Help me build a Gentoo Gaming rig!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesimeris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Help me build a Gentoo Gaming rig! Reply with quote

Hi.

I've decided to attempt to build a pure gaming rig running on Gentoo. I would like the Gentoo gaming community to help me out here with any suggestions or ideas for my new rig.

(Yes, yes, if I want a proper gaming rig windows is probably the way to go, but screw that. I wanna give this a try, it will be fun)

So, here's what I have to work with:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (socket939)
1024mb DDR400 RAM (Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon X550 256mb PCI-e
100GB Hard drive space to work with.
Onboard 5.1 Sound
USB Laser Mouse 1600DPI
PS/2 Keyboard
19" TFT Monitor
Samsung DVD-RW
350 Watt PSU
2 80mm intake fans, 2 80mm extraction fans (current CPU temp constantly below 30 degrees Celsius)

-------------------

So, that is what I have to play with, now I need your help.

I want to know from the Gentoo Gaming Community - What should I do with Gentoo on this machine to make it as awesome a gaming rig as possible (software wise, what you see above is all I can afford :( )

I will be doing a Gentoo AMD64 2006.0 universal CD install (I also have the AMD64 package CD)

I am open to any suggestions you might have. Here are a few examples of what I mean:

- What sort of partition table shall I use? I have 100gb partitioned for this experiment (on one hard drive) - how shall I divide it up?

- What shall I compile in my kernel?

- What Window Manager should I use?

- What Window Manager customizations will be cool and aid the cause?

- What additional software shall I install?

- I have games installed on an NTFS partition on the same drive for Windows, should I just use those with Wine/Cedega, or should I install fresh copies within the Gentoo system?

- Anything else you could possibly think of to create the perfect software-base for a Gentoo gaming machine.

------------

I intend to start this epic adventure this Tuesday (5th September), so I hope I will have some suggestions by then.

Let's see how creative the gentoo gaming community is.

The floor is yours:
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before, I go into detail, what games do you have or do you play, which ever is more fitting.

I have a Cedega subscription and I can play the following in Cedega because these are the games I like and have:

Day of Defeat: Source
Counter-Strike: Source
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Lost coast
Half-Life Source
Half-Life Deathmatch Source
Mesimeris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much play anything...

Counterstrike, Warcraft 3, Prey, Guildwars, America's Army (sucks it apparently doesn't work properly in wine - stupid punkbuster), GTA:SA Online.

They don't all have to work, this is more of an experiment than a means to an end for my gaming. I just want to see what I can get Gentoo to do in terms of gaming.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counterstrike will work, Warcraft 3, Guild Wars, Prey (Pretty sure), GTA: SA, yeah

I'll post the good stuff in a few minutes.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point when virtually every game you listed is Windows-based? My rig is pretty much gaming-based and all of the games I play are Linux-native.

Socket AM2 Athlon 64 3500+ (OC'd to 3ghz)
GeForce 6600GT
2gb of DDR2 667 dual channel RAM

etc. etc.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
What's the point when virtually every game you listed is Windows-based? My rig is pretty much gaming-based and all of the games I play are Linux-native.

Socket AM2 Athlon 64 3500+ (OC'd to 3ghz)
GeForce 6600GT
2gb of DDR2 667 dual channel RAM

etc. etc.

The point is that Linux users who were once Windows users should not have to give up their favorite games when they move over. I haven't and Cedega has done that for me for the past year or so (I only paid for 3 months and then kept my downloads up until version 4.4.3, so I paid $15 to use my stuff for a year and then I resubscribed 6 or 7 days ago for another 3 months).

I see you're argument too...just like Linux constitutes a different way of doing things, you can also find different, but fulfilling games.
Mesimeris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I am out looking for Linux-native games, but at the end of the day, why does there have to be a point to doing this? I just want to have fun, try something new, and see what happens.

However the topic is not what games will I be playing, but rather what software/install will best improve my gaming in Gentoo? What would the average gamer want in their OS and Window Manager? A little widget that tells them what is playing on their favorite servers, or how much game-time they have accumulated?
What would be best to compile in one's kernel to up one's performance?

All those sort of things. That's what I am interested in.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, that is what I have to play with, now I need your help.

I want to know from the Gentoo Gaming Community - What should I do with Gentoo on this machine to make it as awesome a gaming rig as possible (software wise, what you see above is all I can afford :( )

I will be doing a Gentoo AMD64 2006.0 universal CD install (I also have the AMD64 package CD)

I am open to any suggestions you might have. Here are a few examples of what I mean:

- What sort of partition table shall I use? I have 100gb partitioned for this experiment (on one hard drive) - how shall I divide it up?

Do the standard Gentoo setup except make a separate partition for your /home so that you aren't limited by the root partition taking up space and so forth. That's where your Cedega/WINE stuff will be kept.

- What shall I compile in my kernel?

I didn't need to compile anything special.

- What Window Manager should I use?

I play in KDE because that is what I like. That will do or anything lite will work. Try Fluxbox or something to minimize memory usage.

- What Window Manager customizations will be cool and aid the cause?

FBDesk if you use Fluxbox, the standard KDE stuff off of Kde-look.org, but the more eye-candy the higher the memory usage there is.

- What additional software shall I install?

You would want Cedega of course as well as WINE. WineTools maybe nice as well. Make sure to get emul libraries.

- I have games installed on an NTFS partition on the same drive for Windows, should I just use those with Wine/Cedega, or should I install fresh copies within the Gentoo system?

I would do a fresh install. Make sure you check the cedega wiki and the games database on cedega's webstie to make sure your games work. Give them a try anyway. If they do work, then add it to the wiki. Also, it will take some tinkernig though, after the 5 or 10 min of tinkering, I never have to tinker again.

- Anything else you could possibly think of to create the perfect software-base for a Gentoo gaming machine.

Nothing much, oh make sure you limit the number of drivers that X 7.0 pulls. I only put in nv, vesa, and vmware.
Buddman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I game a lot. One thing I can say is that you'll have a hard time with ATI (as I have) and getting a lot of games to work in Cedega. But it's fun and challenging, and most games I have gotten to work. Native linux games I have pretty much 0 problems with (Quake 4 runs incredibly well).

But ATI and Cedega have been working together, so watch for improvements. Games I play:

UT2004
Quake 4
Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour
ZSNES (about every SNES rom out there)
Oblivion
Warhammer (with Winter Assult Addon)
Half-Life 2

My only disappointment with the above games is that Half Life 2 and Oblivion don't look as well as they do in Windows (Oblivion looks like Morrowind, and Half-Life 2 uses DX 7 or 8 instead of 9). But they are still playable.

For installing Gentoo I used the Conrad guide (do a search for it if ur not sure what it is). However, it's very experimental and I had other reasons for using it (resier4, to try it out, latest kernel and experimental patches - really just want to test new things out). Make sure no matter what you end up doing you are using the latest ATI drviers (if you're not using the open source ones, can't say much for them as I never used them). You should also check out compiz and Xgl if you want a nice desktop - I use KDE 3.5 with compiz and have to say it's really nice.

Well, good luck. Let us know how it goes.
piercey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesimeris wrote:

America's Army (sucks it apparently doesn't work properly in wine - stupid punkbuster)

America's Army has a native linux build available through portage.
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piercey wrote:
Mesimeris wrote:

America's Army (sucks it apparently doesn't work properly in wine - stupid punkbuster)

Ah, beaten to the punch.
There is in fact a native linux version of many games you will want to run.
My suggestion for everything is to first see if there is a linux client for whatever you want to play.
If you need to get insane performance out of your machine, you might want to not run a window manager at all. I am not sure of exactly how much of a difference it makes, but having no WM might give you a frame or two better performance.

That way when you insult them you're already a mile away and have their shoes.
ravalox
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three words: Nvidia, Nvidia, Nvidia. ATI drivers in linux are not very good. Take their windows performance and divide by two and that's where you're at. Nvidia's linux drivers are almost as good as their windows drivers.
Lloeki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Three words: Nvidia, Nvidia, Nvidia. ATI drivers in linux are not very good. Take their windows performance and divide by two and that's where you're at. Nvidia's linux drivers are almost as good as their windows drivers.

performance wise, that's completely untrue. on 4 computers (9000, 9600 x600m, x700m), and they behave much better than under windows (tested with native nwn&doom3 and guildwars/cedega. I could show figures if I still had windows around.
stability wise, I have some crash/corruption issues with my x600m that I have to settle. others seem fine.
support-wise, if you ever want to use cedega in a serious way, favor nvidia, they don't seem to like ati much (though it seems to be changing recently): close to no work has been done to make games behave better when semi-obvious fixes and workarounds were available, when fixes for nvidia users come on the double.
deadstar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piercey wrote:
Mesimeris wrote:

Not any more

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: