HFS+ in Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnymalm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: HFS+ in Linux Reply with quote

So what does everyone think is the best way to work with files on your hfs+ macos partition. I have installed hfsplus utils and they work well for viewing and copying files. Basically what I want to be able to do is listen to all my mp3s, which are on my macos partition, while I am running linux. I also installed kio_mac but this does not seem to work with KDE 3.01. Anyone got any ideas?
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's currently no real good solution for HFS+ on powerpc. There is a read only kernel module at sourceforge somewhere, but it is verrrrry slooooooowww so probably not best buited for MP3's

Gerk
karasu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to do it is to create a standard HFS partition and use that for all your cross OS data files, blah blah blah.

And its not really one of the better solutions that I've found. For mp3's I've found a little scavenging for an old PII or Celeron, a NIC, and a decent HD (~$90US for a 20 GB) and just rig up a network file server/mp3 streaming server. The usefulness of a dedicated fileserver is tremendous.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hfsplus/

Thats the link to the kernel patch. Very slow.
jonnymalm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the hfsplus kernel module and yes it is really slow, too slow to really do anything except for list the files.

I thought about creating an hfs partition for this, but I read somewhere that this can make macos unstable. Is that at all true? Has anyone else had this experience?

Eitherway, I think a fileserver is the way to go.
karasu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the PPC Install guide http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentooppc-quickstart.xml the author mentions that he thinks having a lot of partitions can increase the frequency of MacOS X crashes.

Personally, I use MacOS 9 as the 'other OS' and its only there for emergencies when I need MacOS instead of linux so I haven't used it lots, but I haven't had any crash problems with an extra HFS partition -- though it isn't very big and I don't use it, its only to copy documents between the two when necessary so I can't really say that it works great on my system.

But, If its something you're going to need, you should probably go ahead and do a shared HFS partition.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: