Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't get fdisk to see my disk correctly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tunnelrat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Can't get fdisk to see my disk correctly Reply with quote

:?:

Got a question - I boot up fine, even printed out the instructions from the site - I keep getting the same error when in fdisk; it sees my 2nd hard drive as having all BSD partitions (they aren't, they're ext2fs partitions). When I try to change anything, I'm kicked out of fdisk with "segmentation fault." I'd really like to try this distro, but I'm about ready to give up and buy Mandrake or some darned thing (currently running Vector Linux, quite nice if vanilla)...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm that seems very weird.

can you delete all the partitions on the 2nd drive, and leave it blank for gentoo to partition ? use win2k or partition magic or another linux distro.

the segmentation fault is bizarre..

are you booting from 1.2 or 1.1a? or i686 stage 3 built disk ?

what's your hardware?

hope we can get it sorted out.. gentoo rox
jouzts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never able to get Gentoo or SuSE 8.0 to deal with an old Samsung ~10G, although SuSE 7.3 installed fine. fdisk acted as though it could not recognize the disk even when reformated several different ways with the older SuSE fdisk.

John
Mr_Ust

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: fdisk problem Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem installing Gentoo. My primary drive is currently set to have two partitions, but fdisk doesn't recognize it. I get an error message saying that there are 16 partitions and the maximum allowed is 8. Most of them are showing up as BSD. When I try to erase one, fdisk Seg faults.

I was running Slackware 8.0 prior to this, and fdisk was giving me the same type of problem. Using cfdisk fixed it up, but cfdisk is not included with the base Gentoo install. :(

Does anyone else have any idea what could be causing this?

To the original poster: What kind of hard drive do you have? I'm using a 30gig Maxtor 7200rpm.
Mr_Ust2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Up and running Reply with quote

Just wanted to give anyone who's interested an update. I was able to use the fdisk version I had lying around on an old Slackware 4.0 cd to partition my drives properly.

Looks like it could be a bug that has crept into fdisk since that release.

Someone *else* should follow up on this ;)

I'm up and running with a base install...

System:
Athlon 1333
Maxtor 30gig 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 7200 VIVO 64MB DDR
SBLive Value
KT133 chipset
etc... etc...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: