View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Configuring XFree problems - Basics ok but...ARGH Reply with quote

Hi,

Fresh Gentoo installation. I just emerged XFree (stable) and a then run "xfree86config" , following the docs. My system is quite straight forward: Sony Multiscan 20SEII (GDM 20SE2 T5) , and a MS intellimouse with a wheel. My graphics is a Geforce3 TI200 w/64Mb.

From Sonys supportsite I get that Horz=30-96 KHz and Vert=48-160 Hz. I choose to specify these in the configuration program.
I specify "Microsoft Intellimouse" for my mouse.
I specify option 322 (Geforce) as my graphics card and 65536 kb of ram.

I check the XF86config file that the refresh rates etc. got written accordingly. No problem. I fire up X and it starts ok. BUT - theres something wrong with the "viewport" if you will...seems like X is showing TWM in one resolution, but the screen only shows half. Hope this makes sence to you people...its like I cant see the whole screen. The mouse behaves somewhat strange, but I guess it could be related...

What can be wrong? Why does such a simple standard setup confuse XFree?

regards,
Supermule
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... it's not a problem, it's a feature which is called virtual desktop :). Basically, X has a display size for your resolution and a display size for the desktop you want. You should be able to move through your whole desktop by getting the mouse on the sides.

Anyway to modify it, go into your XF86Config file, in the section "Screen" you should see somewhere a line with "Virtual". Remove it.

Let us know how it turns out.
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barlad wrote:

Anyway to modify it, go into your XF86Config file, in the section "Screen" you should see somewhere a line with "Virtual". Remove it.
Let us know how it turns out.

Hi,

I dont have such a line....I searched for "virt" in the file and came up empty. Only lines in the screen section is colordepth, viewport (which is 0 0) and the modes.

I tried to move the mouse around to see if the view changes, but it doesnt. and it seems that I cannot even move the mouse vertical?

What gives...

/Supermule
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm wierd. Can you switch resolutions with CTRL ALT +/- ?
Could you attach your XF86Config please?
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you arranged the resolution backward, i.e "800x600" "1024x768" and you get the first one with the visual of the bigger one. You should arrage them with the bigger in front.
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for all the answers.

It turmed out to be the order of the resolutions that did the trick. Just like Bsolar suggested. Odd though, 'cause I havent tampered with the auto-generated file...Seems like an error in that script?

My mouse problem was solved by switching from "Intellimouse" to "IMPS/2"....Again seems like an error, cause I have a genuine Intellimouse :=)

Again, thanks all....Im running Fluxbox with newest Nvidia drivers now. Nice nice :)

/Supermule
TripKnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware there was an "Intellimouse" mouse option, only: "ExplorerPS/2" and "IMPS/2". With IM = intellimouse
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Configuring XFree problems - Basics ok but...ARGH Reply with quote

Supermule wrote:
then run "xfree86config" , following the docs
The proper method for configuring X starting with the 4.x series, is to use XFree86 -configure rather than the old-style xf86config shell script.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermule wrote:

My mouse problem was solved by switching from "Intellimouse" to "IMPS/2"....Again seems like an error, cause I have a genuine Intellimouse :=)

The "Intellimouse" protocol is for serial intellimice ;). ( Serial: You know, the weird port you used to plug your modem into, back in the days...)

PS/2 mice always have "PS2" affixed to their protocol. Also, almost all PS/2 wheel mice work with IMPS2. THere is also an EXPS2 protocol for the "Intellimouse EXPlorer".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: