sticky, since its a grub issue.

Error 15 means that the filenames in /boot and in grub.conf are not identical.
If your old kernel still boots, look at the new kernel filename and (if you have an initrd) the new initrd file name.

Thanks for reminding me.

/me bangs head on wall

I move the bzImage to /boot, and when I rebooted, I got the Error 15. Well, I went in and edited the line to try and get it to work. Problem was (I had *just* moved the file, and knew this for a fact), when I put /boot/k <TAB>, it couldn't find the file. I tried 3 times and it just COULD NOT find the file (I know I cped it under kernel-2.6.x-r13), which is what has me bothered.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu,

are you sure that you had /boot mounted? Look at your /etc/fstab file. If you have the noauto option for /boot, it most likely wasn't mounted.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Dralnu,

are you sure that you had /boot mounted? Look at your /etc/fstab file. If you have the noauto option for /boot, it most likely wasn't mounted.

/boot has the noauto flag. d'oh!

I'll try this again :-P
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, BIG NOTE:

MAKE SURE YOU'RE BOOT PARTITION IS MOUNTED BEFORE TRYING TO UPDATE THE KERNEL

sry, wanted to make sure that got read :). Maybe it will help prevent some problems in the future.
theJUAN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: error 15: File not found Reply with quote

Dear All,

Badly need help here...I installed gentoo (2.6.12 r6) in a P3 machine and everything was fine except for the part Grub install...had problems installing it using grub-install so I manually installed it using the grub command line...installed it and rebooted, everything ok, I think, except for the kernel not found in /boot...I rebooted using the gentoo live cd...checked /boot and the kernel file's there...reboot, used grub command line and set the root to hd0,0...ran kernel command but it can't find the kernel...I'm at a loss here...

here's the system's setup:
/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/hda2 swap
/dev/hda3 /

this was added to grub.conf
kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3

here's hoping for a quick reply....
nitbix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the right syntax for your grub entry would be

root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3
Penguin of Wonder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: error 15: File not found Reply with quote

theJUAN wrote:
here's hoping for a quick reply....

6:38 - 5:19 = 1hour 19mins. Looks like you got your wish.

AMD64 3700+
2G DDR 3200 Ram
320G HDD
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[mod]Merged above 3 posts here.[/mod]

theJUAN,
you need to make sure that the kernel name in grub.conf is exactly like the kernel name in /boot. You should have something like:
Code:
title  Gentoo-2.6.12-r6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3

Help answer || emwrap.sh
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
[mod]Merged above 3 posts here.[/mod]

theJUAN,
you need to make sure that the kernel name in grub.conf is exactly like the kernel name in /boot. You should have something like:
Code:
title  Gentoo-2.6.12-r6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3

Also, if it doesn't boot, if your /boot partition doesn't automount, you'll have to boot into the old kernel. If it DOES automount, you can edit the line from grub itself to get it to boot.
justinj100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: So upset it did not work :-( please help! Reply with quote

I have spent hours on my first installation of Gentoo and was so looking forward to that first reboot. That was about 20 minutes ago after getting home this evening and going to bed at 3am this morning! However, it stopped before it started :-(

I am using an AMD64 3800+ 512 meg ram and 2X 300gig SATA drive in Raid 0. I beleived I had carefully checked through all he configuration and have reaserached and found the faults on this forum and others to nsure the process was carried out in the right way and the responses back from my system were as they should be.

When I boot up, I get the nice boot screen which shows my nice newley compiled Kernel however, when I select it, I see the following

root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
Kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.16-jj root=/dev/hda3

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

when I press any key, I get back to my first screen.

I woudl like to get back to the config files etc but it seems the comands I have available are limited.

If anyone has seen this before and can give me the easy fix, I would be so greatful.

I lookofrward to hearing from you all!

Justin
rwescoat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out the /boot part of the kernel line. "/boot" is only known as "/boot" when it is mounted under "/". Otherwise, it's just another partition. So, basically, change:

/boot/kernel-2.6.16-jj -> kernel-2.6.16-jj

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

rwescoat
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and btw, you simply need to boot the livecd and chroot back into your install if you want to fix something.
justinj100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for such a fast response. I changed the line as you suggested to the following ' kernel kernel-2.6.16-jj root=/dev/hda3'

What I am seeing now is this:

Error 1: Filename must be either an absolute pathname or blocklist

press any key to continue....

One problem I have just noticed myself is the 'hda3' part. as I am using SATA it should be 'sda3'. Whilst I have chaned this too and get the same error, it is obvious in the config I have done, somewhere I have entered 'hda' instead of 'sda'.

One of the problems I have is I am very inexperianced in command line Linux and therefore, with the limited commands I have pre kernel, I am struggling!

Thanks in advance for your help on this, I really felt I was going to have to start again! (although I guess I still might :-(
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea um couldn't you just provide your whole grub config?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: