bizarre network problem with amd64 install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
withinboredom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: bizarre network problem with amd64 install Reply with quote

Interesting thing going on here. I've got a compaq v2000 with a amd turion inside this beast. Boot up the minimal cd and with a 8139 ethernet card. I'v loaded the modules but dhcpcd just can't get me an address.

I defined my own (correct gateway, and dns server) ip and tried pinging other ip's on the network and beyond and get no response. Everything is setup correctly, and I know that it is 'sending packets' because I set the ip to the same as another computer, pinged and watched the other computer freak out about another computer having the same ip. It's just bizarre. Could this be a hardware problem? I've already wiped out windows ... so I can't test it there, I've been using wireless for the past year and haven't used the ethernet in forever.

Bleh, not the best I've posted in this forum, but it's what happens when one stays up all night I suppose.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be you have something like a firewire card and then you confuse the ethernet ports? try this command:
Code:

# ifconfig -s -a
to see if you have more than one ethernet (eth*) device :)

(linux will react to an ip set for one interface on all interfaces, so if you had the cable plugged in properly and, for example, your ethernet was eth1 and you set up this collision on eth0, then any ping from the machine would go out on eth0, which wouldn't work but the incoming ping on eth1 would still be reacted on, so the other machine might freak out)

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: