Web Server Control Panel Suggestions?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velandil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Web Server Control Panel Suggestions? Reply with quote

I've been searching for almost 4 hours now, and I've come up reasonably empty handed.

I'm looking for a web server control panel (like Plesk, Cpanel, Webmin, etc. type of thing) for Gentoo.

I need something that is compatible with Gentoo (Cpanel doesn't look like it supports Gentoo yet), and is preferably free (using this for my self not for any type of business).

The main purpose I want this for is to easily add, manage and remove subdomains, email addresses, track usage, set quota's, etc. etc.

I'd love something that's got an ebuild but anything with instructions on how to set it up would work.

I'm sure someone's going to reply with something perfect that I've overlooked :).

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
PMcCauley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmin is in portage. Should be emerge webmin. That's the only one I've ever used I'm am sure there are more.

Patrick
eyeL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmin is nice, and it even has functions that help you control the actual system.

You could always try writing something like that, it'd probably take some learning if you aren't into programming, but it'd be a good experience.
Velandil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMcCauley wrote:
Webmin is in portage. Should be emerge webmin. That's the only one I've ever used I'm am sure there are more.

Patrick

Well I have it installed now but I haven't figured out how to create subdomains using it. It has me really confused and I couldn't find anywhere that tells you how to create subdomains (which is why I was looking for one similar).
PMcCauley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velandil wrote:

Well I have it installed now but I haven't figured out how to create subdomains using it. It has me really confused and I couldn't find anywhere that tells you how to create subdomains (which is why I was looking for one similar).

Yeah not sure. The way I would create one would be add virtual host to apache and add dns entry, you may want to do more than that like quota's, new user, etc. If you cannot find a tool to automatically do it you could do manually through webmin or you need a script developed for this purpose which is probably not too difficult to make depending on how complicated you would want it and how much error handling it has. I really enjoy web programming as a hobby so I could probably point you in the right direction or even whip up a prototype but no guarentee's cause I don't have much free time.

Patrick
RioFL
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are playing with webmin on one of our virtual servers, and although it appears to do a reasonable job with virtual websites, it is a mess to work with as well... either i have something set up wrong or there is a bug in it.. when i go to delete a virtual website, it deletes ALL websites in the directory! so at this point i cannot recommend it for production use. i am trying to see how plesk can be made to work under gentoo. we have a plesk server on redhat 9 and it has done well for us even with its 'controlling nature' which forces me to work like it wants me to.. we disabled dns and email on it as it is only supposed to go for web... i would love to place plesk on gentoo but i am a bit skeptical due to the rpm requirements.. i have to find a way to tell rpm that all the libraries are already installed since it searches some database it owns.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: