Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How does the minimal install CD compare to the LiveCD?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oddbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: How does the minimal install CD compare to the LiveCD? Reply with quote

I've been trying on and off for a while now to get a working Gentoo installation, but I keep running into problems.

The first time, I couldn't make anything compile at a reasonable speed. I think something was wrong with the way I configured the kernel, but then I also tested genkernel and it was no different.
It would literally take up to 10 hours to compile almost anything. The kernel took longer than that even to compile, especially genkernel. and the laptop wasn't even that old so I don't know what was wrong there.

Then I tried a few times on another laptop but I could never get wireless working, when I finally did, it would only work without any encryption WPA, WEP etc... I keep going to other distros..

But I'm not a complete quitter lol, I have a goal to master Gentoo some day on some computer :D

But, I'm just thinking.. all these times, I've been using the minimal install CD, so I'm wondering, how does it compare (as far as hardware/networking problems go) to using the liveCD of Gentoo?

Ubuntu worked fine on both of those laptops I mentioned above, would it be safe to assume that the Gentoo liveCD would also work well?
Also, in case I'm really fudging something up on the installs, does the liveCD give me as many options, or is it pretty much fool proof like the Ubuntu installer?

I've never tried it before because I never had CD's big enough to hold Gentoo.. it's like 2.5Gb no?
But I think I could muster one up somehow if I think it's worth a shot, I don't want it to just give me the exact same results which is why I'm asking before I try.

Thanks.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: How does the minimal install CD compare to the LiveCD? Reply with quote

Hi,
Oddbio wrote:
But, I'm just thinking.. all these times, I've been using the minimal install CD, so I'm wondering, how does it compare (as far as hardware/networking problems go) to using the liveCD of Gentoo?

First, I recommend that you use the latest Gentoo minimal CD because you don't need more actually :

ftp://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/pub/gentoo/releases/amd64/current-iso/

Or

ftp://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/pub/gentoo/releases/x86/current-iso/

Also, you can also use the latest SystemRescueCD to install your box, because it's Gentoo based and you install your box using the Xfce WM inside the SystemRescueCD environment.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: How does the minimal install CD compare to the LiveCD? Reply with quote

Oddbio wrote:
Ubuntu worked fine on both of those laptops I mentioned above, would it be safe to assume that the Gentoo liveCD would also work well?
Also, in case I'm really fudging something up on the installs, does the liveCD give me as many options, or is it pretty much fool proof like the Ubuntu installer?

There is no graphical installer, so the answer is no :P You need to install Gentoo the manual way using this : http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
Oddbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I did have the latest minimal install CD, but oh well.
and ya, I was following that handbook.

I'll probably be giving it another shot eventually lol.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, and like I said, you can install Gentoo from SystemRescueCD if you want to browse the web while you install your Gentoo box.

You can even install Gentoo from an another distro too :P
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your processor?...and also post your make.conf
Oddbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics:

I guess I could try installing Gentoo on that laptop again, if you all think your up to helping me...
But believe me, I did have a lot of help already and no one could figure out what was wrong.

It currently has windoze on it, so ya, I have no problems reformatting if you think it might work this time.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different forum userid? Or help other than this forum?

- John
Oddbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly over the IRC, had a lot of helpful people, but I also had a post here.
Let me see if I can remember my old username/password and find that post.
shouldn't take long.
Oddbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-758582-highlight-.html

It says [SOLVED-moreOrLess], because I realised that I could just install the binary packages and not have to compile everything.
But I remember that I still ran into other problems, but I just didn't bother continuing the thread, so that's when I started trying to install Gentoo on the other laptop.

I remember everything going reeeallly slow, on the screen. When all the text was on the screen as it was compiling when it would print another line, everything would move up very slowly.

It's like it was running out of ram or something, so now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if I tried removing "-pipe" from the compile options.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: