Is there any QA on the live cds at all?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

So I've tried installing gentoo 2006.0 and now 2006.1 and I don't understand how things can be so broken.

First of all, 2006.0 was supposed to be able to be installed without a network connection but the only way that would work is if you didn't select any of the packages at all at the end of the installation process, even the GRP packages. Ok, so what's the point of having the GRP packages on the CD if you can't install them without emerge trying to connect to the internet? A barebones installation with not even a GUI, apache or mysql, perfect.

Alright, so 2006.1 gives you the option of installing with or without a network, great. I have a network connection now so I didn't have to worry about what I could and couldn't install... so I thought. I select KDE and some other packages: installation failed. I select just KDE: installation fails. I select everything that I want except for KDE: installation works... kind of. While it's installing I see a "invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/root/catalyst/overlays/portage'" error, but thankfully it doesn't screw up the installation.

So now I have a semi-working Gentoo installation minus a graphical interface. I try "emerge kdebase" but that fails because it can't find pmount and I find that I now have 2 "invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY" error messages every time I run emerge. I try "emerge pmount" but that fails because it can't find it. Ok, so now I try "emerge --sync" and then run "emerge pmount" and that finally works. And kdebase installs after that as well.

Of course, now I find out that kdm isn't in the kdebase package so I try "emerge kdm": installation fails. There are some packages blocking the installation of kdm. I've just installed "kdebase" after a sync and I can't install kdm? bwah? So now I try to find a way to force emerge to install kdm anyway, I mean how could the newest version of kdm not be compatible with the newest kdebase? Then I find out that you can't force emerge to install a package.

There is something seriously and tragically wrong with this. There isn't a single other major distribution that makes users go through this much just to get a GUI on boot. And on top of that, none of the configuration information from the working livecd GUI is copied to the new installation.

Even the most basic and perfunctory test would have shown that KDE doesn't install off the livecd and I'm astounded that the Gentoo team actually released 2 livecd images (2006.0 and 2006.1) with so many major bugs.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

scottb wrote:
Of course, now I find out that kdm isn't in the kdebase package so I try "emerge kdm": installation fails. There are some packages blocking the installation of kdm. I've just installed "kdebase" after a sync and I can't install kdm?

Kdm actually is part of kdebase, that's why the monolithic kdebase blocks the split ebuild kdm. You shouldn't mix monolithic with split ebuilds.

But I agree with you that the Gentoo install CDs have some problems. In my opinion the graphical installer is a monster that shouldn't have been let loose - at least not yet. Happily you can still do the manual install — with for example Knoppix or the Kubuntu LiveCD.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

scottb wrote:
Is there any QA on the live cds at all?

Yes, it is done by end-users like you. :)
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the install cd boots these days :wink:
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's wrong with using <yer-favourite-linux-distribution-live-or-nay> to install gentoo using a chroot? c'mon, that's easy enough :D i suppose that's why everyone keeps saying gentoo isn't intended for noobs -- even though noobs can successfully install the main system if they simply read the manual and follow it verbatim. that's a pretty good sign for the manual authors, really :)

but, yeah, the graphical installer really seems to be a bitch. glad i never had to use it, apparently it can fuck up systems pretty bad *nods*

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Not a support question, but a rant.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
blu3bird
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a Knoppix-CD.

Past 2004.* Gentoo-CDs just suck. They are even unable to detect a 7 year old nic which worked fine on a 1.4 CD.
(The module is still on it but it isn't loaded automatically.)
csab
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
At least the install cd boots these days :wink:

Not for me. :) I think it is totally f*cked up.

I tried out Knoppix yesterday. It rulez.
Shinjisan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
what's wrong with using <yer-favourite-linux-distribution-live-or-nay> to install gentoo using a chroot? c'mon, that's easy enough[...]

yeah, well, I recently tried an Ubuntu (Server) Live-CD (because I needed the VIA SATA driver) and the version of tar on that didn't even have bzip2 support. So I had to load that from my other gentoo box to extract the stage :)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

scottb wrote:
is there a reason why you are using a beta installation medium? It is there to try and use it if you want but if it doesn't work how you want then the idea is you make a bug report and not bitch about it.

Next time either use the reccommended install or when the other doesn't work try and help.

FYI i had some of the same offline problems with 2006.0 but after looking round the installer i found the answer.

Also, use gnome, much less problems
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
scottb wrote:
is there a reason why you are using a beta installation medium?

Maybe because NOWHERE on the site or in the handbook it actually says that the 2006.1 LiveCD is beta... — unless I overlooked something, but anyway that only proves it's not clearly stated. You get the impression that the LiveCD is the recommended way of installing Gentoo...
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
scottb wrote:
Maybe because NOWHERE on the site or in the handbook it actually says that the 2006.1 LiveCD is beta... — unless I overlooked something, but anyway that only proves it's not clearly stated. You get the impression that the LiveCD is the recommended way of installing Gentoo...
There is a FAQ: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/faq.xml And the handbook says nothing because it is for the reccomended (manual) install.
scottb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
yngwin wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
scottb wrote:
There is a FAQ: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/faq.xml And the handbook says nothing because it is for the reccomended (manual) install.

The FAQ that says this?

"Is the installer done? No, it will be done when it's done. We're only getting started! There are a lot more architectures to support and a lot of features we plan on adding. "

This implies beta? Or this?

"I like the manual install. Why are you forcing me to use a graphical installer? The current install method will always be an option. The installer will be distributed on a true LiveCD that contains xorg, Gnome, firefox, and other goodies. There will still be a minimal CD that has just enough stuff to boot and install by hand. You can still also do a manual install from the X LiveCD."

cokehabit wrote:

Thanks for the advice cause, you know, I was just about to make a critical, life altering mistake. :) I didn't use to like KDE cause I didn't like Troltech controlling the qt libraries. I kept expecting the interface to get better in gnome but I don't think the interface has actually changed much in the last 8 years. KDE is light years ahead of gnome: better applications, better integration, and better interface altogether.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

scottb wrote:

cokehabit wrote:

Thanks for the advice cause, you know, I was just about to make a critical, life altering mistake. :) I didn't use to like KDE cause I didn't like Troltech controlling the qt libraries. I kept expecting the interface to get better in gnome but I don't think the interface has actually changed much in the last 8 years. KDE is light years ahead of gnome: better applications, better integration, and better interface altogether.

++

About the liveCD, well yeah it has its share of problems. The x86 CD fails to load X on my machine. And I have fairly generic hardware. *shrug* It gives me a root shell however, and tools like pppd and chat which thankfully they haven't struck off the CDs because of the belief that "everyone has broadband." That is decent enough for me, so I can't be arsed to troubleshoot the X issue.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

scottb wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
yngwin wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
scottb wrote:
The FAQ that says this?

"Is the installer done? No, it will be done when it's done. We're only getting started! There are a lot more architectures to support and a lot of features we plan on adding. "

This implies beta?
"Is the installer done? No" Implies that it is beta, yes. Anything that is not done/finished is Alpha/Beta/RC and should not be used by anyone expecting it to be 100% working
Or this?

scottb wrote:
"I like the manual install. Why are you forcing me to use a graphical installer? The current install method will always be an option. The installer will be distributed on a true LiveCD that contains xorg, Gnome, firefox, and other goodies. There will still be a minimal CD that has just enough stuff to boot and install by hand. You can still also do a manual install from the X LiveCD."
That is a response to all the people that *still* seem to think that the current install will go away when the installer is fully operational

cokehabit wrote:
Thanks for the advice cause, you know, I was just about to make a critical, life altering mistake. :) I didn't use to like KDE cause I didn't like Troltech controlling the qt libraries. I kept expecting the interface to get better in gnome but I don't think the interface has actually changed much in the last 8 years. KDE is light years ahead of gnome: better applications, better integration, and better interface altogether.[/quote]dude, better apps? Not a chance. Gtk has 10x the amount of apps than qt. Better integration to where? Better interface is a question of choice: if i wanted bright colours and big bars i would go back to windows. I agree that not much has changed in gnome in the last few years but things are really starting to change at the moment
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any QA on the live cds at all? Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
That is a response to all the people that *still* seem to think that the current install will go away when the installer is fully operational

Thank the gods for that! It saves us from going through the pain of the otherwise inevitable fork. (Forktoo anyone?)

cokehabit wrote:
Quote:
KDE is light years ahead of gnome: better applications, better integration, and better interface altogether.
dude, better apps? Not a chance. Gtk has 10x the amount of apps than qt.

More is not necessarily better. There may be 5 (or more) gtk/gnome alternatives, but nothing beats K3b at the moment, for example.

cokehabit wrote:
Better integration to where?

Kio-slaves are just brilliant. I am not aware of an equivalent in Gnome.

cokehabit wrote:
Better interface is a question of choice: if i wanted bright colours and big bars i would go back to windows.

You seem to imply that KDE means bright colours and big bars. Not so. KDE offers far-reaching customizability, so you have a better chance of making it look good according to your taste.

Oh, and another thing: gconf — if I wanted a registry, I would go back to Windows...
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't turn this into another KDE vs. Gnome flamefeast! 8O And using Gnome shouldn't be the solution for KDE not emerging, btw. :lol:

I do understand that people are frustrated when they try to use the new installer and it fails miserably. Just please keep in mind that this is work in progress and that it doesn't fail for everyone. It'll get better, just give it time, test it as much as possible and don't forget to file the bugs you find. :wink:

Having said that, I think it would be a good idea to give new users a warning that the GLI is still beta, just before the install. I'll try to find out if there is a reason for not having it or what releng would think of such a warning.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
dude, better apps? Not a chance. Gtk has 10x the amount of apps than qt.

While I use GTK apps (Dillo, XMMS, gkrellm, GAIM at times) ((and also prefer GTK Widgets while programming), they usually have more than capable KDE replacements. While the same cannot be said of KDE apps. Konqueror beats the living daylights out of Epiphany, amarok pwnz pretty much everything and K3b is hands down the easiest cd burning tool ever.

cokehabit wrote:

Better integration to where? Better interface is a question of choice: if i wanted bright colours and big bars i would go back to windows.

Er...no. KDE does not have bright colours and big bars (though it does not stop you from getting them). My last KDE colour scheme was a dank CDE clone (so much for bright colours), and the panels I use are usually set to a tiny 24px height. Also, I use small icons on the toolbars without any text explaining as to what they do.

Also, Kioslaves are the very definition of integration. GNOME has _nothing_ like them. It does have a registry however.

cokehabit wrote:

I agree that not much has changed in gnome in the last few years but things are really starting to change at the moment

I think things have changed so much that GNOME feels like a completely unweildy interface. I first used GNOME back in 1999 and didn't like it much. I tried it out again last year and although things have improved on the eye-candy front, they have worsened as regards to usability.
The shittiest thing they ever did was to fuck around with the order of the buttons on the confirmation/error/info dialogs.
And bloody Nautilus _still_ opens a million windows while I'm trying to browse the filesystem.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
And bloody Nautilus _still_ opens a million windows while I'm trying to browse the filesystem.
mine doesn't.

Btw, i think gconf is brilliant. People dont like it because it reminds them of the registry. Go into it and look at all the options you can change in audacious. It is a place that most people will never go to but if you want to change the size, keep things on top etc then it is a brilliant universal place to do so
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Total bollocks

loki99 wrote:
The voice of reason

Seriously though cokehabit, for a user rep, I think you've been less than helpful there, and I think you should stop recommending the monstrosity that is Gnome as the solution to the world's problems.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
Seriously though cokehabit, for a user rep, I think you've been less than helpful there, and I think you should stop recommending the monstrosity that is Gnome as the solution to the world's problems.
Gnome is, and will always be, the best. It is my responsibility as a userrep to make sure that everyone knows how much better GNOME is than KDE
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Gnome is, and will always be, the best. It is my responsibility as a userrep to make sure that everyone knows how much better GNOME is than KDE

Say, cokehabit, did you notice people in your environment suddenly not having small trimmed beards any more and acting normal instead of absolutely twisted evil? If so, you probably have slipped into a parallel universe (which we call 'reality') where GNOME is a dreary mess about as user friendly as the Soviet Union (but aesthetically not quite as appealing) and KDE is the way to go.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Say, cokehabit, did you notice people in your environment suddenly not having small trimmed beards any more and acting normal instead of absolutely twisted evil? If so, you probably have slipped into a parallel universe (which we call 'reality') where GNOME is a dreary mess about as user friendly as the Soviet Union (but aesthetically not quite as appealing) and KDE is the way to go.
you know i actually have to agree with you that gnome on gentoo is dreary. Gnome on Ubuntu is superb though, it is brilliant, they have taken a long time making every part of it perfectly integrated and it works better than any desktop i have seen. I have had more random crashes with KDE than anything
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: