Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyblord wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
how is your coding? Or setting up of services?
Setting up of services? what do you mean? like setting up phpbb and stuff? pffffffft... piece of cake
what about CMS?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
cwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyblord wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
how is your coding? Or setting up of services?

since I'm currently "ascertaining the art of grey-hatting", I'm still working on C. but I am familiar with web languages.

Setting up of services? what do you mean? like setting up phpbb and stuff? pffffffft... piece of cake

Why would anyone want setting up another forum for FOOD? Don't we all use forums.gentoo.org? :P

cokehabit wrote:
what about CMS?

IMHO a CMS would be total overkill, and pretty much un-appropriate for the task. good, custom php+mysql would be better for the relatively focused and custom task, and pure CSS and AJAX would be a perfect presentation framework.

I could probably help somewhat with the coding of a php+mysql+css-based database. (But don't expect any _good_ code ...)

Should the DB contain a general purpose "offers" block of text, or rather specialized offer-topics?
Search and perhaps some AJAX in the presentation of the DB would be rather nice, as would be some integration with forums.gentoo.org (if only aestethicals like "link to profile on forums", "contact-> PM on forums"). Integrating with the forums.gentoo.org would keep the project somewhat bound to Gentoo, and assure those who register an entry in the DB are "seen" (any hope for auto-polling number of posts from the forums.gentoo.org when someone creates an entry?).

Anti-SPAM would also have to be integrated with the webform for submitting information.

Authors of the information should be able to edit that info easily any time, but security about editing should be "good enough".

/me thinks the data should be somewhat abstracted, as of "the semantic web" ideals.

Then, we shold decide on who's going to host this service.

Project Manager: cokehabit
Hoster: ??
Lead Coder: ??
Lead Designer: ??
Lead Editor: ?? (that is, moderate the entries in the DB, remove or edit entries that aren't as they should be)

Then, what could I offer?
*No free webhost, Im afraid (allready does this for a maximum of people, perhaps later with greater cap.)
*Gmail invites (as if they aren't already abundant on the web)
*Entry-level hardware-support and hardware-advice.
*English<-->Norwegian translations
*Bed&Breakfast for any fellow GNU/FOSS/Gentoo'er in Mandal, Vest-Agder, Norway who's in dire need of it.
*Help moderate the DB.
*Occacionally guide people through a Stage3-install on x86/x86_64 through IRC/MSN/email/ssh+screen.
(Well, it ain't much ... perhaps I'll find something really usefull I could provide if I really put my mind to the task)
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about setting up one of these sites soley for the Gentoo Handbook and Documentation? I understand why having it on the gentoo.org site is important, and I am not sure about what size constraints you have, but having a seperate site for live help, documentation, and maybe some other things might be better on B/W. Just my $.02. When I get my Poweredge upgraded and running w/ Gentoo, I will set it up as a server w/ a No-IP and host clients on a small basis. I'm still working on my first Gentoo home box since I have been married.

- Josh

Edited: Maybe I can be persuaded to put up a blog server or free DB server. ;)
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mana has brilliantly given space to us. And because the talks may be long and hard as to the nature of the coding, the people involved and security, we are creating a forum to thrash the details out. karma

The main thing we need to chat about is the format. It is not going to be very good if it just looks like a spreadsheet is it? So we all need to put in a design or two.

What I would like to see is a user page for each person saying their name, details (also maybe a pic), what they have offered, what help has been accepted, what help they would like and comments from others saying how they have helped them.

mana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me update you with the current state of piece of cake, ehm sorry i mean the forum ;)

I decided to go for Viscacha (GPL board secure and as many features as phpBB). Playing arround with it i recognized that there is no language support but German. argh! Currently i finished 80% of the translation into English, so we can use this promising board, that does not seem to force you to do security updates on a weekly basis like phpBB somtimes does ;) ... Well i hope you understand my thikheadness, i will do as fast as i can. We will of course need some further administration and moderation, volunteers will surely get thier chance :) ... i think the extra time that i need to finish the translation tasks (about 2 days) could be used to discuss the forum structure here, if it is neccessary. What do you think?

yours sincerely
Mana
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take as much time as you need, i'm just putting some finishing touches on a page to suggest as a user page

TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Take as much time as you need, i'm just putting some finishing touches on a page to suggest as a user page

It will take some time to purchase to upgraded 1.4 Ghz Tulatin Procs, 2 GB mem and the 36GB SCSI U/W 160 drives.

EDIT: If the stuff tends to be too much of a load on Mana's setup, my offer always stands.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some things to do with the Gentoo UK conference at the minute but we should all meet up on the new forums after saturday. It will be good to hear ideas, see previews and generally get the feel of everything. There are a few definates but there are lots of "ifs"

mana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys :)

well,forum is kind of translated :P and ready for usage: http://food.seposition.net/forum
Get registered, whoever wants. Moderators/Administrators will be assigned later. And please tell me if you find any german strings that may have survived in the frontend (i allready know about the smilie descriptions .. but honestly i don't care)

TheWhiteKnight wrote:
EDIT: If the stuff tends to be too much of a load on Mana's setup, my offer always stands.

Indeed i hope my 148 opteron, 3G ram, 160 raid 0 will bear the heavy load that forum and yet-to-develop DB-application will create ;D. But thanks, we do not know how the feedback will be once everything is finished, so every bit and every flop is welcome :)

have a nice day
mana
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mana wrote:

Indeed i hope my 148 opteron, 3G ram, 160 raid 0 will bear the heavy load that forum and yet-to-develop DB-application will create ;D. But thanks, we do not know how the feedback will be once everything is finished, so every bit and every flop is welcome :)

have a nice day
mana

I think your Opteron 148 will take my dual 1.4 Tulatin w/ 2GB ECC anyday.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mana you have done a superb job with the forum, i am all signed up and ready to go. Personally i'd like to see that forum integrated into the website because i love the look of it!

TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job mana, it looks great :) Where can I pick up a copy of that, or is it a regstered thing that you have to pay for like VB <lame>
mana
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys :) well it was no big work with the layout, it is vanilla viscacha template :) you can go to thier website by clicking on the copyright link to the bottom. Its GPL, so it is free :)

About forum structure, my suggestion would be something like

general
+announcements
+I'd like to help!
+project discussion
+documents

project development
+dev detail discussion
+documentation
+help for new developers

oss projects
+co-operation discussion
+featured projects

what do you think?
cwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a nice structure :)
jballou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need PHP coding and MySQL stuff I can help. Not a pro, but I've made several pretty large programs for myself and work. And I have the next month off pretty much.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshyapepper wrote:
If you need PHP coding and MySQL stuff I can help. Not a pro, but I've made several pretty large programs for myself and work. And I have the next month off pretty much.
we'd appreciate you joining the [url=http://food.seposition.net/forum ]forum [/url]because we will need all the help we can get

aridhol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
freshyapepper wrote:
we'd appreciate you joining the forum because we will need all the help we can get

Fixed link ;)
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aridhol wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
freshyapepper wrote:
we'd appreciate you joining the forum because we will need all the help we can get
Fixed link ;)
lol

bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in helping with this project. I do PHP and MySQL.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
freshyapepper wrote:
we'd appreciate you joining the [url=http://food.seposition.net/forum ]forum [/url]because we will need all the help we can get

oi cokey!
what's that all about if I may ask?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidy wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
freshyapepper wrote:
oi cokey!
what's that all about if I may ask?
it is meant to be a beacon where people who can offer help for free, do so. And the people who need help can find it.

Hopefully everyone who wants to code, has server space or has some spare time to translate can help other people.

aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coke that's wonderful

like all those stupid hire a coder site, but now OSS and all

... that's like fixing tons of problems

boredom.ToDustBin( "HYPERFASTLY" );
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined, so what are the plans...
have you guys got a sort of 'resume' system already or isn't that desired.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidy wrote:
I joined, so what are the plans...
have you guys got a sort of 'resume' system already or isn't that desired.
What we need at the moment is to sort out how it is being done, where and when. We need to have a good old discussion about it on the forums.

Hopefully we will get lots of people who 'just want to code' who can help others out. 1 primary rule - it must be for free.

aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha I see

not much I can do right now then...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: