Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
want to test it out, but need some help with something
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metotalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: want to test it out, but need some help with something Reply with quote

I am all ready running gentoo right now, and I really like it. But I am wantting to test out a few things, on a new install, but I do not want to damage what I all ready have running. I have heared that you can install to a difrent partion, and then boot from that partion, but I can not find any kind of documentaion on how to do some thing like this. if some one could help me out, or point me to some howto or somthing/anything that could help out it would be vary help full.

Thank you
metotalk at altavista dot net
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to test? There may be a way to try it without installing Gentoo again.
metotalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: I am wantting to test alot Reply with quote

the system that I have now it xfs system, and syslog-ng, and vcron. I am wanting to try an ext3, with the meta logger, can dcron. doing the install again is not that big of a deal, I have it on a fast system, so the time it takes is not all that long.

Thank you
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well XFS -> ext3 would take some juggling, but you can install metalog and dcron alongside syslog-ng and vcron. Just rc-update add the first two, rc-update del the second two, and reboot. (Or run "/etc/init.d/vcron stop; /etc/init.d/dcron start" and so forth.)

Also, I highly recommend ReiserFS. I have seen great speed increases over ext3 in many situations.
metotalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

I thought that ReiserFS was unstable? and how does it compare to xfs if it is stable?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had any problems with ReiserFS under heavy load on a number of boxen -- and performance is better under ReiserFS for most operations than under XFS. You might want to try it out. :D
ckwall
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: I know this doesnt relate to the thread, but.... Reply with quote

I know this is off topic a little bit, but isnt there also a way to run in instance of gentoo, within gentoo? So if you wanted to try something out, (I dont know what) but you can start a session of Linux, inside of the one you are currently running?

If I am off track, sorry. I thought I had read something like that. Maybe I completely mis-understood.
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: I know this doesnt relate to the thread, but.... Reply with quote

ckwall wrote:
I know this is off topic a little bit, but isnt there also a way to run in instance of gentoo, within gentoo? So if you wanted to try something out, (I dont know what) but you can start a session of Linux, inside of the one you are currently running?

If I am off track, sorry. I thought I had read something like that. Maybe I completely mis-understood.

yeah, check out here.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider VMWare -- I've used it extensively and find it to be an excellent, robust, stable product. It's commercial, so it costs money, though there is a free 30-day trial version. There's also a similar, vmware-like product called bochs (pronounced box). It's still in the early stages and I've never used it myself, but it looks like a promising project.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: