Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Back from an amd64 no-multilib to a multilib system.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wykladowca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: HOWTO: Back from an amd64 no-multilib to a multilib system. Reply with quote

I was recently forced to recompile some 32-bit libs, since my new processor supports the hardware accelerated virtual machines technology, which I would like to use. Reinstalling the system from scratch would be painful, so I came up with a different solution, which I would like to share with you.

What we need for building a multilib system is gcc and glib able to compile 32-bit executables, but to compile those apps in this configuration we need gcc and glib able to compile 32-bit executables. Because of this recursion, a simple changing of the profile and recompiling will not work. However, we can use an another gentoo installation to give the things a little push.

Login as root, and obtain the most recent stage3 tarball (wget it from the favorite mirror). Next type few commands, that will set up an environment to which you will later chroot:
Code:

mkdir /helper
tar -xapf stage3-amd64-*.tar.bz2 -C /helper
mkdir /helper/usr/portage
mount --bind /usr/portage /helper/usr/portage
mount --bind /dev /helper/dev
mount -t proc none /helper/proc
mkdir /helper/target
mount --bind / /helper/target

Before chrooting to the newly untared system, adjust profile of your main system
Code:

eselect profile list
eselect profile set [number_of_selected_profile]

If you use paludis, remember that it stores the profile for repositories in its own configuration files.

Back to chrooting
Code:

chroot /helper
mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

And now emerging of gcc and glibc. If you want, at this point you may check the sub-system portage profile or adjust its make.conf (and set makeopts), but skipping those points rather won't be fatal.
If you use stable branch type:
Code:

emerge --root=/target --root-deps=rdeps gcc glibc

And for testing branch, type:
Code:

ACCPET_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge --root=/target --root-deps=rdeps gcc glibc

After emerge finished, type "logout" to get out of the chrooted environmet.

Although the described process will not provide you with a complete multilib system, the rest of needed steps (e.g. emerging libraries) can be made from the main system, since the basic tools are available from this point.*

The clean up code is
Code:

umount /helper/dev/pts /helper/dev /helper/proc /helper/usr/portage /helper/target
rm -R --one-file-system /helper
unlink stage3-amd64-*.tar.bz2

Remember, it is always good idea to backup things! (I have been running altered system for few hours now, so I am not 100% sure if I did not brake down anything)

*-in order to compile virtualbox-ose I needed also emul-linux-x86-baselibs and emul-linux-x86-xlibs
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been recently been in a similar situation. I had a no-multilib amd64 and I needed a multilib system. I successfully followed the Howto switch to multilib in the HOWTO_AMD_64 article in the old gentoo wiki.

Cheers!
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get glibc and gcc from tinderbox and "emerge -K" them is yet another possibility to get things going.
sips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera wrote:
Get glibc and gcc from tinderbox and "emerge -K" them is yet another possibility to get things going.
Yep, that seems the easiest way.
I just did it yesterday (also included sandbox from tinderbox) and after some rebuilds, everything working as expected.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sips wrote:
sera wrote:
Yep, that seems the easiest way.
I just did it yesterday (also included sandbox from tinderbox) and after some rebuilds, everything working as expected.

That was the easiest changeover I've ever had:
  1. Code:
    eselect package-manger set portage
    (in case you're a paludis guy) --pbin is not in the same binary format
  2. Code:
    rm -vR /etc/paludis

3. Code:
    emerge -K glibc

4. Code:
    emerge -K gcc

5. Code:
    emerge sandbox

6. Code:
    ./portage2paludis.bash
    get script
  7. rebuild empty tree, a.)emerge -eav world, or b.)paludis -i --dl-reinstall always --continue-on-failure if independent installed-packages
  8. Code:
    eselect package-manager set paludis

Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
hardly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

This was a big help. :-)
jkroon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another mechanism, which I used yesterday before someone pointed this out was to use my laptop (which is of similar arch) to build binary packages for the server I had which had a broken gcc (reason unknown). Firstly use gcc to figure out what -march=native would actually set:

Code:
gcc -E -v -march=native -</dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1

This will output something like:

Code:
/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/cc1 -E -quiet -v - -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -march=core2 -mcx16 -msahf -msse4.1 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -mtune=core2

Then use emerge -pv to figure out what exactly will be required to "upgrade" the specific broken package, eg:

Code:
morpheus ~ # emerge -pv sys-devel/gcc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r1  USE="cxx mudflap nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -fortran -gcj* -graphite -gtk* (-hardened) (-libffi) (-libssp) -lto (-multilib*) -multislot -nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

* IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

Before I started there were some additional packages, so I you need to try and match CFLAGS, as well as USE actually (which I did not, which is why the gcj and gtk flags above is wrong now, also laptop is multilib which the server is not. So on the laptop I then executed:

Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=core2 -mcx16 -msahf -msse4.1 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -march=core2" emerge -1avB =dev-libs/mpc-0.8.2 =sys-devel/gcc-4.5.3-r1 ...

From there you can copy the binary packages (now residing in /usr/portage/packages probably) over to the other system using whatever mechanism you prefer, I like rsync:

Code:
# rsync -rvP /usr/portage/packages/ root@remsystem:/usr/portage/packages/

Then on the broken system:

Code:
# emerge -Kav sys-devel/gcc

Which should now insist it wants to install a bunch of BINARY packages. If so, proceed, and you should now have a fully functional system again. Obviously this assumes your python is still OK. If not, well, good luck, I believe there are some recovery tarballs you can use in those cases, but generally it's a harder problem to solve.
Alakhai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks it worked for me!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: