Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2006 min install CD - keyboard dead at console - sticky plz?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_lawson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: 2006 min install CD - keyboard dead at console - sticky plz? Reply with quote

I've tried to install using both the AMD64 and x86 minimal install CDs. The system is a P4 HT with Intel's EMT64 tech. I believe the docs said the AMD64 install is suitable for this hardware -- regardless, I also tried x86 and the problem still exists.

The problem is with the keyboard (PS/2) becoming unresponsive when reaching the prompt (#) / console. There is an i8024 error at boot -- assuming it's failing to load some module needed for PS/2 keyboard usage?

I've searched and found numerous threads, posts, etc. about this very issue -- with suggestions ranging anywhere from disabling USB support in the BIOS, to disabling SMP support when booting gentoo -- however, there appear to be no definitive answers/solutions. The only definitive thing seems to be that it's related specifically to the 2.6 kernel and that it happens every single time you try to boot using the minimal install CD.

I've also tried nousb, acpi=off, basically all the tricks etc.

Can we either get this thread stickied with explicit solutions or can somebody who has specifically solved this problem please post either an explanation or a link to an explanation on how to solve it?

It would be greatly appreciated by MANY of us -- as the 2006 minimal install CD is pretty much useless at this point for many people out there. Thanks!
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that i had similar issues, but only with my USB keyboard. In my case i think it's been a buggy bios (both on this new board and the old one) and it's connected to the bios's "usb legacy emulation" feature and i was always able to work around this problem by enabling legacy emulation and power-cycling. in your case, however, i'm rather clueless, since you're using a PS/2 keyboard and i haven't ever had trouble with any of those. my suggestions would be: do a hard power-cycle (on/off switch on your PSU), deactivate legacy usb support in your bios (since you have a legacy keyboard to begin with) and completely deactivate usb support in your bios and/or unplug all usb devices (i saw some mice and joysticks that claimed to be hubs with both hid joystick/mouse and hid keyboard connected, and i saw the reverse. both of that could upset the keyboard driver)

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )

Last edited by mdeininger on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 min install CD - keyboard dead at console - sticky Reply with quote

b_lawson wrote:
I've searched and found numerous threads, posts, etc. about this very issue -- with suggestions ranging anywhere from disabling USB support in the BIOS, to disabling SMP support when booting gentoo -- however, there appear to be no definitive answers/solutions.

The real solution would be to fix the buggy hardware and/or BIOS.

Until then, there are several workarounds that you can use to get Gentoo installed.
    Fiddle with BIOS settings
    Switch to a different type of keyboard
    Boot with a non-Gentoo LiveCD
    Put the harddrive in a computer that doesn't have this bug, then install there
b_lawson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 min install CD - keyboard dead at console - sticky Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:

That was it. I guess the REAL solution is indeed to update to a non-bugged BIOS. I'm running on a Dell Precision 380 and flashed the BIOS to the latest and that fixed the initial error that was being reported and the keyboard now works.

Thanks for the help.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 min install CD - keyboard dead at console - sticky Reply with quote

b_lawson wrote:
cyrillic wrote:

That was it. I guess the REAL solution is indeed to update to a non-bugged BIOS. I'm running on a Dell Precision 380 and flashed the BIOS to the latest and that fixed the initial error that was being reported and the keyboard now works.

Thanks for the help.

it's astounishing to see how many bioses are bugged nowadays... i might be wrong, but, back in the days the bios used to be the only thing that was pretty much free of bugs, now wasn't it?

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: