DVD-RAM +UDF = Kernel Problem?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deranonyme
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: DVD-RAM +UDF = Kernel Problem? Reply with quote

Hi

I tested DVD-RAM under linux with UDF filesystem. I used kernel up to 2.6.16-r13. Every write access brings the CPU-load up to 6 and the writespeed slows down with greater files nerly zero. With other filesystems the writespeed does not slow down, and the load goes not so high. I think its a kernel kernel bug with udf. But udf is not testing. I use Panasonic DVD-RAM with LG writer. How can i get a working udf filesystem support for dvd-ram?

Frank
Nuteater
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same kind on behaviour on my LG GSA-4613B, and I've even started a thread about
it at some point. If I remember correctly, google gave a few links to similar stories on the same
drive, so it might very well be a kernel bug as you say. Dare we approach the kernel wizards? :)
deranonyme
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think i have a temporary solution for the problem. If i mount the DVD-RAM with -o sync,dirsync i can use the drive very well. It shows like a cache problem for UDF. There i found the solution http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5893 It also shows how an old problem, but nobody likes to work for a better solution.

By Frank
calle2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deranonyme wrote:
Hi

I think i have a temporary solution for the problem. If i mount the DVD-RAM with -o sync,dirsync i can use the drive very well. It shows like a cache problem for UDF. There i found the solution http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5893 It also shows how an old problem, but nobody likes to work for a better solution.

By Frank
If you can reproduce it with a recent kernel you should file a bug on Gentoo's bugzilla and refer to this upstream bug.

Regards,
Christian.
Nuteater
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calle2003 wrote:
If you can reproduce it with a recent kernel you should file a bug on Gentoo's bugzilla and refer to this upstream bug.

I can reproduce this with 2.6.17-gentoo-r3, and it has been around at least since 2.6.8. Also,
the workaround only fixes the high system load, not the slow writing speed (it seems to get
a bit better, though).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: