Request for comments: GBEFB vs SGIFBVW
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkn0th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Request for comments: GBEFB vs SGIFBVW Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm in the process of getting Gentoo 2006.1 working under an SGI Visual Workstation 320. I'm running into a couple of serious usability issues, including this one: sgivwfb is the historical framebuffer driver for this arch, and with kernel 2.6.12.3 under slackware 9.1 and XFree86 4.3 it works fine, all the colors appear normal. However under Xorg 7.0 (using a portage tree from 15th September 2006), all modes a part from 8bit show wrong colors (15bit, 16 bit and 24bit ( 32bit doesn't work at all, when it does in Win2K). Additionally under 24bit, the display uses 2/3 of the screen and switches to black and white. The refresh rates are really low too ( 60Hz on average, despite whatever I may enter in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ). This is the first time I've used fbdev and I hoping it would be less complicated but anyway.

So then I noticed from 2.6.15 onwards the appearance of GBEFB, ported over from the MIPS arch and which should work with the x86 Visual Workstations, as they appear to share the same Cobalt chip. However, when I try to boot a GBEFB kernel, after the arclx2.exe loads the kernel cleanly, the screen freezes and the keyboard leds flash. The kernel appears to crash further on as X never comes up nor is there any trace in logs.

So my question is, what settings in PROM are 02 owners using to boot with framebuffer (I'm aware of the 4Meg memory limit)? Have any SGI VWS 320 owners managed to boot in GBEFB ? I've scoured google but apart from kernel dev messages, I've found nothing. Hopefully someone will have some idea on what to do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: