Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who do I thank for the great job on Powermac G5 dual core ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerrynsr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Who do I thank for the great job on Powermac G5 dual core ? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I just started the installed on my Dual Core PowerMac G5. I bought a Seagate 320GB SATA drive, upgraded the box to 2.5GB and I am on my way!
I bought the machine beacuse I've always been a fan of the PowerPC 970, sure the G5 is a subset, but Altivec is cool. I've been running Linux on the
x86 architecture since 1992, I started on the Yggdrasil distribution. I believe Yggdrassil was the very first CDROM based distribution.

Anyway I got the preliminary stuff done. Created filesystems, emerged the portage tree, when I get home from work I will be emerging the system
and building a kernel. And so far the fans are under control! This is the FIRST distribution to work properly on the G5. Yellowdog, Ubunto, SUSE, they
do not run properly on the G5 dual Core. Gentoo appears to be the first.

I heard XEN has been ported to the PPC. I can't wait to start playing with that!

I want to thank all of you who worked hard to get the powermac G5's cooling system under control. Especially when the all the other Linux Distributions dropped the ball on this one. they forgot about the good old days. Again, many thanks! I hope to contribute code on this platform soon! :D
stmiller
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would like to, you can donate from a link on the top right of http://www.gentoo.org/
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: drop into irc Reply with quote

Hey, drop into #gentoo-ppc64 and let the good folks know there, although we can only take credit for the release media; there has been lots of kernel work, which we picked up, being done by the community.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: