access denied untarring stage 3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptnemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: access denied untarring stage 3 Reply with quote

Untarring stage 3 from the 2006.0 x86-64 cd gives me access denied errors. I booted off the install disk, and I am root. I am untarring onto an existing reiserfs 3.6 partition, containing the skeleton of a previous mandrake installation, with all the packages removed. From the command line I cann't seem to create directories in /mnt/gentoo/etc or change the permissions of /mnt/gentoo/etc. Permissions of /mnt/gentoo are 1777. The partition has been reiserfsked, and contains no errors. 23 gb are free on this partition. I can create and chmod files in /mnt/gentoo. I cannot format and install cleanly because my other partitions cannot hold the backup files. (~ 100 gb)
morodoch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1777 means that only the user who owns the files in a directory can remove them - try chmodding the directory to 755.

This'll be safer in the long run, as your users won't be able to create files in the root directory once you're in gentoo.

HTH

-- Curtis
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are installing over a previous mandrake install, why don't you throw a fresh file system on the partition?

also remember the 'p' option in the untaring of the stage tarball (as in tar -xvjpf stage3....)
cptnemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morodoch wrote:
1777 means that only the user who owns the files in a directory can remove them - try chmodding the directory to 755.

This'll be safer in the long run, as your users won't be able to create files in the root directory once you're in gentoo.

HTH

Didn't work

[quote=Schickapoo800]
fresh file system
[/quote]
I have personal files on this partition and don't have room for backups.

What I have done since my last post is boot with the remaining mandrake install and untar the stage 3 tarball from there, I got things set up and rebooted.
Now I cannot login as root or as my user. In both cases it says "login incorrect" after I enter the username. Both passwords have been set, and the passwd and group files looked ok to me before I rebooted. I set the domain name before rebooting as shown in the documentation, but the login screen reads "This is myhostname.(none)". The usb keyboard drivers also appear to be either not working or not loaded.
morodoch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty weird. 1777 is definitely a bad mode for / though.

This may be a dumb question, but are you sure you chroot'd before setting the password? If in doubt, reboot off the livecd, chroot, and set the password again.

-- Curtis
J3N7iL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you mounted your /dev/hda3 to your /mnt/gentoo ?
Is your fstab setup correctly
cptnemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fstab has hda2 mounted to / and hdb5 mounted to /usr, like I had with the previous install. By the time I set the password I was booting off of the hard drive anyway, and the problem isn't that it rejects the password, it rejects the username before I have a chance to enter the password.
cptnemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the live CD has the same problem with file permissions that the install cd did, but the problem was that the pam libs in /lib/security didn't get replaced so I copied them into a new directory in /mnt/gentoo then rebooted with an old mandrake install cd in rescue mode and copied them into the proper location. For some reason only gentoo cds have the permissions problem. Root can now login, and I have internet access, but my user password is rejected.
cptnemo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the login was that /lib wasn't a symlink to /lib64. I fixed this, and it works more or less. I have a feeling that an emerge system will fix most of the remaining issues.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: