l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course plug and play can work in gentoo
it just needs a lot of work and you'll end up with ubuntu basically
TimSSC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had decided to go with kubuntu, instead of gentoo, so I installed it, but couldn't find any of the settings, and there were problems getting it to look like the gentoo machine, and it was so slow I realized I was going to have to try Xubuntu. So, when I realized I had to reinstall it, I decided to give gentoo another try. I got the system setup in a few hours, and started it emerging kde. even using distcc, the emerge still took me about 3 days, but now it's done, and it is really incredible how much faster it is then kubuntu. So basically, I'm gonna stick with gentoo.
AdmiralNemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you honestly think performance is an issue? I mean really, they are coming from Windows! Ubuntu is a good choice, however you would have to show them how to use the package manager and stuff. I used ArkLinux when I first started linux, it seemed to be okay for me. I haven't even looked at it in a long time though, so it might have changed.

I don't see any real way for a windows user seamlessly transport to linux. Its just not possible. They are DIFFERENT operating systems. But that's just my 2 cents (0.0156850443€)
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimSSC wrote:
I had decided to go with kubuntu, instead of gentoo, so I installed it, but couldn't find any of the settings, and there were problems getting it to look like the gentoo machine, and it was so slow I realized I was going to have to try Xubuntu.

:lol: I remember, when I first tried Ubuntu, hunting throught the menus to find a way of starting a terminal. I'm glad you went for gentoo. As I said before, if you can get everything sorted before you leave, then it could work very well.
AdmiralNemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't expect them to update world! I don't think I have ever done a world update where I haven't had to fix something for it.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdmiralNemo wrote:
Just don't expect them to update world! I don't think I have ever done a world update where I haven't had to fix something for it.

Agreed. And revolving package replacements (like, right now I got two versions of gstreamer that overlap each other, and every emerge -DuN world calls one to replace the otherl, depending on which is installed at the time).
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
TimSSC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdmiralNemo wrote:

I don't plan on giving any of them the root password. No good could come from that (Dad: Now what was the command to copy my photo's into the public photo directory? Oh yeah: rm -R /home/peter/* .... ). If they need something done, they can call me, and I'll ssh in and fix it for them. As for updates, I plan on coming home a few times a year, I'll just do it all then.
AdmiralNemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimSSC wrote:
As for updates, I plan on coming home a few times a year, I'll just do it all then.

When my dad first started using Gentoo, he didn't know to update world. I explained to him this process, and after three weeks, he had over 200 packages to compile. If you do it a few times a year, you should have plenty of work to do :P
TimSSC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I kept putting off updating my main system, when I finally got around it, I just did an
Code:
emerge -vauND world
... it was hectic, because it tried to update to modular x.org. But I think in the case of updating my families computers, it will be better becauseI will have already figured it all out on my own computer. They are deffiently people who want stuff to work, and will be frustrated if I break there systems. On the other hand, they are always complaining about the computers, so hopefully they will like linux better. I mean, if I was using windows on older hardware, I'd complain too. Actually, if I was using windows I would complain.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend setting up a cron job to backup their profiles silently, though. That way, if they do happen to somehow fubar their home directory, you can restore it very simply.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: