View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: wine - positive Tested Games/Apps Reply with quote

Maybe someone else had this Idea too, and I didn't find this.
I'd like to see a thread where users (not wine-devs) post their 100% tested and running wine-games or apps.

So I start with following:

WINE-0.9.8-r1 on Gentoo Linux , Kernel 2.6.17, Xorg 7, Nvidia-drivers 1.8762

Irfanview (much better than gqview or kview)
- running perfectly
- printing works

Photoshop 6
- very slow

eGames Mahjong Egypt
- running perfectly

Firefox Windows Version
- running a little slower than emerged Linux-Version

Made Sticky by NeddySeagoon 9 sep 2006
and unstuck 10 Sep, since all the posts were off topipc

Email: blice@gmx.de

Last edited by blice on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blice,

Thats a very old WINE

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
blice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

* app-emulation/wine
     Available versions:  0.9 0.9.1 0.9.2 0.9.3 0.9.4 0.9.5-r1 0.9.6 0.9.7 0.9.8-r1 ~0.9.9 ~0.9.10 ~0.9.11 ~0.9.12 ~0.9.13 ~0.9.14 ~0.9.15 ~0.9.16 ~0.9.17 ~0.9.18 *9999 *20041019-r3 *20050111-r2 *20050211 *20050310-r1 *20050419 *20050524 *20050628 *20050725-r1 *20050830 *20050930
     Installed:           0.9.8-r1
     Homepage:            http://www.winehq.com/
     Description:         free implementation of Windows(tm) on Unix

Its the last stable in my Tree.. even though it doesnt really matter how old my wine is .. id just like to see what runs free in an emulated environment without paying for cedega or crossover
Saint1911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
blice,

Thats a very old WINE

Isn't old wine the best?
....sorry couldn't help the pun :)
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
blice,

Thats a very old WINE

I thought that older wine was the best... :D EDIT: DOH! Too slow.

I've used dvvddecryptor and dvdshrink successfully under multiple versions of wine. They ran quite a bit slower than in native win2k, but they worked correctly when properly configured. I've got dvdfabdecrypter and dvdsrink installed now for creating backups. I haven't tested dvdfabdecrypter yet but, since dvddecryptor is no longer maintained, it is the only program I've found (native or win32) that can handle the newer protection schemes.

I'll update my post after I test it today.

EDIT: DVDFabDecrypter installs and runs (if you have mfc42.dll), but it fails while trying to read the dvd information.

Last edited by yabbadabbadont on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, why duplicate effort? [url]appdb.winehq.org[/url].
blice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleOwen wrote:

Because a winehq does not test all the stuff , that "normal" users would do. I think the list at winehq ist really small (ie Mahjong Egypt , Irfanview are not listet - and thats just me - one of thousands gentoo users)

Edit: Frankscorner 's list is not much bigger
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So? Post your results there instead of here, where no one will find them.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleOwen wrote:

If you don't want to post here, then don't. As for no one finding these posts, you did... ;)

If others wish to post here, then that is their prerogative. As a gentoo user, I tend to search these forums before anywhere else as I am liable to find people with similar system configurations (namely they are running gentoo) that have already encountered the same issue.
killertux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Madness Reply with quote

This is madness you can't use forum for posting test results as it's going to be super hard to find anyting if people start just posting "test resuls" here.
Also since interfaces are missing test result will be form "Working", "Not Working" or "N" and "Y". We have system for non developers to contribute test results to Wine and it's called Wine AppDB. Also people have problems finding stuff from appdb but here it will be even more harder and things only get harder since all usefull test result HOWTOS etc. are going to be in 1000+n different locations.

Few other good points are:

Wine 0.9.8 is considered as OLD it's not going to help Wine development or users to run that old Wine. Absolute minimum is latest release(0.9.20 currectly) or fresh Wine trought GIT or CVS. Wine 0.9.8 is too old for making bug reports to Wine bugzilla.

System where you run Wine realy do not mather if it's up2date and it it has working drivers and if running games it has nVidia or ATI card(high end cards are the best for Wine gaming). Wine AppDB has Distribution field that indicates what distribution was used if that is realy some kind of issue.

What mathers is how skillfully user dodges Wine and system/driver bugs and more unwanted Wine features.

Irfanview, Photoshop 6 and Firefox Windows Version are not games. Why are those listed in games section?

I am one of Wine AppDB admins if you like to ask someting about related to AppDB, Wine or running games in Wine please ASK.
killertux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about title "WINE - positive Tested Games/Apps" hmm it's Wine NOT WINE and what that "positive" means only apps that "work" just how well??? I think apps failing should be also reported.

This topic was made by anti Wine trolls who only like native Linux gaming or by Microsoft or Transgaming.

We need topics that help Wine and not create useless waiste of resources.

I think what you like is basicly list off apps working in Wine with Gentoo... why not help to improve appdb since you are free to contribute if you know php. Since test results are there only thing needed is good tools for listing application based on Distros, Rating, Category etc.
blice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killertux wrote:
What about title "WINE - positive Tested Games/Apps" hmm it's Wine NOT WINE and what that "positive" means only apps that "work" just how well??? I think apps failing should be also reported.

This topic was made by anti Wine trolls who only like native Linux gaming or by Microsoft or Transgaming.

No I Like wine ! Its Free ..

As I read the last posts right, im going to test the latest wine from winehq .
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well wine is the most curious app in portage.
It has a insane update rate. Features are getting added faster then newsletter of wine keeps up with them.
Wine is save to go unstable from my experience.

If you have a porblem and you ask on wine mailing list and you do not have latest wine you do not even get any support for your question. The reson is your Problem may be fixed in a later version. The difficulties with wine is that wine tries to add stuff that a program thinks is already there. So the development goes another way round. which makes it difficult to decide which stuff is stable and what not.

So I think unstable wine should be your first choice.

For appdb. You can enter Versions which you test for. I think they appreciate, even if no one will ever look at a wine thats 12 releases old.
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleOwen wrote:
Um, why duplicate effort? http://appdb.winehq.org/.

I agree, I don't want to be disrepectful to the OP, but this is ridiculous. I can't believe this thread has actually been stickied.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarnEvil,

The post was stickied to encorage the replies the OP was asking for, not to host a meta-debate on the vailidity of the post itself. You can be sure it will be unstuck when interest wains.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
victordavion83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be simple, nobody is saying to just jump boat off of the official wine database of working applications. I know for one I would like to see just the games that have been shown to work in gentoo (not things that don't work) and maybe a screenshot or 2 in a gentoo environment. What the guy is saying has some merrit since the people using gentoo just want to know about gentoo... not about debain, suse, or fedora. Cut the guy some slack.
killertux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What the guy is saying has some merrit since the people using gentoo just want to know about gentoo... not about debain, suse, or fedora. Cut the guy some slack.

It's just tecnical problem appdb is lacking tools to filter and list, test results and apps. Someone who can do php must add those features to appdb
but still appdb is best and offical place you can find for Wine test results since interfaces in other sites are even more worse than appdb.
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
UncleOwen wrote:

If you don't want to post here, then don't. As for no one finding these posts, you did... ;)

If others wish to post here, then that is their prerogative. As a gentoo user, I tend to search these forums before anywhere else as I am liable to find people with similar system configurations (namely they are running gentoo) that have already encountered the same issue.

The point was that the AppDB is supposed to be THE comprehensive database for Wine results, splitting up work across different forums and places just reduces the effectiveness and just flat out duplicates afford, that is the problem. It also means that the Wine team end up with idiots from this forum going to them and saying "booooo, this doesn't work and the Gentoo forum says it does!" when the AppDB is likely to be more accurate and also have solutions to the issues as well as something the Wine people can edit where as they can't "edit" peoples posts on this forum.

blice wrote:
UncleOwen wrote:

Because a winehq does not test all the stuff , that "normal" users would do.

I'm just going to flat out call bullshit on that comment. It's "normal" users that put those entries in the AppDB!!

blice wrote:
I think the list at winehq ist really small (ie Mahjong Egypt , Irfanview are not listet - and thats just me - one of thousands gentoo users)

That's just stupid. There are thousands and thousands of different applications and games in the AppDB. Right, two programs you want aren't in there, SO ADD THEM. That way people in future have a reference. I've tested around 50 different games and programs so far, I've only had to add 3 of them to the AppDB.

victordavion83 wrote:
This should be simple, nobody is saying to just jump boat off of the official wine database of working applications. I know for one I would like to see just the games that have been shown to work in gentoo (not things that don't work) and maybe a screenshot or 2 in a gentoo environment. What the guy is saying has some merrit since the people using gentoo just want to know about gentoo... not about debain, suse, or fedora. Cut the guy some slack.

That doesn't make much sense either. Nothing should be any different in Gentoo than any other distro with Wine. If something goesn't work in Gentoo's Wine ebuild then the ebuild or your installation is broken, simple as that.

Basically by making this thread people are just wasting time and duplicating effort on a thread that will inevitably die rather than further strengthening the already large AppDB.

How would the Gentoo Dev's like it if people decided to not use Bugzilla anymore and just posts all their bugs into a randomly formatted badly made forum thread? I don't think they'd be too happy. I can see Jakob exploding right now.
victordavion83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enverex wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:
UncleOwen wrote:

The point was that the AppDB is supposed to be THE comprehensive database for Wine results, splitting up work across different forums and places just reduces the effectiveness and just flat out duplicates afford, that is the problem. It also means that the Wine team end up with idiots from this forum going to them and saying "booooo, this doesn't work and the Gentoo forum says it does!" when the AppDB is likely to be more accurate and also have solutions to the issues as well as something the Wine people can edit where as they can't "edit" peoples posts on this forum.

blice wrote:
UncleOwen wrote:

Because a winehq does not test all the stuff , that "normal" users would do.

I'm just going to flat out call bullshit on that comment. It's "normal" users that put those entries in the AppDB!!

blice wrote:
I think the list at winehq ist really small (ie Mahjong Egypt , Irfanview are not listet - and thats just me - one of thousands gentoo users)

That's just stupid. There are thousands and thousands of different applications and games in the AppDB. Right, two programs you want aren't in there, SO ADD THEM. That way people in future have a reference. I've tested around 50 different games and programs so far, I've only had to add 3 of them to the AppDB.

victordavion83 wrote:

That doesn't make much sense either. Nothing should be any different in Gentoo than any other distro with Wine. If something goesn't work in Gentoo's Wine ebuild then the ebuild or your installation is broken, simple as that.

Basically by making this thread people are just wasting time and duplicating effort on a thread that will inevitably die rather than further strengthening the already large AppDB.

How would the Gentoo Dev's like it if people decided to not use Bugzilla anymore and just posts all their bugs into a randomly formatted badly made forum thread? I don't think they'd be too happy. I can see Jakob exploding right now.

You are missing the point, there are other sites that talk about gentoo (gentoo-wiki.org) and they just show you things that work and how to get them to work. This has nothing to do with completely forgetting about the BUGZILLA for reporting the PROBLEMS. Also, you make a point to note that using wine in gentoo shouldn't be any different than any other distro... if that's true then there wouldn't be posts on the app database on wine's own website seperating different distros and showing one as working and the other as not working. You also point out that an ebuild would be broken or not yet if there is a post like this guy wants to start, it would help someone narrow down that this is the exact problem with his distro. This idea does have merit and doesn't keep people from using the main wine website to report the bugs they have. This is only for things that WORK and we know work in gentoo.

Edit: Oh, just to add, there are people that don't even go to the wine website just for the very reason that there could be a problem with the ebuild. I guess that would mean they would report that on bugzilla. Again this would help stop them from doing this if they knew that X game works with X version of wine in gentoo with X ebuild.
killertux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know testing information in appdb might be confusing(works on one distro but not the other) but that is simple because "advanced"
users do not write down every small tweak they made to make app X to work and n00bs usually use broken system or broken Wine
so that realy do not tell anyting is distro Gentoo or sometin else... also different hardware means different drivers and therefore different bugs.
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victordavion83 wrote:
Enverex wrote:
Chopped because pyramids make baby devs cry

You are missing the point, there are other sites that talk about gentoo (gentoo-wiki.org) and they just show you things that work and how to get them to work. This has nothing to do with completely forgetting about the BUGZILLA for reporting the PROBLEMS. Also, you make a point to note that using wine in gentoo shouldn't be any different than any other distro... if that's true then there wouldn't be posts on the app database on wine's own website seperating different distros and showing one as working and the other as not working. You also point out that an ebuild would be broken or not yet if there is a post like this guy wants to start, it would help someone narrow down that this is the exact problem with his distro. This idea does have merit and doesn't keep people from using the main wine website to report the bugs they have. This is only for things that WORK and we know work in gentoo.

Edit: Oh, just to add, there are people that don't even go to the wine website just for the very reason that there could be a problem with the ebuild. I guess that would mean they would report that on bugzilla. Again this would help stop them from doing this if they knew that X game works with X version of wine in gentoo with X ebuild.

I see your point with "if the ebuild is broken" but if there was any Gentoo specific issue it would affect Wine as a whole, not just one game. So if there is an issue with Gentoo and Wine then it would need to be fixed but it wouldn't be Windows app specific, ergo making a list of games on here that work/don't work is still useless because of what I just said. I'm not the best person in the world at explaining things but it should make enough sense. Summary: Any programs in Wine will be distro independant and should be posted on appdb. If there is an issue because of it being Gentoo then it wouldn't be postable in the appdb or this thread anyway as Wine as a whole would be broke, heh.
killertux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made posting to wine-devel mailing list to make Wine developers know about fact that no one knows what appdb is
so if thigs go well in future Wine will advice people to use appdb. It's the package managers fault that people
can't find the appdb.
victordavion83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, something that would be even better (which I'm going to post somewhere on the winehq website) is doing something that cedega does with a database of settings for different applications in order to keep some order through wine. This would completely eliminate the need to say something is working in gentoo if there was already a database to set it up correctly to begin with. From there the problem would not be either directly related to either wine or gentoo but not both in combination. It's good to know that you all didn't take what I was trying to say as a flame. In this case I now agree with Enverex. This prob. would spawn a support forum for wine which isn't the real goal to begin with. In the sake of keeping sanity, it's something that needs to be addressed at winehq. If only there would be a database and an application to apply the settings or configure wine for the specific use. (I don't know of any at the moment for wine though I do know that cedega does this)

Anyways, my vote now stands with this thread shouldn't exist. This is something wine needs to control.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enverex wrote:
victordavion83 wrote:
Enverex wrote:
Chopped because pyramids make baby devs cry

I see your point with "if the ebuild is broken" but if there was any Gentoo specific issue it would affect Wine as a whole, not just one game. So if there is an issue with Gentoo and Wine then it would need to be fixed but it wouldn't be Windows app specific, ergo making a list of games on here that work/don't work is still useless because of what I just said. I'm not the best person in the world at explaining things but it should make enough sense. Summary: Any programs in Wine will be distro independant and should be posted on appdb. If there is an issue because of it being Gentoo then it wouldn't be postable in the appdb or this thread anyway as Wine as a whole would be broke, heh.

You are overlooking a couple of important things, USE flags and package.keywords. The ebuild may be fine. Wine may be perfect. But it is still possible, likely even, that certain combinations of USE flags and/or masked/unmasked libraries will cause it to fail. That is what separates Gentoo from other distributions. It is why many application developers refuse to even look at problems submitted by Gentoo users. On other distributions you get wine built one way. It works or it doesn't. That doesn't really apply to Gentoo. I don't think that anyone is saying that we shouldn't use the appdb at the wine website, nor should we skip filing bugs there either. This is just a thread, specifically for gentoo users, that can be used to supplement the other two resources. To provide working combinations of USE flags and library versions. To point people to the appdb to find futher details and to add their own...

To the moderators, specifically Neddy: It appears that this thread has degenerated as was feared. Perhaps it should be moved to "other things gentoo", "gentoo chat", or even "off the wall".
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victordavion83 wrote:
Anyways, my vote now stands with this thread shouldn't exist.

As long as we abide by the Gentoo forum guidlines, we can start any thread we like and post to same. I've already suggested to the mods that it be moved to a more appropriate area. If you don't like it, I respectfully suggest that you just don't read or use it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: