A Gentoo install question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RubberDucky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: A Gentoo install question Reply with quote

Hi all,
Im new to this forum and too linux. I tried ubuntu a few months back but i didnt like it much. Im looking to install gentoo. I currentley run windows xp pro. But i want to stop going and playing on my pc as much and go out with my mates and stuff. So i have deiced to install gentoo on my other IDE 250GB hard drive. But im wondering if i wanted to delete gentoo off it would i be able to delete the swap partitons or waht ever they are and use my IDE drive with out a OS on it. Im actually wuite tiered of reformatting and installing windows ever few weeks. Also how would i go about putting my raid drivers on would i need them as i run a Nforce 4 board and most my other drives are SATAII. Also what is the actual driver support like. I have tired installing gentoo but i couldnt understand it but i will have another shot at it agen.
RubberDucky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should i format the drive i want to install gentoo on to in NFTS ?
pteppic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, by working through the gentoo installation handbook partitioning and formatting of your drive will be covered. If you want a partition to be shared between windows and linux then format it as fat32, or get ext3 capability in windows.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pteppic wrote:
No, by working through the gentoo installation handbook partitioning and formatting of your drive will be covered. If you want a partition to be shared between windows and linux then format it as fat32, or get ext3 capability in windows.

go with fat32 or ext2 if you want to share things with windows. ext3 can break the ext2/3 windows drivers if you don't shutdown properly

linux doesn't have (proper) write support for ntfs because... well, it's not that great of a filesystem (for a *nix) and microsoft won't cough up the specs.

i really wouldn't suggest gentoo if you only gave ubuntu a shot and didn't like that. that is, what exactly was wrong with ubuntu? depending on what was wrong, gentoo might or might not be better for you. did you try the graphical installer for gentoo or the manual method?

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
srkitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my own info, you said ext2 can share with windows. does this mean windows can read/write to ext2 or just read?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srkitch wrote:
for my own info, you said ext2 can share with windows. does this mean windows can read/write to ext2 or just read?

windows can read/write to ext2 partitions, but you need a special IFS [windows name for "filesystem driver"]. you can get one here: www.fs-driver.org/ although, if i was to share things between linux and windows, i'd really rather use fat32, since windows has native support for that.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
srkitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only issue with fat32 is size....i have a very large folder of music, docs, and other media that i would like to use both in linux and windows. its about 10GB, much larger than a fat32, and i don't want several partitions to house it. thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: