Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
seeing boot sequence in windows
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: seeing boot sequence in windows Reply with quote

Is there any way to see the boot or shutdown sequence in windows?
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 5213

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enable boot logging?
_________________
goodbye fgo. it was nice knowing you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 328
Location: o0o0oo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can look at some of the debug as it boots in safe mode. In all reality all it does is list the drivers it loads.
_________________
My Systems - "I suggest the whole thing be coded in whitespace. Henceforth the code will be obscure and functional at the same time."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
enable boot logging?
in windows?
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4197
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
bunder wrote:
enable boot logging?
in windows?


yes. If it is an XP machine, goto RUN and type "msconfig". Under the BOOT.INI tab is a boot logging option
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
feld
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 593
Location: WI, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/sos and /noguiboot to the boot.ini line

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
_________________
< bmg505> I think the first line in reiserfsck is

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3327

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:
/sos and /noguiboot to the boot.ini line

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
shit! you can do far more with that than grub or lilo 8O
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4197
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
feld wrote:
/sos and /noguiboot to the boot.ini line

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
shit! you can do far more with that than grub or lilo 8O


Except Grub/Lilo/Linux-kernel works...
Those Boot.ini switches are more for turning things off,debugging,logging as oposed to just working. I mean /maxmem=number
This switch specifies the amount of RAM, in bytes, that Windows can use. For example, if you want Windows to use less than 64 MB of memory, use the /maxmem=64 switch.


Why would you want to limit RAM... Well actually I know of one case but it was for developing applications when there is limited RAM (ie it is easier/quicker to fill 100meg then it is 2gig... so don't address over 100meg if you want to test)

but you see my point
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 328
Location: o0o0oo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running windows on 16mb of ram is fun tho! :twisted:
_________________
My Systems - "I suggest the whole thing be coded in whitespace. Henceforth the code will be obscure and functional at the same time."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chrismcdirty
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Jul 2003
Posts: 160
Location: Newark, DE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
feld wrote:
/sos and /noguiboot to the boot.ini line

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
shit! you can do far more with that than grub or lilo 8O


Except Grub/Lilo/Linux-kernel works...
Those Boot.ini switches are more for turning things off,debugging,logging as oposed to just working. I mean /maxmem=number
This switch specifies the amount of RAM, in bytes, that Windows can use. For example, if you want Windows to use less than 64 MB of memory, use the /maxmem=64 switch.


Why would you want to limit RAM... Well actually I know of one case but it was for developing applications when there is limited RAM (ie it is easier/quicker to fill 100meg then it is 2gig... so don't address over 100meg if you want to test)

but you see my point

I don't remember if it was /maxmem or another switch, but on one of the servers at my old job, we had to use one of those switches to enable over 2 (or 4) GB of memory for Windows to use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jamiethehutt
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Oct 2004
Posts: 66
Location: Scotland!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
feld wrote:
/sos and /noguiboot to the boot.ini line

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
shit! you can do far more with that than grub or lilo 8O


Except Grub/Lilo/Linux-kernel works...
Those Boot.ini switches are more for turning things off,debugging,logging as oposed to just working. I mean /maxmem=number
This switch specifies the amount of RAM, in bytes, that Windows can use. For example, if you want Windows to use less than 64 MB of memory, use the /maxmem=64 switch.


Why would you want to limit RAM... Well actually I know of one case but it was for developing applications when there is limited RAM (ie it is easier/quicker to fill 100meg then it is 2gig... so don't address over 100meg if you want to test)

but you see my point

Unfortunately thats probably there from the 9x days when it would flake out if you gave it to much RAM...
_________________
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other forever from our living rooms. That way we won't even have to go outside." - A Scanner Darkly By PK Dick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru


Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Posts: 304
Location: no

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't you just do the F8 safe mode thingy, and see all the random files being loaded? its not like windows services are hard to identify with their clear and obvious names ... :roll:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 5213

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
can't you just do the F8 safe mode thingy, and see all the random files being loaded? its not like windows services are hard to identify with their clear and obvious names ... :roll:


yeah but sometimes its nice to see how it boots in normal mode. :P
_________________
goodbye fgo. it was nice knowing you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum