2006.0 Install for x86?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: 2006.0 Install for x86? Reply with quote

So far I have only installed Gentoo 2005.1 and I was going to install 2006.0, and I found that there is no universal, only a liveCD and minimal. Now I'm assuming that the liveCD replaced the universal, but no stages are included on the CD. So I then started looking in the handbook thinking that maybe the location changed, and I found that the stages are no longer included. So my question is... why? Why did you decide not to include the stages on the CD for x86 anymore?
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006.0 Install for x86? Reply with quote

rivitir wrote:
So my question is... why? Why did you decide not to include the stages on the CD for x86 anymore?

Because too much users shot themselves in the foot (using stage 1), leading to lot of developers time wasted by helping them to fix it. Just do the installation and rebuild with your config changes. That's faster than building from stage 1 anyways. The stage 1 tarball (available on the mirrors) is only useful as a starting point, when you want to create a custom iso.
rivitir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that information, however, I think I need to reword the question since I was actually asking about stage3. Why did you remove stage3 from the CD so you have to download it, but yet keep the portage snapshot on it?
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivitir wrote:
Why did you remove stage3 from the CD so you have to download it, but yet keep the portage snapshot on it?

I'm not involved with release building, but afaik place constrains were the reason, not to include an extra stage 3 tarball. But the release does a stage 3 equivalent installation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: