Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
User Representative Elections
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you like most to be a user representative?
_AxS_
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
AllenJB
0%
 0%  [ 3 ]
Anarcho
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
ASIO_BOB
1%
 1%  [ 7 ]
cheater1034
5%
 5%  [ 28 ]
CoffeeBuzz
6%
 6%  [ 30 ]
cokehabit
13%
 13%  [ 65 ]
djay
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
DrChandra
1%
 1%  [ 7 ]
InfoManiac
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
kopp
11%
 11%  [ 54 ]
likewhoa
3%
 3%  [ 17 ]
loki99
3%
 3%  [ 19 ]
lxnay
6%
 6%  [ 33 ]
Monkeh
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
nephros
6%
 6%  [ 30 ]
nxsty
6%
 6%  [ 29 ]
orick
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
pablo_supertux
1%
 1%  [ 7 ]
padde
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
Q-collective
6%
 6%  [ 30 ]
Richard Fish
4%
 4%  [ 23 ]
sluggo
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
STiGMaTa_ch
2%
 2%  [ 13 ]
taskara
2%
 2%  [ 14 ]
Tiger683
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
tophisher
0%
 0%  [ 3 ]
toskala
3%
 3%  [ 15 ]
XenoTerraCide
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 477

Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
In other words, we're all in agreement that the elections were a farce, and that they were such a dismal failure that this election paradigm will be abandoned for the future.

At least I totally agree with that strongly.
Bob P wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, and the the problem is that I'm still missing the point. I still don't understand the nature of the job and what good its really supposed to do for Gentoo. Could it be that the silent majority didn't bother to vote because they don't understand it either? Or is it just that nobody really cares?

I still miss the point, thats why I say I hope this involves any duty. In fact I know developers very well to think they will even care about the userrep opinion.
christel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
Bob P wrote:
The bottom line is that the lack of participation in the elections has created a rather embarassing situation for Gentoo. It should be evident to everyone that the Gentoo user base as a whole doesn't really care about the role of the User Representatives. I think its wishful thinking to believe that people will be knocking each other over to run in elections next year.

Why do you have such a negative attitude to this project? - Whether people will be more willing to participate next year, will definately depend on how well this project develops in the next twelve months. I think, it is a grand idea and hopefully it will improve the information flow in either direction.

My understanding of my role as userrep has nothing to do with being a buffer or an added layer of bureaucracy between users and developers. On the contrary, I see my role in helping to improve the communication between the two of them. Most users don't have the time to read through mailinglists or to hang out in IRC channels to catch the lastest news and developments in the dev community, some might not know who they should approach with certain issues they have and some users have expressed the feeling that their ideas for improvement are not being heard by the devs. The userreps should try to help those, who would like to get more involved but are having troubles doing so. We are not here to take anything away from you. If you have no problems communicating your stuff, fine! We won't bother you.

On the other hand, some of the devs might not have the time to read the forums regulary or to chat a lot with average users on a daily bases. If they want to know something about average joe, we could help them to get the information they are looking for.

Bob P wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, and the the problem is that I'm still missing the point. I still don't understand the nature of the job and what good its really supposed to do for Gentoo. Could it be that the silent majority didn't bother to vote because they don't understand it either?

You are right, the job describtion wasn't that detailed and the uncertainty of the role was one of the reasons for the low participation, but I see this as a challenge to develop this job into something, that will be useful so people will care more about it next year.

I believe loki said it very well. It is about improving communication and information flow, it's about seeking feedback and listening to users. When users came to us suggesting that we try out something like this, we were at first, rather reluctant, after discussing it for some time we did however, decide to give it a go. Gentoo thrives on being a community based distro, and when users wanted this we had to listen. Sure, the test run may prove interesting but it should give us a good basis for improving on the role and searching feedback.

And the nature of the role is quite simple, to provide user feedback, come with suggestions, listen to other users, come with suggestions and ideas. It's uh, to continue being a user, and to give us a users perspective and input on some of the means we currently use for communication and information.

The role of course, is pretty flexible and can be extended as needed should it prove to be beneficial to both camps in any other way.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki, i don't have any negative attitude toward the User Rep project. i've just never understood how my participation was supposed to benefit the community, so i wasn't willing to commit myself to performing a job that i did not understand. since you seem to understand it, i'm happy that you've accepted the job and i wish you and the other volunteers the best of luck.

otoh, yes i am disappointed in the mechanics of how the elections were conducted and the rather dismal turnout for the elections. i guess you could say that i have a negative attitude about the elections if you want to, but i hope that you can appreciate that the User Rep project and the procedure of the election remain two distinctly different issues, and that my opinion about each of them need not necessarily be the same.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
loki, i don't have any negative attitude toward the User Rep project. i've just never understood how my participation was supposed to benefit the community, so i wasn't willing to commit myself to performing a job that i did not understand. since you seem to understand it, i'm happy that you've accepted the job and i wish you and the other volunteers the best of luck.

otoh, yes i am disappointed in the mechanics of how the elections were conducted and the rather dismal turnout for the elections. i guess you could say that i have a negative attitude about the elections if you want to, but i hope that you can appreciate that the User Rep project and the procedure of the election remain two distinctly different issues, and that my opinion about each of them need not necessarily be the same.

Are you implying that if you did understand 'how your participation [would] benefit the community', would you have volunteered? You were nominated. Do you now feel like you missed an opportunity?
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

447 votes is sad... 97097 users registered to the forums according to member list... not enough publicity?
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Are you implying that if you did understand 'how your participation [would] benefit the community', would you have volunteered? You were nominated.

Yep thats what I understand he means by that he said.

I was expecting Bob_P to be in there since I nominated him you can see it in my userrel post. I would have voted for him but he did not accept. :( Anyways maybe sometime this will be done the right way. And more importantly this catastrophe of elections will not happen again. :wink:
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo Userrel team is happy to announce the 11 User Representatives:
    cheater1034
    kopp
    CoffeeBuzz
    nephros
    Richard Fish
    loki99
    Q-collective
    lxnay
    toskala
    cokehabit
    likewhoa

They can be contacted by messaging them on the forums (for those that have accounts), finding them on IRC (#gentoo-userrel and #gentoo-userreps) or by emailing userreps@gentoo.org
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! *jump* My candidate Won! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats to all that made it. :)
I wish you a lot of fun.
:mrgreen:
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, i didn't win. Well, neither did kallamej. ;)

Congrats to the new team, let's hope the project does some good!
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least cheater1034, lxnay and loki99 are there, now I feel confident. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: