Windows wants to chown my computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clintpatty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Windows wants to chown my computer Reply with quote

I recently purchased 2 pretty nice used 20GB IDE hard drives for FreeBSD. The FreeBSD thing hasn't been working out yet when I've tried it, but they're nice to put other OSs on too, as 40GB is room for plenty of OSs. I want to update the firmware on my dvd drive, and doing so the Linux way isn't working for me. I don't want to try updating firmware with dosbox. I figured I'd install Windows on one of the 2 'new' drives for this.

At first I tried Windows 2000. It saw my 280GB XFS partition but only saw a 131GB disk due to LBA. It wanted to install itself on this drive by formatting it. Windows was pretty sure that this was C: and that I shouldn't select E: on another disk. I rebooted and messed with fdisk and got Windows 2000 to select the partition I wanted. It did not want to format that partition. I tried Windows 98SE, and it decided that there are non-Windows partitions in your machine, and that is a bad thing. Everything should be a Windows partition, so we're going to format. I have a newer version, but I don't really want to try the copy of Vista that I have. It's probably best that I didn't install it, because now I won't be subject to the electromagnetic brainwashing waves through the CRT by Microsoft. I guess I could try DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download a DOS floppy, mount it loopback, add the firmaware and writer, then if you don't have a floppy emulate one with a CD-ROM. That's how I updated my DVD+/-RW firmware.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Download a DOS floppy, mount it loopback, add the firmaware and writer, then if you don't have a floppy emulate one with a CD-ROM. That's how I updated my DVD+/-RW firmware.

++

bad thing is that some of the newer firmware flashing programs are actually windows-only and not even dos anymore :/ anyway, for the dos floppy try http://www.bootdisk.com/

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull out all drives except for the one you want windows on. that way it will force it to think that the drive installed is the only drive and mark it as c:. then when you put the other drive back in, do the grub hacks to boot windows. that should work.
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sh.nu/image

Problem Solved.

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
clintpatty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:
http://sh.nu/image
Problem Solved.

That seemed like a pretty cool link. Then it didn't boot. I'll try the CD-emulated DOS floppy next. If I was going to pull the drives out, I'd just put it in my mom's comp with a well behaved Windows installation already present.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: