Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dispa<tab>
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand why anyone would want anything besides etc-update. It's simple.

First, it shows you the files that are protected and have possible updates and you choose them numerically. Next, it shows you what is being changed and asks you what to do.

The End

Was it really that hard?

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
Wispy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: etc-update was the only thing I know before reading this Reply with quote

Do it and do it without bugs. That's all I want. :)
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't understand why anyone would want anything besides etc-update. It's simple.

Well yes. And you need a lot of time to handle through it. At least I do. And I type most of the time 1-watchdiff-q-1-y
I am too lazy for it so I think cfg-update, helps me in beeing lazy. So I cant understand why someone would do senseless extra work if he can save it ;)
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serval cups of coffee, one scup per cup startbucks french roast, and etc-update. I did try useing kdiff3 instead of diff but that was over kill.
ArsDangor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally tried cfg-update. And my conclusion is it rocks. It's so easy. It handles all files I didn't touch, and only asks me when it is really needed. I had very hard times with etc-update when there were 30+ files (I once had over 200) to update, and I had modified only a few of them.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArsDangor wrote:
I finally tried cfg-update. And my conclusion is it rocks. It's so easy. It handles all files I didn't touch, and only asks me when it is really needed. I had very hard times with etc-update when there were 30+ files (I once had over 200) to update, and I had modified only a few of them.

Welcome to the dark side :twisted:
instance
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<bias>ConfigPatch!</bias>

My update procedure is:

etc-update
run ConfigPatch script

ConfigPatch takes my configuration changes, applies them "intelligently", and away I go. Then again, that's why I wrote it ;)

Of course, the tool is still early in development. It needs to support more configuration file formats; it could benefit from a tool that extracted patches by comparing default and production config files; and a GUI that allows visual inspection of a configuration would be really cool. Some of that's in the works, but it's always a matter of time to spend on it versus the day job.
Guenther Brunthaler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I have used dispatch-conf ever since, but cfg-update... Reply with quote

Quote:
Let me ask you this: [b]How many times have you actually reverted to older (than the previous version) settings?

Never!

At least not completely.

But I already did use the RCS feature in order to recover partial settings from historical config files.

For instance, sometimes it may be useful to inspect the default settings at the time the a configuration was first installed.

Or one may notice only after a while, that in more recent configurations some aspects of an application only work suboptimally, and thus would like to partially revert to older settings.

But "older" does not necessarily mean "penultimate version".

Often one only recalls: "Well, it did work as indended two weeks ago." But in meantime 5 updates of the config file may have occurred.

Agreed, very often only a specific option setting is of interest; it is rather unusual to revert a complete config file to some historic state.

But without some means of versioning this historic information is simply not available; even if only a part of the historic config file is of interest.

Quote:
Keeping a backup of the previous version of the configfile has always been good enough for me personally.

For most of the time, yes. But as outlined above, there are situations when older versions are also of interest.

Furthermore, RCS-support is only an optional feature of dispatch-conf. If one thinks it will be of no advantage to him, there is no obligation to enable it.

Quote:
Quote:
To put it shortly: All changes are version-controlled; no information is lost at all!
To me this sounds like overkill...

If we spoke of truly sophisticated revision control systems like SVN or SVK, I would be tempted to agree.

But RCS? It's so darn simple: No repositories, no configuration files - just a single ,v file for each revision-controlled config file. That's it. It would be rather decent overkill...

Quote:
It makes the whole updating thing unnecessary complicated.

There is little more to do than executing a
Code:
ci -l filename
for each version controlled file. Of course, even the least additional effort is more complicated than avoiding it.

But I really doubt that adding RCS support for some existing text files can become a hard job to do.

Quote:
But someone needs to convince me that implementing version control isn't overkill :D

See it the other way: You would not have to implement it - that was done by the authors of RCS already. You only would have to integrate it into your app, which will effectively be reduced to a single shell command.

Just peek into the dispatch-conf sources in order to see how they do it. You don't have to reinvent the wheel either!
xentric
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I have used dispatch-conf ever since, but cfg-update... Reply with quote

Guenther Brunthaler wrote:
See it the other way: You would not have to implement it - that was done by the authors of RCS already. You only would have to integrate it into your app, which will effectively be reduced to a single shell command.
Just peek into the dispatch-conf sources in order to see how they do it. You don't have to reinvent the wheel either!

If it's that simple I don't see a problem. I'll see what I can do the next couple of weeks. I'm taking two weeks off at the end of the month so I'll have some time to play with RCS then :)
Registered Linux User #340626
Gooserider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, North America, USA, MA, North Billerica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, this has been an incredibly educational thread, though it probably wasn't intended that way! :o

I started using gentoo a few months ago, and have been using etc-update all that time, and thinking it really sucked! It was clunky, hard to understand what was being changed, and usually wanted me to look at stuff that didn't really matter. (IOW that I hadn't changed...)

This thread has shown me some alternatives that look like they might be better. Dispatch-conf sounds like it might easily be better but Xentric's cfg-update sounds like it should really do the job nicely. I certainly hope it is as good as he says now that I've spent a bunch of time getting it downloaded and set up :lol:

Right now I can't tell, as all of my cfg files are up to date according to both etc-update and cfg-update. Maybe next time I update the world I'll have some cfg's that changed so I can find out (BTW, Can I package mask George Bush, Hesbollah and all the other terrorists?? :P)

Even if it doesn't turn out to be as good as I hope, I also got the pointer to changing diff to colordiff, which might make etc-update or dispatch-conf more tolerable.

Last Xentric's instructions had a pointer to this thread on How to use Portage correctly that let me actually get my head around the whole idea of package.keywords|.mask|.unmask|.use, mixing stable and testing, etc. IMHO it is far easier to follow than the 'Official' documentation (although the official doc has a few more features mentioned in it) and really helped me alot. Is there a way I can suggest that the documentation authors merge GaMMa's explanation into the official doc?

I just wanted to thank everyone that participated in this for the learning experience.

Gooserider
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both etc-update and cfg-update but neither really "felt" right for some reason. Of the two, I felt surprisingly more comfortable with etc-update, but on a recommendation from beandog, i'm going to check out dispatch-conf.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
etc-update. It is all there was when I started using Gentoo, and to be honest, I have never tried dispatch-conf.
+1
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to cfg-update. :D
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
Moved to cfg-update. :D

++
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stay with cfg-update as well :)

swimmer
trupoet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do etc-update and look thru the list to see if there are any configs I've changed, look at each of those and decide whether to keep new or delete new and then any others I dont care about, I just -5 it.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trupoet wrote:
I usually do etc-update and look thru the list to see if there are any configs I've changed, look at each of those and decide whether to keep new or delete new and then any others I dont care about, I just -5 it.

Great way to break your system
trupoet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
trupoet wrote:

example?
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trupoet wrote:
Q-collective wrote:
trupoet wrote:
example?
with a hammer?
STEDevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
RazielFMX wrote:
I'm a noob and I swear by etc-update. What is this cfg-update you speak of?

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=cfg-update

And discussion here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=86622

Basically it makes backups of config files and can automatically merge changes you have made into the updated files.

Ive always used etc-update and while I think its not an optimal tool the few times Ive tired dispatc-conf it left me with a "yuk!" feeling making me stick with etc-update. But reading about cfg-update Im currently emerging it. Especially the following got me exited
Quote:

The cfg-update script will check if a file, you are about to update, has been modified by you
after it was installed. If it hasn't been modified by you it means that it can be automatically
replaced with the new version of that particular configuration file. But if the file has
been modified by you, it will check if it can do an automatic 3-way merge.

If it works as advertized, my vote is for making it the new default tool in gentoo.for config file updates :)
So, hopefully, we wont need any more polls about which one of etc-update n dispatch-conf soft sucks the most ;)
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to used etc-update, switch to dispatch-conf, and liking it better. But i've never used cfg-update... Going to have to give it a try.
Allix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: make -jn +1 Reply with quote

Ive read from the gentoo docs that for a uniprocessor , make -j2 is reccommended.
for a dual core , make -j3 is recommend.
The rule being, make -jn, n should be the number of CPUs + 1.

If i was to do make -j3 on a uniprocessor or make -j10 on a uniproccessor would it just mean more jobs are being compiled at once, but each job compiled alot slower?

I just wondered why the recommendation..

oops, why did i post here??

could someone put it in a new thread?

thanks
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allix, create a new one and remove this post yourself by clicking the "delete this post" (the x in the right corner of your post) :wink:
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: