[SOLVED]: Unrecognized command
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]: Unrecognized command Reply with quote

Hi, ALL,
I recently switched the profile from 2005.0 to 2006.0.
I tried to upgrade to gcc-3.4.x from 3.3.x, but without any success. It merged some 13 or 14 packets downgrading them (including the glibc one), but I got "Internal compiler error" on the gcc merge.
WhenI tried to re-boot the machine, during this process, I got following error:

Code:

/etc/host.conf: line 24: 'mdns off' unrecognized command

I am sure it is not related to the "internal compiler error" message, but I am just wondering what is this command do, and can I turn it off (comment out).

Thank you.

P.S.: If anybody have a list of the packages that was downgraded when I run "emerge -uav gcc" for the first time, it will be great!!! :)

Last edited by ONEEYEMAN on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:59 am; edited 2 times in total
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update sys-apps/baselayout run etc-update and report back.

As for a list of downgraded packages, you should have it, look for emerge.log in /var/log.

Are you sure that the packages were downgraded, as opposed to an older version in a different slot?
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:

Are you sure that the packages were downgraded, as opposed to an older version in a different slot?

Thank you for the fast reply, but...
What do you mean by that?

Thank you.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
desultory wrote:

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
What do you mean by that?

Firstly, I apologize for how this post might read. I am just trying to provide enough information to answer your question without my knowing quite how much you know of Gentoo and its package management system, consider this an overview.

Slots are (the surface of) how portage, the package management system used by Gentoo, allows for multiple versions of the same package to be installed at the same time on the same system. When a package is emerged it occupies a slot, usually the default slot though individual packages can specify which slot they are to be installed in. If that slot is already occupied the newly installed package replaces the already installed package, elsewise the new package is installed and its slot is now occupied (by it).

A Confabulated Example:
  • Consider Foo and Bar.
  • Having Foo-3.0 already installed, package Bar-2.0 is installed.
  • Package Bar-2.0 specifically depends on Foo-2.x, so the lastest available Foo-2.x is installed at the request of Bar-2.0.
  • Because of the use slots to diferentiate the major versions of Foo, Foo-2.5 can be emerged alongside Foo-3.0 as Foo-2.5 occupies the Foo 2 slot and Foo 3.0 occupies the Foo 3 slot.
  • Now Foo-2.5 and Foo-3.0 are both available for use on the same system.
  • Lacking seperate slots Foo-3.0 would have been removed to allow Foo-2.5 to be installed.

A Concrete Example:
In this post, chosen at random, dStulle posts the output of emerge --info on a system being diagnosed with some (at the moment irrelevant) problem.
An excerpt from that post follows:
dStulle wrote:
Quote:
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2

That line indicates that all of those versions of automake are available simultaneously on that system. Note however that the versions of automake need not have been installed in any given order.

Hopefully that provides enough of an overview to show basically what slots do. If you wish to ponder the power of slots, consider KDE and the fact that you can install many different versions of KDE (even ones which use different versions of Qt, the underlying widget toolkit) on the same system and use whichever you want at any given time.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:

Update sys-apps/baselayout run etc-update and report back.

Thank you for this lecture. Now I understand your responce.
However, when I upgraded to 2006.0, no one told me I should upgrade baselayout.
And when I received the message to upgrade, after doing "emerge --sync", it didn't say it.

Is it some kind of basic procedure?

Thank you.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, the basic procedure was my recognizing a problem I recalled seeing previously and passing on the solution to the previous instance. If that failed to work then it would become a matter of finding new reasons for the same symptons. Which neatly segues into a question, did it work?

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
Thank you for this lecture.

So that post did end up a little too Captain Uptight? I should probably have just posted a link into the handbook, I neglected to check the handbook for the information before posting.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to run "etc-update, but at the end, it asked if I want to finish update the configuration files or overwrite the configuration files.
I choosed to overwrite the configuration files. And I think I now have a new configuration files.

This should be fine, right?

Thank you.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to redo any tweaking, that you want to keep, that was done to the configuration files, aside from that it should be fine.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

For anyone concerned with the mdns=off error, you can take a look [url=https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-436372.html]here[/i] and check the bug report.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: