grub boot disk worked !, detecting CD drive did *not* :(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goanuj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: grub boot disk worked !, detecting CD drive did *not* :( Reply with quote

i'm tried using grub to boot the /isolinux directory on my Thinkpad 240x laptop cuz the damn thing does not have a bootable USB drive or cd drive (but it is so cute and tiny)

I have already copied all of stage 3 onto my /dev/hda7 partition so now I am trying to use grub to boot it up.

basically I followed this post:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=27951

Code:

grub> kernel (hd0,6)/isolinux/gentoo acpi=on root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
grub> initrd=(hd0,6)/isolinux/initrd
grub> boot

Yah it booted!

BOO, the boot process did not detect my PCMCIA external CD drive. (will get the exact error message later) Says something to the effect of "Mounting CD failed -- could not find /dev/cdrom0/cdrom"
I hypothesize that this is due to the CD drive being an external drive through PCMCIA no less. :(

What do I do now?

Once I get gentoo installed, I am going to post a HOWTO (step by step) as to how I got it working on the Thinkpad 240x (I'm sure it will help someone !)
StuBear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Knoppix? (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html for English, links to other languages on the page)

They have a floppy image on the CD. I've used it to install gentoo on a old compaq that didn't have support for booting from CD.

Just boot up knoppix, open an Xterm, and follow the instructions on the alternative install page (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml)
You want section 3.Installing Gentoo from an existing Linux distribution .

Good luck
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also running into the same problems. I have a cute little ThinkPad 701 CS I am trying to get Gentoo onto with a PCMCIA Panasonic KXL-783A External CD-ROM Player.

So the Knoppix floppy image would get me up to accessing the Gentoo CD? If not, what about loading a driver for my D-Link PCMCIA DFE-670TXD to do a net install?

I would enjoy a how-to for a 240x, as it might apply to my 701CS (A.K.A. ButterFly).

Also, I tried using the Smart BootManager to boot off of the PCMCIA CD-ROM with no evail. I needed the IO port address for the card for SBM to see the drive. Anyone know what IO ports to use for this PC card? Does it matter that it is a SCSI-2 CD-ROM hooked up to the PCMCIA card?
goanuj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: other questions Reply with quote

I also want to boot from Knoppix, however, I need the IO ports as well.

If I could find the right fscking module for my external PCMCIA card i may be able to insmod it and then access the CD drive, but I need help, I will try to get the information about the drive from my windows partition.

Well I found the external IO ports for my Toshiba XM-1902B (0x180,0x386) however, it does not look like Smart Boot detects or turns on the PCMCIA device. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Alternatively I need a bootdisk that can.

1. mount an ext3 drive
2. detect and use my pcmcia nic (3c574_cs)
3. get dhcp working!
4. chroot without errors!

I have tried toms root boot, does anyone have the 1.xxx series of the bootdisk? I heard that one did not have the chroot problems.

--Anuj
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booting the 1.4_rc3 cd kernel from the hard drive still requires the cd in the drive to complete it's bootup process. I do not know how, if it is possible, to add pcmcia cdrom support to the install kernel.

Brian
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up. I just ended up swaping my laptop hard into another laptop with a CD-ROM. The system has been emerging for about 4 days. Still going...

I gave up on the PCMCIA CD-ROM though.
reaz82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days???
what are the specs on your laptop?
and what are you emerging exactly? which stage?
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 66Mhz Pentium w/ 24MB RAM. Believe it or not, I started at stage3. Friday night I started it with an emerge -u system, and it has been going ever since. I think I gave it 100MB swap too. I am compiling it all for 486 though. Would that have anything to do with it? This hard drive will be going into a ThinkPad 701CS. Also has 24MB RAM. It's just sitting on the side. I don't really care how long it takes. Would be a big waste if it craps out though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: