Recommendations wanted
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0cket-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Recommendations wanted Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on my CP1500-based UltraSparc system (link: http://www.marathon-int.com/sparc.product.compact.PCI.html), which is basically a Netra t1, give or take a few features.

I'm installing across the network, using the 1.4rc_1 stage 1 and the tftpboot.img netboot images from Debian.

Anyway, I think I've just about got things tweaked in the make.conf to where the bootstrap will complete. My first attempt, using the default settings from the install doc, failed (I'm not sure how--I hypertermed into it after 8 hours of bootstrapping to find it sitting at 'ok'), and the second attempt, using settings gathered from various success stories on this forum, failed as well, but only because I apparently didn't give a large enough partition to / (I partitioned for swap, /, /boot, and /home only) and it ran out of space. I was monitoring it up until that point, and it went for a good 4 hours before running out of space, so I *think* I have the proper make.conf settings...

I'm using:
USE="sparc64 (among others)"
ARCH="sparc64"
PLATFORM=sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu
CHOST="sparc-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=ultrasparc -mtune=ultrasparc"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=ultrasparc -mtune=ultrasparc"

This seems to be what's specified in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26128, which deals specifically with an install on a Netra T1, which is virtually identical to the machine I have.

Anyway, like I said, it seems to be working thus far, but I haven't completed the install and will be making another run at it sometime tomorrow, so... any suggestions there? I realize -mtune=ultrasparc is redundant, but I'm gonna leave it in there anyway :P Also, I was under the impression that certain settings would force Gentoo to try making a 64-bit userland, which (last I heard), was a bad thing? Now, I thought the option for that was ARCH="sparc64" (vs. ARCH="sparc"), but then if that were the case the above settings wouldn't work, so...

What option forces a 64-bit userland, and is this still a bad thing?

Also, once I get the system bootstrapped and look at building a kernel, what would you all recommend as far as patches go? And, finally, though this probably should have been asked first, how well do non-ext2 filesystems work on Sparc boxes? I've read that XFS is a bad idea, and, to a lesser extent, resierfs as well, but how about ext3?
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was under the impression that certain settings would force Gentoo to try making a 64-bit userland, which (last I heard), was a bad thing? Now, I thought the option for that was ARCH="sparc64" (vs. ARCH="sparc"), but then if that were the case the above settings wouldn't work, so...

I thought I put ARCH=sparch64 in the docs, nothing in my docs will force 64-bit userland, it is not yet supported. I am able to compile src into 64-bit (with gcc as cross-compiler, binutils generating 64-bit bins and a 64-bit glibc), I could get both dyn and static bins, but I still have problem to get 32 and 64 dynamic linker to work happily together.

64 bit userland has only advantages when you use a lot big numbers (bigger then 2^32) or you need more then 4GB of memory per process, otherwise it is slower then 32-bit counterparts on sparcs.

As for the fs, I am using ext2 for /boot (silo can't boot reiserfs) and the rest resirfs

xming
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: