Getting/Building/Modding Myself A Cheap Server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Getting/Building/Modding Myself A Cheap Server Reply with quote

I am currently short of cash, and in need of a server (to act as a web server) and do not currently have the hardware to build myself one, or a lot of money. So, I would be very interested to know of any cheap ways of getting the hardware required for a Linux server, I currently am thinking about getting myself an old Xbox on the cheap and then putting Linux on it. However, it only has 64Mb of RAM and some of the newer modles are meant to be a pain to get Linux on.

Does anyone else have any ideas about how I can get the hardware for a server on the cheap, I am looking at around 700Mhz with a 128Mb of RAM (but have a load lying around and so am not bothered) and the same goes for hard disks. Also how much (GBP) would I expect to have to pay for such a server?

Thanks for all of your help on this strange question.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting/Building/Modding Myself A Cheap Server Reply with quote

Evilguru wrote:
I am currently short of cash, and in need of a server (to act as a web server) and do not currently have the hardware to build myself one, or a lot of money. So, I would be very interested to know of any cheap ways of getting the hardware required for a Linux server, I currently am thinking about getting myself an old Xbox on the cheap and then putting Linux on it. However, it only has 64Mb of RAM and some of the newer modles are meant to be a pain to get Linux on.

Does anyone else have any ideas about how I can get the hardware for a server on the cheap, I am looking at around 700Mhz with a 128Mb of RAM (but have a load lying around and so am not bothered) and the same goes for hard disks. Also how much (GBP) would I expect to have to pay for such a server?

You can get some 800MHz Pentium3 real server for 50$ with SCSI and friends.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTW has a sticky thread with people providing hosting for almost free (I think, free in some cases). There's no point hosting it yourself.
Evilguru
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getting/Building/Modding Myself A Cheap Server Reply with quote

antik wrote:
Evilguru wrote:

I would be very interested in where I could acquire one of these, as they seem right up my street.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Getting/Building/Modding Myself A Cheap Server Reply with quote

Evilguru wrote:
I currently am thinking about getting myself an old Xbox on the cheap and then putting Linux on it. However, it only has 64Mb of RAM and some of the newer modles are meant to be a pain to get Linux on.

The RAM is an issue, but they're not hard to get linux on, at all. There are many ways you can do it, from leaving most of the stock software there, to flashing the TSOP, to a modchip. No xbox is immune to all of them ;) A second hand one is likely to be a 1.2-1.4, easy as pie to mod.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Getting/Building/Modding Myself A Cheap Server Reply with quote

Evilguru wrote:
antik wrote:

I would be very interested in where I could acquire one of these, as they seem right up my street.

Look at your nearest recycling centre.
jamiethehutt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting/Building/Modding Myself A Cheap Server Reply with quote

Evilguru wrote:
Quote:

Ebay can do some good deals on old hardware as well.
"Someday, he thought, it'll be mandatory that we all sell the McDonald's hamburger as well as buy it; we'll sell it back and forth to each other forever from our living rooms. That way we won't even have to go outside." - A Scanner Darkly By PK Dick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: