Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:

The from-source thing has more uses than the obvious. Gentoo's almost a distro-building kit. Set things up, then make your own trees, and maintain bits here and there when needed...

My main reason for using it, and the main reason I will be building a custom distro for Family Day Enterprises based on it. Well, either this or PCLinuxOS.
gisbert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great
CPUFreak91
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it because it's fast, I can configure and customize the heck out of it, and because it gives the user the power to do almost whatever he wants but making it simpler to do than LFS ;)
thomas.g
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do you use Gentoo Reply with quote

My name is Thomas Geraets, and I use gentoo because I would like to make new friends.
And I think that's a cool way to do that!
freedumb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo because it's the most "freebsd like" linux distro I have ever tried.
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml sums things up pretty well.
cubist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum.

I use Gentoo because its easily customisable, looks nice, simple, I love it. Its on my laptop!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-589258787877715141
fmckee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Gentoo is the Ultimate Linux Toolbox Reply with quote

Though the preference is meta-distribution. :)

I've been using Gentoo as my primary desktop and server platform since about 2001. In addition to echoing many of the comments here (such as the strong community, portage etc.), I view Gentoo as The Ultimate Linux Toolbox. Gentoo's frameworks and tools in the areas of package and service management are top notch.

In a nutshell, Gentoo provides for me what other distros (free or commercial) have been unable to do: provide a no compromise Linux experience.

As an avid reader of these forums I've always worked my way through any hiccups. Even non-Gentoo ones. :wink: I enjoy the (mostly) weekly newsletter both in frequency and content. Gentoo documentation both on and off-site are also top notch.

I just completed the gcc-4.1.1 migration on my primary system -- while I was using it! Sure, it took nearly five days to do, but that was largely machine time and there are over 1000 packages installed. As always, at the end of each maintenance cycle I'm rewarded with a rock-solid, well-performing system that does exactly what I want it to do.

Gentoo is a purely free Linux distro that does not seem as mired in politics as some others are. Since Gentoo is controlled by a non-profit foundation with no inherent commercial interests, it will only go away if the community that uses and supports it goes elsewhere. In other words, Gentoo is in no danger of being acquired or enter into any questionable cross-licensing deals (such as the one announced today). For me, that represents true software assurance.

It is for all these reasons and more, that I have and will continue recommending Gentoo to my IT colleagues.

Let me conclude by saying (my first forum post in all these years!): Thank You All!!! 8) 8) 8)
warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo because it is simply the best Linux available.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
acid7711
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simple, everything just works, and works how I'd expect it to. All others are just more advantages :) I love the community. If I have a problem 99.5% of the time someone's already had it and fixed it. 5 minutes after a search, I'm off and the problems been solved. The other .25% of the time I'll get a response that solves my problem.

I've tried damn near every other distro. I ALWAYS come back. I feel at home in Gentoo. It's the only distro where I feel at ease with my system and how things are setup and working.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really thought of this but... I just noticed it today. When I need to fix something, it's easy to figure out what's wrong. Even if you can't fix it yourself, you can always get the exact error message from a log and post it somewhere to ask for help.

I can't do that in windows or even in certain distros of Linux (but then again I never really tried because they would always force the GUI on you and after a while I forgot that the command line was where it's at :cool: ). A vague error message does not help when you're trying to debug programs, and Windows's excuse for an error message report tool doesn't show you anything of use whatsoever.
cubist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo on my laptop simply for fun. I mean, my laptop is quite old and hates windows XP so I put Gentoo on it and its as happy as a peach :o

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-589258787877715141
PhoeniXII
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it cuzz it get's me what i want, in a way that i want.
with the use flags everything is configurable.
and it's easier then the "Linux From Scratch" way that i used to do.
Junglist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:

• No need to reinstall

oops.
PRoGRaMMeRQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Custom compile-time options
-very mature packaging system (though it could use some improvement)
-Highly customizable
-nothing works unless I make it work (I like to know how things work)
-its FUN
Kakason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..

- Wanted to get away from the gaming scene so I switched from Windows to Gentoo
- Wasted heaps of time on Windows just sitting there waiting for an msn convo looking at the screen
(on Gentoo I customize my desktop and stuff so I actually learn something while waiting for convo)
- Wanted to be more serious in programming =] and windows had alot of distractions (games)

And thats about it =]
pgreenwood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do you use Gentoo Reply with quote

ChrisWhite wrote:
post your reason here. Detailed or not.

The purpose of this is to [hopefully] act upon listed items and do you people good. This is also to make me feel lovey dovey. Thank you.

sticky -- mark_alec

I started with Debian about 2000. Its been good and I still use it, but, Gentoo's documentation is spectacular! I installed my first Gentoo system earlier this year. I've used the Live-CD and the Minimal-CD.

Install the Minimal version over ssh from another computer, cutting and pasting from your browser to your ssh terminal and learn as you go.
Apewall
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few other distros but Gentoo was my first(I wanted immediate freedom), and still preferred, for a few good reasons.

* Complete Control
* Ground level installation
* Lightweight
* Best linux community support
* -PORTAGE-
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognize I'm not stating anything that someone hasn't already said, but for the record:

I use gentoo because:

-Portage rocks. It is stable, elegant and it is very up-to-date. I *hated* relying upon someone at RH or Debian to make a package for my system. I grew tired of the dependency nightmares, and being berrated for using "unstable" packages because I had the *nerve* to want to run a package released in this decade. If I compiled from source, then the rest of the system didn't acknowledge the presence of the new package... ugh! Portage is updated frequently, it has excellent dependency detection, and allows you to compile from source and in many instances even install binary packages.

-Nothing is on my system unless I deliberately put it there (or it is pulled as a dep, which is basically the same thing).

-The community is strong and considerate; Knowledgeable. A good balance of helping eachother out and RTFM.

-MS is evil.

-It is free.

-Everything is compiled from source (unless you explicitly choose not to). You get to build your system to your hardware, instead of neutering your archetecture and relying upon backward compatibilty with a decrepid 386 chip.

-It is flashy. I think it is one of the snazziest distros out there. Very "hip" developers and users in the gentoo community. It doesn't feel old and clunky like the BSD's and some other distros. Little things like fb, colors in vim, dircolors, bash being nicely configured by default save a lot of time on customization, and make scripting/coding/getting around the filesystem a joy.

-Did I mention that portage is awesome?

G
iopi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is amazing--I'm hooked.

I use it because of the incredible community support, flexibility, overall feel, and general enjoyment I get out of using it =}}.

Portage owns too >: D
SHAZcat07
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freedom of being able make your own environment, with the comfortability of knowing that I can always change it around, fix packages up, put new ones together, having the ease of grabbing new updated packages with the tap of a few keys, heh, theirs to many reasons Gentoo is so fun.
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simple: Performance.

These days people spend hundreds of dollars for a 10% increase in performance when they buy hardware. Without spending a penny I can get more than that by using Gentoo.

Considering this, people who say that 10% increase of performance is not worth it showld explain to me why does an Athlon FX cost 1000usd and an X2 costs 500usd, when their difference in performance can be even less than the 10% they state. They (the people who claim this) are stating a contradiction or just telling their opinion.
vrai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inertia - I've used it for a few years and standardised all my Linux machines on Gentoo. I'm not happy with the distro, while Gentoo was undoubtably the best a few years ago it's degraded in quality while others have adopted much of what's good about it; but I don't want to have to maintain multiple distros and I can't be bothered to reinstall five machines.

My original reasons for adoption were...
  • A good package system with dependency handling that actually works
  • A good balance between maintaining stablity (of portage and the packages) and the necessary drive to improve and update.
  • Excellent documentation

Prior to Gentoo I used SuSE, which I was happy to pay for. But the packing system was terrible, it was easier to install tarballs by hand. Faced with that I found portage to be a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately the constant tinkering with the package tree has made portage something to be feared rather than feted. Some of my machines haven't been updated in months, because I know that when I do they'll break. In the past I've spend days (or even weeks) figuring out what the problem is and bodging them back together. But an increase in the number of machine and an increasing exasperation with how the distro is being maintained means that the next time I lose a machine it'll be coming back up sans Gentoo. Which is sad because Gentoo should be as awesome as it always was. All the rubbish about "performance" aside (unless you're on esoteric hardware the optimisations make little difference) the portage system and the freedom of choice it gives you is unbeatable, the support scripts are fantastic and the documentation is best available.

But until the days return where I can run "sudo emerge --update world" and come back to a machine that's fully functional the distro cannot be recommended to anyone with a life. An upgrade should not result in fifteen blockages, four removed ebuilds and a total loss of some vital piece of functionality.

The documentation though ... not matter what distro I use I'll always go to the Gentoo docs first.
Jesterhead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with the dynamics in the FLOSS-world you cant guarantee that a "fluid" tree can always be stable everytime in every possible configuration.

Gentoo power (and this why i use it) is the flexibility, the wide range of avaliable software, and i am to 90% responsible for the quality of the software i emerge.
(the other 10% are mostly upstream-devs ^^).

Only my opinion ;)
compres
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrai wrote:

All the rubbish about "performance" aside (unless you're on esoteric hardware the optimisations make little difference) ...

Quite a rude way of calling my point and hardware: rubbish and esoteric.

What I have is a Pentium 3 M with 512KB of cache and 256MB of SD ram on a laptop. The increase in performance I have experienced in comparison with Ubuntu, Kubuntu and SUSE are way more than the 10% some people assume, becouse of many reasons.

- The memory footprint of the aplications like VLC and Firefox I use on gentoo, are microscopic in comparison to the distros I just mentioned. So much so I have yet to exceed the 256MBs of ram and get to the swap memory after close to a month of using gentoo. The result is my systems is an order of magnitude faster since it rarely reads the hard drive.

- Battery time is up for the same reasons.

- Boot time is close to a third of the time it took me to boot kubuntu on a custom kernel.

- I can play video files with VLC that I could not on k/ubuntu or suse, I am guessing the CFLAGS are doing their job here.

Well I won't say more, I hope you can get the picture already. Performance is important for some people, and one of them is me. I don't think you are right when you call rubbish my reason for using gentoo or esoteric my hardware.

Do you even know what esoteric means?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 5 of 21

Jump to: