Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2006/2007 Filesystem Poll
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What filesystem do you use/recommend?
Ext2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ext3
49%
 49%  [ 136 ]
Ext3.5/Ext4
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
ReiserFS
30%
 30%  [ 83 ]
Reiser4
6%
 6%  [ 17 ]
XFS
6%
 6%  [ 18 ]
JFS
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Other???
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
There's a difference between the filesystems!!!
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 274

Author Message
jdm64
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Posts: 26
Location: CyberSpace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in summary

Ext2
Is not really popular any more, except for /boot

Ext3
Is the most popular filesystem (at least in this poll, so far)
It's good for sharing files with other operating systems
Rock solid because it's been tried and tested for longer than the other filesystems
Fast enough (even though some say that others perform better) given tweaking like dir_index and full journalling
Data loss is almost unheard of

ReiserFS
The second most popular filesystem (at least in this poll, so far)
It's a good filesystem for /usr/portage because it's good with small files
Fast and mostly reliable (some cases of data loss after a crash)
Some say that it slows down due to fragmentation

Reiser4
Not as popular as the other filesystems, because it hasn't been tested as much
Although some will use it as soon as it gains xattr support

XFS
Fast for large files, and as such it's good for holding media
But, data loss can accure if there's a crash (several lead Debian developers lost data)

JFS
Not used very often; even the Gentoo handbook says little about it
A good balance in speed between small and large files

UFS
*BSDs main filesystem


Last edited by jdm64 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brainfart
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 123
Location: Redmond, WA, USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that Reiser4 is necessarily unpopular, but more unproven. It's still new, remember, and they're still working out a few kinks...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 328
Location: o0o0oo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe reiser4 was released, im using the latest version, works like a champ. I dont like ext2/3, i has blown up on me a few times. Reiserfs is very stable, never seen a system crash with it (that is I wasnt trying to make it die).

Reiser4 is fairly stable, I managed to lock up my system, hit the power button while it was writing(I had better things to do). Had to reboot into a live cd and run fsck. It said what files were broken, asked if I wanted to repair them(didnt work of course). My grip is that it renames broken files and places a pointer to them, which can be a major pain when replacing them. Next reboot worked great after fetching the broken files from the stage tarball and emerge.

I think my system locked up because I ran out of virual memory. oh well I keep all my media and work on a seperate drive, on a more stable fs :P
_________________
My Systems - "I suggest the whole thing be coded in whitespace. Henceforth the code will be obscure and functional at the same time."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdm64
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Posts: 26
Location: CyberSpace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibrokatana wrote:
I'm using the latest version, works like a champ. Reiser4 is fairly stable.

But, don't you find Reiser4 to be slower than other filesystems? I've read this benchmark and others, and they show that Reiser4 is the slowest in almost every test! Is this still true? If not then someone should re-benchmark using all the latest versions. Because if speed has improved then Reiser4 would be a really good filesystem!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 328
Location: o0o0oo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdm64 wrote:
vibrokatana wrote:
I'm using the latest version, works like a champ. Reiser4 is fairly stable.

But, don't you find Reiser4 to be slower than other filesystems? I've read this benchmark and others, and they show that Reiser4 is the slowest in almost every test! Is this still true? If not then someone should re-benchmark using all the latest versions. Because if speed has improved then Reiser4 would be a really good filesystem!


I found it to be fast as heck with small files, which coincidentally almost 95% of linux is made up of. I havent ran any benchmarks on my end, but reiser4 appears to be faster compared to reiserfs. I havent ran ext on root for years so i can comment on that...
_________________
My Systems - "I suggest the whole thing be coded in whitespace. Henceforth the code will be obscure and functional at the same time."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 5142
Location: Anaheim, CA (USA)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me <3 Ext3
_________________
~~ Peter: Brony, GNU/Linux geek, caffeine addict, and Free Software advocate.
Who am I? :: EFF & FSF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Varean
Guru
Guru


Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 436
Location: California, USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReiserFS.

1GB Swap as ext2(doesnt really count)
and then 159GB on my beloved SATA formatted as ReiserFS for my linux box. My windows gets to have my old 120GB ATA w/NTFS formatting.
_________________
Registered Linux User #387568
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidy
l33t
l33t


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 915

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...
swop as extwo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdm64
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Posts: 26
Location: CyberSpace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering does anyone know more information about JFS?
It's like nobody uses it! The Gentoo manual says only:
Quote:
JFS is IBM's high-performance journaling filesystem. It has recently become production-ready and there hasn't been a sufficient track record to comment positively nor negatively on its general stability at this point.

And Wikipedia dosen't give any usefull information other than it was developed by IBM and is not offically supported.

I'd like to know a little more about how the file system works (like the ReiserFS page on wikipedia), and if anyone would recomend it over ReiserFS, Reiser4, XFS or EXT3.
_________________
2006/2007 Filesystem Poll?
If emerge didn't exist....
What are you doing to Stop Windows Vista?
If you had to use another open source OS...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with ext2 on /boot and ext3 elsewhere.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R.Smith
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 131
Location: Caerdydd, Cymru.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdm64 wrote:
I was wondering does anyone know more information about JFS?
It's like nobody uses it! The Gentoo manual says only:
Quote:
JFS is IBM's high-performance journaling filesystem. It has recently become production-ready and there hasn't been a sufficient track record to comment positively nor negatively on its general stability at this point.

And Wikipedia dosen't give any usefull information other than it was developed by IBM and is not offically supported.

I'd like to know a little more about how the file system works (like the ReiserFS page on wikipedia), and if anyone would recomend it over ReiserFS, Reiser4, XFS or EXT3.


I've been looking into JFS recently, too, and you're right; recent, solid information about it is very scarce. :?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdm64
n00b
n00b


Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Posts: 26
Location: CyberSpace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that 2 people voted for EXT3.5/EXT4!

Can you even create an EXT3.5 filesystem? I thought it hadn't really made it into the kernel.
I've only heard about it from here and here.

I guess they were just trying to mess the poll up! :roll:
_________________
2006/2007 Filesystem Poll?
If emerge didn't exist....
What are you doing to Stop Windows Vista?
If you had to use another open source OS...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ext3 and reiserfs my desktop is reiserfs and my laptop is ext3 both perform very well as far as I can tell.
_________________
Ware wa mutekinari.
Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hellbringer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 12 Feb 2003
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 Filesystem Poll Reply with quote

jdm64 wrote:

What filesytem do think is the best for:
1. Reliability
2. Speed


Fixed. ;-)

Ext3 will do the trick.
_________________
There is a lot of novelty and truth in what you say, but that which is true is not novel and that which is novel is not true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ext3 is great, it will fit any need, and is tunable to any need. For an example of my setup:

http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/configs/filesystem%20creation
http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/configs/fstab
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Posts: 2767
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ext2 for boot and reiserfs everwhere else. I would try XFS but I learned that you can not shrink an xfs partition and when using lvm (which I do everwhere) I need to shrink filesystems from time to time.

reiser4 caught my eye because of transparent filesystem compression (which I used all the time when all my systems were windows based). However it looks like reiser4 will never make it into the mainline kernel and until it does so I am not sure I trust my data with it.
_________________
John

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:

reiser4 caught my eye because of transparent filesystem compression (which I used all the time when all my systems were windows based). However it looks like reiser4 will never make it into the mainline kernel and until it does so I am not sure I trust my data with it.


It will likely be in 2.6.20 at least that's the aim, Andrew Morton himself is doing the code review, he plans to propose it for .19 to encourage some more reviews. Sadly all of the namesys people are either sick or on vacation currently so fixes might be delayed in getting into their codebase.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 May 2006
Posts: 1919

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ext2 for /boot
ext3 for /
reiserfs for /home
ext3 for /livecd (which I'm seriously tempted to trash for a partition...)


I've heard good things of XFS, and what all you can get ext3 to sit up and do, but I'm not much for messing with a system I have no back-up for :)

Next time, though, I'm thinking of making /usr/portage ReiserFS for the speed increase, and messing with my hard disk performance. Here is hoping I don't screw up the hard drive...
_________________
The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru


Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 471
Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
XFS baby!


x2

NQS
_________________
These opinions are mine, mine I say! Piss off and get your own.

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doubleagent
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 444
Location: 127.0.0.1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
ext3 - don't want to play silly whatsits with me data
++
_________________
shickapooka wrote:
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Momo_CCCP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 26 Oct 2004
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with JFS on all my boxen. Benchmarks say it doesn't use much CPU so it's good for my laptop, plus it's written by IBM, and tested for long time on AIX (though I know the code is not quite the same) and everything so I assume it is pretty reliable. I've been using it for a little more than two years on three different systems and so far it has survived all the power cuts, AC-removal-forgot-to-put-in-the-battery that have happened without losing a single file, so I am definitely happy (and I still do backups on a regular basis :lol:).
_________________
Momo_CCCP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atrus123
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Posts: 339
Location: Annapolis, MD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that JFS is about to get integrated with the next SuSE. That'll be a big break for this underappreciated filesystem.
_________________
"I cannot support a movement that exploded spending and borrowing and blames its successor for the debt."
-Andrew Sullivan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
borden_hawk
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 32
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with:

/boot Ext2
/ Ext3/ReiserFS
/home Ext3/ReiserFS

On my desktop, Ext3 and on my laptop ReiserFS (because I felt like it)

ReiserFS runs portage much faster, and I've never had problems with data loss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moebius
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 76
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: ext2 and ReiserFS Reply with quote

Quote:
/boot --> ext2
/ --> reiserfs
/usr --> reiserfs
/c: --> ntfs
/d: --> vfat


Since I use Win2000 and Gentoo I prefer the Windows Partition d: for storing all kind of personal Datas (Thunderbird, OO-Docs, ...)
_________________
There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who unterstand binary and those who don't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bol
n00b
n00b


Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My filesystem on my ws looks something like this:

/boot ext2
/ reiserfs
/home reiserfs

Can't find any reason to change..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum