Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drivers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should X 7.1 still be testing only because of closed source drivers (ati/nvidia)?
Yes!
55%
 55%  [ 254 ]
No!
37%
 37%  [ 172 ]
I don't care!
6%
 6%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 454

vmboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, please listen to yourselves talk! It is painfully obvious that some of you have forgotten why you chose to use gentoo in the first place. I agree that 7.1 should still be ~x86/~amd64 because it causes the least amount of trouble for the most amount of people. However, it really doesn't matter because gentoo gives you the flexibility to package.keywords/mask/unmask/use to your hearts content. No other distro gives you such granular and flexible control. Quit complaining and be greatful that you have such a wonderful distro to work with.

On the subject of proprietary drivers, well, until something better comes along, there is not much choice. I don't think the gentoo team should be criticized for providing technically superior closed-source packages. Yes, it bends the "gentoo philosophy" in terms of being closed, but it also supports the "gentoo philosophy" by providing what is currently the best solution. I think most of the nvidia/ati users in the gentoo community are glad that these packages are available. Strict 100% adherence to any philosophy can sometimes breed unwanted fanaticism.

While it is frustrating to wait for vendors to release proprietary driver updates, it is also fruitless to worry about things you can't control. Below is a block of pseudo-code to help the undecided decide what to do:
Code:
IF I can't live with any speck of closed source
    switch to OpenBSD
    exit somewhat unhappy

IF I require features provided by xorg-x11 7.1
    IF I require features provided by proprietary video drivers
        wait until proprietary updates are available
        exit very unhappy
    ELSE
        add ~x86 keword for xorg-x11 7.1
        use the open source video driver
        exit somewhat happy

IF I require the stability of xorg-x11 6.8.2
    mask xorg-x11 greater than or equal to 6.9
    use video driver of your choice
    exit happy
ELSE
    do nothing (xorg-x11 7.0)
    use video driver of your choice
    exit happy

BTW, I'm not poking fun at OpenBSD. It is an excellent OS. I use it for perimeter firewalls and squid-cache proxies.

Have a nice day.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference, indeed. But including such packages in a GPL'ed package set like Gentoo is equivalent to preparing the roots for such a discussion.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spielc wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

I was referring to the current situation were ati/nvidia drivers block xserver. You don't *need* the drivers to have X running.

LOL what do you suggest should ppl like me with ATI X1x00 cards do? the open-source drivers don't have support for them... Should we be FORCED to use vesa? that'S ridicilious

I NEED those ati-drivers to have a X with decent performance

Rubbish, X works fine without 3D acceleration. If you want to play games, just mask Xorg 7.1.
Simple as that.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
There is a difference, indeed. But including such packages in a GPL'ed package set like Gentoo is equivalent to preparing the roots for such a discussion.

The difference is that a typical closed sourced packages is not crucial for system operation, and thus not against the Gentoo Social Contract. While the Ati/Nvidia drivers are also not crucial, they do prevent getting Xorg 7.1 into stable, which is against the Gentoo Social Contract as quoted earlier on.

Now, someone pointed out another big plus of Gentoo: the ability to choose. The two philosophies don't conflict though, since you can choose to mask Xorg 7.1 at any time.

Any questions?
skyPhyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm - this is a tough one. While I am running the binary drivers with xorg 7.1 already (yeah - I have the text glitches, but it's generally only in kdm and firefox) I voted no.

The issue is that by allowing it to hold things back you leave many users oblivious to the issues because things continue to just work for them. I would say that even most linux users don't get freedom (yeah call me a hypocrit because I'm using closed source drivers). More people having to package.mask means more people understanding the need for free software. If being closed source was such an advantage then we'd see a greater disparity in the quality of video cards provided by manufacturers. They should be providing linux support on linux's terms.

I'm going to get flamed to death for this, but the point is it's easy to spout freedom, but all of you seem to be backing down when it costs you something (even if that cost is as small as adding a few lines to package.mask). At least unmasking (assuming it would be unmasked otherwise) would demonstrate that gentoo truly values freedom (including freedom of choice).

Anyway - just my two cents.

Cheers,

Alan.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:

Rubbish, X works fine without 3D acceleration. If you want to play games, just mask Xorg 7.1.
Simple as that.

So, how do you set up two monitors using nv-driver? It's not just 3d that requires propiertary drivers...
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
spielc wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

I was referring to the current situation were ati/nvidia drivers block xserver. You don't *need* the drivers to have X running.

LOL what do you suggest should ppl like me with ATI X1x00 cards do? the open-source drivers don't have support for them... Should we be FORCED to use vesa? that'S ridicilious

I NEED those ati-drivers to have a X with decent performance

Simple as that.

Some of us aren't using the drivers for 3d support, but for multimonitor support, which is a huge productivity factor for lots of people.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence the second sentence.
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective: You know what I do within gentoo I suppose, so saying that people can mask something so that 7.1 can go stable is entirely NOT a option. This would far and away break the point of having a stable system. If there is no stable binary driver for people who would use it...with the stable xorg..you just broke everyones machine. Just because a program works, does not mean that it SHOULD go stable.

As a example..would you want to drive a car where the automaker changed how brakes work..but the people who makes the pads haven't updated to this new style. What happens if the automaker still releases it as a new product knowing that something is quite likely to not perform as it should? They'd get their ass sued to kingdom come by everyone who bought the car.

So basically, xorg-7.1 will stay as it it as far as I'm concerned until we have propietary drivers that work with the new api.

Please also note I fought against xorg-7 going ~x86 when there were 1000 packages broken with it. I'm sure people would of loved working through that set of issues as well.
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
Hence the second sentence.

Then the package isn't really stable (go read the keywording document), since it can't work with other stable packages (blocking it is a hack and not a real fix). Its actually quite a shame that xorg 7.1 is out of package.mask to begin with. ~arch shouldn't be a playground for stuff that is known to break other packages, but people always need to have the latest packages because its oh so important. Like it or not, closed source drivers are in the tree, and should be supported.

If people are just going to keep knowingly breaking user's systems that use these drivers, they should be removed from the tree, or the developers should be removed for their behaviour. It seems that a lot are in favor of the first option though, since they don't see a problem with unmasking something that will knowingly break someone's system, or cause huge amounts of blockers with no real way to resolve (unemerging the driver is *NOT* an option). Incase anyone cares, if they do get removed from the tree, I'll gladly start supporting nvidia's drivers from an overlay since I require Twinview to use my system.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunam wrote:
Please also note I fought against xorg-7 going ~x86 when there were 1000 packages broken with it. I'm sure people would of loved working through that set of issues as well.

This is an entirely different issue though as it is part of normal bug testing. Whereas the reasoning against it not going intostable seems to be completely based upon the view that the closed sourced drivers are broken.
I can see your point, but lets then edit the Social Contract to include this kind of stuff.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halcy0n wrote:
Then the package isn't really stable (go read the keywording document), since it can't work with other stable packages (blocking it is a hack and not a real fix). Its actually quite a shame that xorg 7.1 is out of package.mask to begin with. ~arch shouldn't be a playground for stuff that is known to break other packages,

Yes, I agree with this. And in any case, given all the fuss over the stabilisation of xorg7, I really think it'd be a mistake to cause extra hassle for people just trying to keep something as fundamental as X running.
Halcy0n wrote:
Incase anyone cares, if they do get removed from the tree, I'll gladly start supporting nvidia's drivers from an overlay since I require Twinview to use my system.

I care! That would be much appreciated Halcy0n---thank you. Are devs seriously advocating removal from the tree? That just seems like a mistake to me...
Halcy0n
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at240 wrote:
Halcy0n wrote:
Incase anyone cares, if they do get removed from the tree, I'll gladly start supporting nvidia's drivers from an overlay since I require Twinview to use my system.

I care! That would be much appreciated Halcy0n---thank you. Are devs seriously advocating removal from the tree? That just seems like a mistake to me...

I don't know if they are advocating it, but people don't seem to have a real problem with breaking ~x86 systems, so I can't see why they should keep them around if they are going to continue to break them.
PaulSorensen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Religous wars Reply with quote

I know that certain high-flyers in the open source world are outspoken against closed-source software, but if Gentoo (and other open-source platform) focus only on them then they will never become "main-stream".

I certainly believe that the advantages of open source software outweigh the disadvantages - and that software will move in this direction over time. But until then we're living in a world where there is a mix, and the two biggest video card manufacturers believe that there is an advantage to them in having closed source drivers. Most Gentoo users choose to use them over the open source drivers and Gentoo shouldn't be in the business of punishing them for it.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Religous wars Reply with quote

PaulSorensen wrote:
I know that certain high-flyers in the open source world are outspoken against closed-source software, but if Gentoo (and other open-source platform) focus only on them then they will never become "main-stream".
With all due respect, Paul, I don't feel that going mainstream is one of Gentoo's driving goals. :wink:
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Religous wars Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
PaulSorensen wrote:
With all due respect, Paul, I don't feel that going mainstream is one of Gentoo's driving goals. :wink:

That's funny, because Fedora and Ubuntu oughta qualify as mainstream, and neither of them package or support binary drivers.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Religous wars Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:

That's funny, because Fedora and Ubuntu oughta qualify as mainstream, and neither of them package or support binary drivers.
Fedora doesn't package the drivers in any official manner (as it is against its strict policy of delivering and supporting only F/OSS), though Livna's repository contains the installable RPMs for it. Note however, that the instant you install these things, your system is entirely and completely unsupported and you keep the pieces if something breaks (as is said).
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Religous wars Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
dberkholz wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:

Fedora doesn't package the drivers in any official manner (as it is against its strict policy of delivering and supporting only F/OSS), though Livna's repository contains the installable RPMs for it. Note however, that the instant you install these things, your system is entirely and completely unsupported and you keep the pieces if something breaks (as is said).

Imho, this is the only right approach with this kind of software.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Religous wars Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
I'm glad that gentoo isn't such a pain in the ass about binary drivers as most other distributions. It is one of the reasons I like Gentoo so much.
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Religous wars Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
Q-collective wrote:
I'm glad that gentoo isn't such a pain in the ass about binary drivers as most other distributions. It is one of the reasons I like Gentoo so much.

Just my thoughts exactly. The current approach is good. No need for change. X.org 7.1 can remain in testing for all I care. I can wait for the nvidia drivers.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with the current approach if portage would get the feature to have masking being dependant on your USE flags.
So, if you use the floss drivers, your xorg is unmasked.
If Nvidia releases their fixed drivers next week and you use them, your xorg gets unmasked, no need to wait for Ati.

In the current situation, everyone has to wait untill Ati finally releases their fixed drivers (6 months from now? Xorg 7.2 is out by then!)

But this would require a serious change of portage, which is not going to happen.

Last edited by Q-collective on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you feel if there was a Gentoo-hosted set of overlays, and you had to add one of them using a Gentoo-supported tool to use binary drivers?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
How would you feel if there was a Gentoo-hosted set of overlays, and you had to add one of them using a Gentoo-supported tool to use binary drivers?

Sounds like a nice workaround, imho.
thechris
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what, they're disuading the installation of a package because it will probably break your system and yet allowing you to upgrade anywayif you really want to? next they'll be holding back gcc or python just because an upgrade could affect portage! how dare them not put a clearly stable package into the stable arch just because it will break other packages!
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechris wrote:
what, they're disuading the installation of a package because it will probably break your system and yet allowing you to upgrade anywayif you really want to? next they'll be holding back gcc or python just because an upgrade could affect portage! how dare them not put a clearly stable package into the stable arch just because it will break other packages!

Yeah, you completely missed the point.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: