Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Your code of ethics/morals?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 312

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Your code of ethics/morals? Reply with quote

What is your code of ethics and/or morals?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
po0f
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what's right. Anybody that does otherwise is wrong.

Currently in the process of reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Some interesting stuff in there so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 242
Location: Ramsey, MN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right/wrong - I don't do what I believe is truly wrong. Basic rights are important.
_________________
last.fm
SFH, because it's awesome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freelight
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 12 Jun 2004
Posts: 295
Location: NYC, NY, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do as the Dread Lord Lucifer commands, with excessive cruelty whenever possible.

Or, if you were looking for a serious response, treat others the way they deserve to be treated, and strive for freedom in all things.
_________________
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" --Thomas Jefferson

"Let the gremlins eat your soul... it's invigorating." --LD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru


Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 434

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently read Catcher in the Rye. About three weeks before that I had huge breakup with my ex of about three years...The very last line in that book seems to make sense in life

Quote:
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.


Think about it, take it to heart...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell-Razor wrote:
I currently read Catcher in the Rye. About three weeks before that I had huge breakup with my ex of about three years...The very last line in that book seems to make sense in life

Quote:
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.


Think about it, take it to heart...


:cry:

you ok d00d?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm ever in a moral dillemma, I post a poll on OTW.

OTW will show you the way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tabanus
Guru
Guru


Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Posts: 583
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Be excellent to each other"
_________________
Never underestimate a hamster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scientific method, the only way to consistently get verifiable answers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetblack
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Posts: 340
Location: Evanston, IL, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, bad - I'm the guy with the gun.

Actually I'm not, but that's a pretty cool code of ethics. Right now I'm a bit closer to "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we eat, drink and be merry again."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashnikes
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: silly me to think.... Reply with quote

its interesting to wonder what your ethics would be if you had grown up in another country under another form of government. Where the rules to get ahead didn’t exist, where stealing was accepted as long as it kept you alive, where murder and rape were tolerated, where the abuse of women was as common as the abuse of a dog or a pig. Where children were allowed to run wild in the streets, and gangs ruled the countries in a mob-like facade. Where coca-cola was the communities only source of work, where grown men fight like cocks in alleyways over 5 cents a day labor, and more then half the newborns die of starvation, if not instantly form malnutrition from their bloated bellied mommies.
What kind of morals exist without the internet, or t.v. or cell phones, or magazines.
what kind of world exists far away form anything we have ever experienced, anything we have ever seen?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: silly me to think.... Reply with quote

ashnikes wrote:
its interesting to wonder what your ethics would be if you had grown up in another country under another form of government. Where the rules to get ahead didn’t exist, where stealing was accepted as long as it kept you alive, where murder and rape were tolerated, where the abuse of women was as common as the abuse of a dog or a pig. Where children were allowed to run wild in the streets, and gangs ruled the countries in a mob-like facade. Where coca-cola was the communities only source of work, where grown men fight like cocks in alleyways over 5 cents a day labor, and more then half the newborns die of starvation, if not instantly form malnutrition from their bloated bellied mommies.
What kind of morals exist without the internet, or t.v. or cell phones, or magazines.
what kind of world exists far away form anything we have ever experienced, anything we have ever seen?


Most general social guidelines like don't kill are naturally evolving for good and completely rational reasons - if you kill members of your herd your genetic materiale is less likely to be passed on - for the same reason alturism is a natural occurance, giving your life to save the rest of the herd ensures that more of your genetic materiale is passed on. Don't assume for a second that goverment is the main influence on basic morals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Apr 2003
Posts: 312

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any utilitarians amoung us?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I follow the example of Jesus.
As is stated in the New Testament: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

menelmacar wrote:
As is stated in the New Testament: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

I thought that was stated in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan...
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
menelmacar wrote:
As is stated in the New Testament: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

I thought that was stated in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan...

Yeah, whatevvver :lol:
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

menelmacar wrote:
I follow the example of Jesus.
As is stated in the New Testament: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.


Excellent.. so I assume you hate your family?

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters-yes even his on life -he cannot be my disciple."
- Luke 14:26 (NIV)

In fact you might want to consider some violence against the people who gave you life

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."
- Matthew 10:34-36 (NASB)

Jesus even offers handy hints on how to get weaponery

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
- Luke 22:36 (KJV)

Looking as Jesus' previous suggestions I might assume I will be seeing "Naked man murders family on the command of Jesus" on CNN?

You cheerypick, I cherrypick :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashnikes
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, but what if you kill of those who are the weakest, such as those with diseases, or poor genes such as amputees?
i never said governemnt was responsible for morals,
government takes it upon itself to dictate those morals it finds apeasing to maintain its survival, but can manipulate those same morals in the name of the people such as stealing property, or killing those it feels are a hazard through a death penalty system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
Quote:
...

Yeah, whatevvver
Hint: refer to dmitchell's post above.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashnikes wrote:
ah, but what if you kill of those who are the weakest, such as those with diseases, or poor genes such as amputees?
i never said governemnt was responsible for morals,
government takes it upon itself to dictate those morals it finds apeasing to maintain its survival, but can manipulate those same morals in the name of the people such as stealing property, or killing those it feels are a hazard through a death penalty system.


Be it as it may, natural selection generally ensures that the weakest amongst us die off - we just got better at setting the bar. If that is a good thing or not is up for debate but there is absolutely no reason to start killing off people when we can just stop them from reproducing (people do it all the time of their own free will - I e.g. will never reproduce because I carry a genetic ailment, completely of my own free will).

Governments serve the people as such it will pass laws that conform to the concensus, if the consensus says that stealing is okay then fine - however that would go against the norms that have evolved naturally in every society (I dare you to actually point out a society that resemble the Great Old Ones returning to Earth scenerio you put out as your straw man).

If there was an evolutionary advantage as a whole in say.. raping babies then we would do it without shame, however there is none so it is a fringe activity for a select few mishaps. Remember, the non-random selection of randomly varying replicators being the basis of evolution - randomness ensures that we do try out that path from time to time, so far it has been selected against.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

menelmacar wrote:
playfool wrote:
Quote:
...

Yeah, whatevvver
Hint: refer to dmitchell's post above.


So I take it you do not believe these are actual biblical quotes, doings and sayings of the son of our Lord?

There is nothing wrong with being a good person, just be a good you, not a good emulation of what you believe a book tells you to - my point was that reading the exact same text which you base your morals on, the same character even, you can justify just about any action by the process of cherrypicking. I did exactly what most christians do, I picked what I liked to represent my point of view - it's what you like that matters and how you really live your life. A crazed murderer could say exactly the same as you did, modelling his life after Jesus and be able to back it up.

*note: I in no way actually encourage people to kill, murder, rape and any of the other rather heartless actions depicted in the bible - it was merely an example

In the interest of fairness I bring you some peaceful Jesus sayings:

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."
- Luke 2:14 (KJV)

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you."
- John 14:27 (KJV)

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace."
- John 16:33 (KJV)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xglad
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Aug 2002
Posts: 53
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just blindy follow the purported words of the sheperds, fishermen, and criminals of two millenia ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
playfool
l33t
l33t


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 688
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xglad wrote:
I just blindy follow the purported words of the sheperds, fishermen, and criminals of two millenia ago.


Thanks I needed that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xglad
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Aug 2002
Posts: 53
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
xglad wrote:
I just blindy follow the purported words of the sheperds, fishermen, and criminals of two millenia ago.


Thanks I needed that

:D
I figured. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to reason with.. ... some types. Nice work above.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xglad wrote:
There is nothing more frustrating than trying to reason with.. ... some types. Nice work above.

Nice work indeed, you really helped that guy out by shitting all over his beliefs -- I notice you didn't challenge anyone else's comments.

Edit: Nevermind -- I've changed my mind about debating the point.
_________________
Your argument is invalid.


Last edited by dmitchell on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum