/etc/env.d/02locale
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nufantu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: /etc/env.d/02locale Reply with quote

i came across kde-i18n when setting up an as-most-as-possible-german-desktop-gentoo, so i thought about also having manpages (@console) and everything else what is possible in german, found & followed http://www.gentoo.org/doc/de/guide-localization.xml.

Code:
ls /etc/env.d/
00basic     03opengl    05portage.envd  10libx11            45kdepaths-3.5  50glib2    50qtdir3         70less            99libstdc++  gcc
01hostname  05binutils  08nspr          10xkeyboard-config  45qt3           50gtk2     60gstreamer-0.8  99gentoolkit-env  99splash
02distcc    05gcc       08nss           15openmotif-2.2     50gconf         50ncurses  60prelink        99kde-env         binutils

02 is taken by distcc, now ... "touch 0xlocale"? edit it an it works? I have LINGUAS="de" in make.conf and emerged app-i18n/man-pages-de-0.4, nothing else, yet.

I've searched the forum alot... found something about nls. Do i need it in kernel, or to recompile some packages with this useflag? I hope someone has a "Howto make gentoo talk in your native language" or something like that, i'm really stuck at this point in the guide and searching in the forum is kinda confusing ("utf-8" hum okay, "i have locale=*language*" ok, how?, etc)... never cared about this until now.
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, there are multiple 01s, so just add 02locale, edit it as needed, and go with that - it'll work perfectly. The numbers are used to define the general order, not an *exact* order that things will run in.

Oh, and having the nls USE flag is a good idea (should just have to add it to USE in make.conf, and emerge -uavDN world). Other than that, I can just suggest you follow those UTF-8 guides... They're quite good, for almost any locale, in my opinion.
Nufantu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh right :oops:, man pages work now, thanks :D.

About nls, if i haven't used the flag i have to reemerge packages which use it?

An example
Code:
Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
portage has no nls, only
Code:
LINGUAS="-pl"
no de, so it'll always be english or polish for now? The guide says "gettext" programs use LINGUAS, everything else nls as long as supported so i have to look for this flags to get more native language tools when emerging?

Whats the difference. Lingua=package-language nls=kernel-implied (maybe i'm horrible wrong here but something about nls was in the kernel config)?

love the forum :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: