AMD 64 Universal Boot CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xinfinity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: AMD 64 Universal Boot CD Reply with quote

Pls forgive my ignorance if this is an easy resolution (I have primarily worked with windows all my life). I am interested in seeing the full potential of my 64 bit system, so I downloaded the install-amd64-universal-2006.0.iso. I have browsed the installation forum and reviewed the AMD64 handbook, but I cannot determine how to get the install process started? I have a copy of SLAX, but I only have read access to my hard drive (any suggestions on how to change the permissions would be greatly appreciated).

In the hand book included in the iso it states the install cd is located in "releases/amd64/2006.0/installcd" but I cannot find that directory in the iso? I did find "gentoo-livecd-2006.0-0.9.3.tar" in the iso, tried to burn it to a cd (exactly how it extracted), but would not boot (I have my boot order to check the cd before the hd). I also tried burning the extracted iso to a cd, I assumed it would boot...and my assumption was correct.

Since I have not worked with Linux much (soon to change) maybe this is easier than I am making it out to be :?:

My system:

∞DFI LanParty nF3 250Gb ∞
∞AMD Athlon 3000+ @ 2.4 ∞
∞1 GB Corsair Xms @ 2.5-3-3-6 ∞
∞20 GB Quantum Fireball (for now) ∞
∞PNY Nvidia 5700 ultra 128MB ∞

Thx in advance,

x∞
duby2291
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a problem man!!

Just go to the gentoo.org front page and click on the handbook link on the left side of the page.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?style=printable&full=1

Remember to do a search, before asking questions tho. Just know that any question you have has prolly been asked and answered a thousand times before. It's not really a problem though. Just search for the answer first.

Self education will be better learned then someone feeding the solution to you.[/quote]
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AMD 64 Universal Boot CD Reply with quote

Hi.
xinfinity wrote:

In the hand book included in the iso it states the install cd is located in "releases/amd64/2006.0/installcd" but I cannot find that directory in the iso?

The releases/amd64/2006.0/installcd is the path on the mirrors where you can find the install cd. From your post, I gather that you already have it. All you need to do now is to burn the iso into a cd. Be carefull not to burn it as a file, but as an image.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: