View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.Smith
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sync and also update world once a day. I like to keep my system up-to-date.
tane_stelzer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days sync once a day, just have nth to do and i just have a problem with having the newest stable stuff on my box :lol:
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gentoo Home Router syncs once per day at 1:30am courtesy of cron. It has an Rsync server running and my other three Gentoo machines sync off of that at 2:30am.

I too love updates. :)

- John
neocon101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cron job that emerge --sync's every day at 3:50 am.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 wrote:
No one should have to sync more than once a week and even then that is too many syncs for the average user.

With syncing everyday, I have about 5-10 updates a day. If I sync once a week, I will be swarmed with updates. Not to mention that it is easier tracking down a bug when you install a smaller number of software before the problems start.

I usually sync once a day. I sometimes don't sync for a few days because I can be a lazy procrastinator at times. :)
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When I need to."

That can be maybe twice a day (once to watch it go slowly, ctrl-c, get a faster server in the rotation; okay, so maybe that's a little evil there...). If a package is giving me the pains, perhaps it's time to sync up. If the source file was long taken off the mirrors, definitely time to sync. If I need a really new version of something I'm using, time to sync (but check online first to make sure it's in portage). If this is my first time using the computer in a few months, emerge --sync, emerge -uNDpv world|less, deal with various blockers, emerge -uND world, etc-update, emerge --depclean -p, emerge --depclean, revdep-rebuild. I don't sync otherwise, and it averages to maybe once a month depending on how actively I'm using that computer.
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

FF = Final Fantasy.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omp wrote:
<3 wrote:
No one should have to sync more than once a week and even then that is too many syncs for the average user.

With syncing everyday, I have about 5-10 updates a day. If I sync once a week, I will be swarmed with updates. Not to mention that it is easier tracking down a bug when you install a smaller number of software before the problems start.

I usually sync once a day. I sometimes don't sync for a few days because I can be a lazy procrastinator at times. :)

Whats wrong with doing updates once a month? Surely you don't need *sarcasm on* latest and greatest packages *sarcasm off* every day. Installing updates is a such a waste of time. if it works, why fix it?
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Marty Neal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: sync on new emerges and max once a day Reply with quote

I find that then I am going to be installing new software, or hardware especially, I'll sync up before I do any of it (this tends to be about once every two weeks) and my system seems to be happy most the time. I'm not a huge update freak, but would instead consider myself the average gentoo user, if there is such a thing
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Whats wrong with doing updates once a month? Surely you don't need *sarcasm on* latest and greatest packages *sarcasm off* every day. Installing updates is a such a waste of time. if it works, why fix it?

For exactly the reason omp said: syncing once a day only gives about 10 updates, syncing once a month is a nightmare which Gentoo can not handle very well in my experience.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why fix what isn't broken."
With that idealogy we'd be back in the stone age.

I'm typically a bored person, and one of the activities I do is sync when I'm bored. Of course I do limit it to once a day.

~amd64 gets me usually ten updates a night.. It's quite fun.
One of my hobbies is fixing problems, and ~amd64 and syncing once a day gives me a chance to stretch my ability. :lol:
Aries-Belgium
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I useally sync and update every weekend. But when I read there was an update of one of my favorite applications, I sync and update instantly.
krolden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sync every day at 06.00 (cron job)
clintpatty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Installing updates is a such a waste of time. if it works, why fix it?

Yep. If there's an improvement or new feature that is needed or useful, that's different. Both versions work, but one works more. I don't care about updating for the sake of updating, though. In itself it is something to screw around with, and when new versions have bugs or weird interactions with other programs, it's something else to screw around with. I'd rather just have my computer work. I like Linux because it works more often, and when it doesn't there's usually a specific reason and sometimes I can figure it out. This was not the case with Windows.
kraut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sync dayly (cronjob).

i usually just update the kernel, KDE, and things glsa-check complains about (security risks!!).
if you do not sync dayly, you will not notice if some applications might be vulnerable. think about this, you monthly syncers :lol:
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
petrjanda wrote:

For exactly the reason omp said: syncing once a day only gives about 10 updates, syncing once a month is a nightmare which Gentoo can not handle very well in my experience.

Now let me think, whats wrong with updating only packages that need updating? It's not like you need to install all updates anyway. I don't see the point of having to install package foo when the same package is already installed on my computer and does what i need perfectly. Imo, updates are necessary only when you are looking for a new specific functionality the old version doesn't provide, if there are dependencies then portage will handle them.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introvert wrote:
"Why fix what isn't broken."
With that idealogy we'd be back in the stone age.

Dead wrong, we are talking from a users perspective. Surely developers will improve their programs, but that doesn't mean that user's need to get the package right away when they dont actually need it. Why dont you find your self another hobby instead of watching emerge doing another make?
kraut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:

Now let me think, whats wrong with updating only packages that need updating?

nothing wrong with that, but i fear you are mistakeing the oposters question. 8O
he didnt ask how often you update packages, or system, or world.. he asked how often you sync! this is just an "emerge --sync", right? :D
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Now let me think, whats wrong with updating only packages that need updating? It's not like you need to install all updates anyway. I don't see the point of having to install package foo when the same package is already installed on my computer and does what i need perfectly. Imo, updates are necessary only when you are looking for a new specific functionality the old version doesn't provide, if there are dependencies then portage will handle them.

Well, I don't know, ever heard about security?
Napalm Llama
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once every two days. I've thought about setting up a cron job to do it automatically, but I love doing it myself too much...

It's like Christmas - "Ooh, what new packages am I going to get today?". And it's usually boring stuff, but occasionally there's something cool like a new nvidia release, or a new kernel - or even an update to KDE (3.5.2 coming off ~arch caught me completely off guard - made my day!)

I do an "emerge -DuavtN world" directly afterwards, but if I see a toolchain update I wait until just before I go to bed before setting off a full system rebuild (emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -e world).
Registered Linux User #381314
# killall humans
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sync quite randomly. Once a weak, maybe once every 2 weeks, could go even month if I'm being lazy. Depends when ever I happen to remember/bother to sync. There's rarely any important new packages anyway, and those that I consider as important I look from Package Database and if there's a new version I want, I do sync && emerge -uDNav world then. I never sync more than once a day though, except if I happen to notice some important package being added to portage after I already synced that day, which has happened... never.
jerkface
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sync every hour on the hour. You can never be too careful. :wink:
kraut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerkface wrote:

that is a waist of bandwith to the portage rsync mirrors, and you will probably not be around 24h/day at your machine anyway either :twisted:
stupidkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerkface wrote:

Don't you get banned if you sync too often?
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
petrjanda wrote:

Well, I don't know, ever heard about security?

Ive never heard of people getting their pc compromised by having foo package not up to date, but Ive heard of people getting hacked because they were ignoring their distro's security advisories. Besides people dont get hacked by not having tar, cdrtools, xorg, gui and 95% of other installed packages up to date.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Besides people dont get hacked by not having tar, cdrtools, xorg, gui and 95% of other installed packages up to date.

Says who?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: