Finding Packages to Install with Portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroTux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Finding Packages to Install with Portage Reply with quote

Hi,

How do you find packages by name to then install via emerge??? e.g. If I weanted to find GIMP, then find the actual package name I'd need to supply to get it installed, how can I do this from inside of Gentoo using BASH??

Best regards,
AstroTux.
Registered Linux User #404385
Viva Andromeda! 8)
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: esearch Reply with quote

The easiest way I know how is with the search functionalities provided with emerge. However, these are pretty slow. A good search utility is "esearch". Just do `emerge esearch` and then run `eupdatedb` as root. After that, you can just run `esearch [keyword]` and it will search for all packages containing [keyword] in the name.
Sedrik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try searching for it
Code:
emerge -s gimp

This will search and list all packages that include gimp in thier names

If you know what kind of package you need you can try to do a description search
Code:
emerge --searchdesc donald duck

This would list packages that has to do with donald duck (not that many I believe)

Read the manual for emerge for more detailed information.
Code:
man emerge

I hope that helped =)
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to look into eix, which is much faster than emerge -s.

The only thing to remember then is to use eix-sync rather than emerge --sync.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

You can also try the tools on portage-utils. Try using qsearch.
People usually forget that any package on the Portage tree is nothing more than an .ebuild file under /usr/portage. If you want to find a package on Portage, just take a look there! :) This is a good way to find new packages of a category! :wink:

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
AstroTux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quick responses! :D

Thanks!! I hadn't thought of just looking under /usr/portage! Useful tip!

Just a quick question: If X server is not installed, and I emerged kde-base (for example), will it check the dependencies automatically and install X as well?

A related point: once I've compiled code for my machine, is there any way I can create a binary file of the compiled code so I don't have to re-compile it all again if I wished to re-install? I find that when I'm investigating a new OS (I intend to make Gentoo my main OS) that I re-install it several times and just play around generally getting to know the system (sometimes breaking it in the process :oops: ).

Thanks!! :D

Best regards,
AstroTux. 8)
Viva Andromeda! 8)
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroTux wrote:

Just a quick question: If X server is not installed, and I emerged kde-base (for example), will it check the dependencies automatically and install X as well?

A related point: once I've compiled code for my machine, is there any way I can create a binary file of the compiled code so I don't have to re-compile it all again if I wished to re-install?

Well, we use Portage to take care of dependencies, so if you try to install KDE without having installed X, emerge will install X. Just to be clear, it will install X, but won't configure it. In Gentoo to have something like X working, one must first install it and then configure it.
You can create a binary copy of an installed package with quickpkg. To install it, you need to use the -k option with emerge. If I understand you question correctly, there's only one caveat. This will work for a specific package and will take your USE and CFLAGS. It's useful if you have many similar systems and only want to compile the package once. It won't be very useful if you reinstall your system 6 months later as it's likely that emerge will want to merge a more recent package.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
AstroTux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is it possible to re-use the binary package without emerge wanting to get the latest version? I know in a production environment that would be pointless as you wouldn't benefit from updates etc., but for the purposes of testing/experimenting with the system, would this be difficult to do?

Best regards,
AstroTux.
Viva Andromeda! 8)
Sedrik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroTux wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to re-use the binary package without emerge wanting to get the latest version? I know in a production environment that would be pointless as you wouldn't benefit from updates etc., but for the purposes of testing/experimenting with the system, would this be difficult to do?

Best regards,
AstroTux.

Well you can always save the distfile and ebuild and have emerge recompile that ebuild. But why would want to do that I don't know ^^

distfiles are placed under /usr/portage/distfiles and ebuilds are somewhere under /usr/portage depending on which package it is.
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroTux wrote:
I know in a production environment that would be pointless as you wouldn't benefit from updates etc., but for the purposes of testing/experimenting with the system, would this be difficult to do?

You could also use tar to backup your whole system (well, except boot sector, but with current world and /etc) *before* attempting to break it.

FF,

Daniel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: